Gunboards Forums banner

1973 K31

4K views 33 replies 11 participants last post by  Heirmossy 
#1 ·
How many known 1973 manufactured K31's are out there? I've tried looking online but nothing comes up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

#32 ·
Probably a custom setup for the owner. Some match shooters seem to like that type of trigger. I have a Finnish model 28-76 that the trigger is the same way - just pull it through and there's no feel for the letoff at all. I got the gun as it came from the importer. And by the way, that's one beautiful rifle. Nice wood on the buttstock. I'm severely envious.

#15 ·
Sometimes it isn't realised the Private (Commercial) series didn't stop when the military issue ceased. As demonstrated by Gustro 79.
I'm fortunate to have a 1945 dated P series, with the details of former owner. It came with a 1911 Kar. #31*** issued to his father, and used by him in WWII as a border guard.
They both came from the owners daughter/grand daughter who had had them seized by the constabulary for not being secured, slated for destruction, but by pure chance I heard of it and was able to have them rescued. They come with life stories and obituaries.
Both fit nicely in my small collection of Swiss from Millbank- Amsler, Peabody, etc.

#16 · (Edited)
The 1970 era models , in the 265,xxx to 271,xxx range, were supposed to be spare/unused military parts assembled by W&F or sold to Hammerali to be assembled as P marked match models.

These rifles were available new, from Hammerali until at least 1974/5, when the company was bought by SIG. Not sure after, though Lenzburg continued to assemble SIG P220 pistols well after 1975. In any case I believe the W&F records are incomplete as they do not include the rifle actions transferred to Hammerali for set up as competition rifles.

The last 7.5 rifles I have read about were the 1983 50 year models, assembled by W&F from parts on hand in 1983/84 (test targets are from 1984). Oddly enough these rifles serial numbers seem to bounce around.

The last .22 rifles were in 1991 assembled from stock on hand.

The first year a STGW 57 was privated that I have read about was around 1988 (minus one year and plus 2). So up until at least 1987, the rifles used by ex-service men was the K31. The last advertisement I have seen for barrel replacement was from around 1984.

#19 ·
The serial number range is not 100% reliable to determine the production date for the late P serials, especially for the ones the serial numbers fall off the records. Take off the butt plate and look at the date stamped on the butt stock. It might give you some hints. I have a Wyss Waffen sponsored 1980 shooting event prize K31 with a serial number of P2700xx. The date on the butt stock is 8/1975. All I can assume is that the rile was assembled sometime between 1975 and 1980.

#25 · (Edited)
Is it too much to ask for you to take one of the top of the reciever with barrel shank?
Gorgeous stock. Do you guys think I should make mine more of a satin finish instead of shiny like it is now? I never really liked the glossy look of it to be honest.

#30 ·
I won't. That's why I asked you guys. I have a lot of respect for the condition of these relics considering we are in fact custodians of them until they are passed on to the next collector. I appreciate your opinion and loke I mentioned I will abide.

#33 ·
It makes for some serious surprise breaks and I can shoot it pretty dang good. It is the most accurate rifle I own with my B barrel M39 in close second.
Thank you. I'm just glad I finally made somewhat of a contribution to this forum. Glad ya'll enjoyed the rifle. I just hope to see more of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.