Gunboards Forums banner

Finn captured untouched PE snipers, open holes

4K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  CH 
#1 ·
Here's two Finn PE snipers that I just got. One is '35 and another one looks like '35 that for whatever reason was restamed to '36. All matching with the exception of butt plates (both sanitized) and restamped '36 has non matching floor plate. But I guess it's not the case where you should be picky about 100% matching parts:). Beautiful bores on both and not counter bored. Both rifles are in two piece Finn stocks, one of them was never finished. I plan on using pine tar mix on unfinished stock. Isn't that what Finns used on their stocks? What you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
added pic of '39

Looks like one is '36 and the other is 35 overstamped with 6? If they were mine I would do nothing to the wood. They are rare and highly desirable as they are. I have 3 finn capture snipers, two top mount '37s and a really scarce top mount '39 with pot bellied finn stock like yours.. My '39 has a finish like your 35/6, seems like some kind of oil finish.... Congrats on a great find!

Attachments

#4 ·
+Infinity

Please don't be "that guy" who gleefully fixes what doesn't need to be fixed. Your rifles do not need to be refinished.

I simply can't believe these lessons are never learned despite the wealth of material waiting just a few clicks away.

#6 ·
1935s over stamped to 36 have turned up in the past. I had an ex PE sniper that was stamped the same way and others have been noted in the past. Great rifles to pick up! I have a couple of my own that I hope to re-scope someday. Its a tough decision for me about cutting the stocks they were imported in and lean toward finding donor stocks for mine and keeping the Finn stocks as they are.

#9 ·
The plain brown stock is an identical finish to my mint P-series and is original. Look at the splices -if they are square it is postwar.

A Russian sniper was captured in a Mosin stock, so if there is cutting required, find an old Mosin stock with screw-in escutcheons rather than a Finn stock.

#10 · (Edited)
I guess it's really meant to be:laugh:just found ebay lot of three mosin stocks with two of them being prewar with screw in brass escutcheons. Should have them next week. As for splices they are rounded on both rifles.
Also what would be time correct barrel bands for these stocks. Can anybody post a picture please? I'd like to have them assembled and keep them as part of the history of these rifles after I swap them into soviet stocks.

#16 ·
Most definitely))) just waiting for donor stocks to arrive and cutting will begin. Contacted Mike at Mosin parts for bolt service but so far no answer:confused: other than that should be easiest conversion ever:)

#17 ·
I mentioned in my previous post that bolts aside, it should be easiest conversion ever... Well it wasn't. Turns out both bases needed to be hand fitted to the receiver. Before I realized it I stripped two screws:mad Both bases are in dug up condition however serve it's purpose 100%. I promise once I find NOS i'll swap;)One had some rust/oxidation build up in the holes, so I had to open them up a bit with dremel and diamond bit. The other one was sitting just a fraction of a millimeter too high so I ended up filing the bottom of the base. Once filed the base holes aligned perfectly with the receiver holes. Receiver holes also needed some cleanup from old, solidified cosmoline. I think that's why I stripped the first two screws. Some WD40, wire brush and bunch of swears in Russian did the trick:laugh:BTW while the stocks were removed i looked at receiver tangs. The over stamped 35/36 is 35 on the tang, and 36 is 36 on the tang. As for bolts Mike at mosin parts never responded so I' going with Boltman. Here's so far the progress:

#18 ·
I mentioned in my previous post that bolts aside, it should be easiest conversion ever... Well it wasn't. Turns out both bases needed to be hand fitted to the receiver. Before I realized it I stripped two screws:mad Both bases are in dug up condition however serve it's purpose 100%. I promise once I find NOS i'll swap;)One had some rust/oxidation build up in the holes, so I had to open them up a bit with dremel and diamond bit. The other one was sitting just a fraction of a millimeter too high so I ended up filing the bottom of the base. Once filed the base holes aligned perfectly with the receiver holes. Receiver holes also needed some cleanup from old, solidified cosmoline. I think that's why I stripped the first two screws. Some WD40, wire brush and bunch of swears in Russian did the trick:laugh:BTW while the stocks were removed i looked at receiver tangs. The over stamped 35/36 is 35 on the tang, and 36 is 36 on the tang. As for bolts Mike at mosin parts never responded so I' going with Boltman. Here's so far the progress:
View attachment 2101754 View attachment 2101762 View attachment 2101770 View attachment 2101778

Beautiful.. send them to my house now. FYI Receiver and base holes vary significantly IMO. I believe that the base was mounted on the receiver and they were both drilled/tapped in place at the same time, Thus the variance when trying to use a original base on a rifle it was not numbered to. .Also why they were numbered . Hope you polished the trigger parts when you had them open. : love that battlefield look. 5000+ pieces of history. Far rarer than most k98s

#21 ·
I do not think it is ever easy to put bases and screws back on a top mount PE, a side mount PEM or a PU even if you have a rifle that was never "de-snipered and welded" and/or has an "original" base. The variations in rifles, bases and even the screws make the process a PIA.

#23 ·
Yes the variance can be half a hole at times I've found. Pretty rare to have one drop on actually.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.