Quick bullet casting tips

Thread: Quick bullet casting tips

Default Quick bullet casting tips

I just got a new lee mold for the hollowbase .459" Frankford Arsenal bullet designed for the Trapdoor cavalry loads. Typical cleaning, degreasing and smoking the blocks prior to casting and I also set the mold on an electric burner to warm up while lead in the pot is coming up to casting temperature.

One of the things nobody mentions is cleaning lead pot electrical plug. Mine is 40 years old & works fine, but it seemed to take longer to heat up recently. I cleaned off the oxidation on the brass prongs & the pot seems to heat up much quicker now.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Nice tip,I clean my pot on a regular basis and although it's not that old it probably wouldn't hurt to clean the plug as well.
    Linux Mint KDE 18.1 64 Bit

Frankford Arsenal Drop Out Bullet Mold Release Agent and Lube 6 oz Aerosol $9.99
    $1.67/Ounce MSRP: $12.99

Suggest you try this ... The spray can paints a thin graphite layer easily without filling any grooves or build up. Cast bullets will not stick to the mold and fall out easily or with a slight shake when opening the mold. I can do about 100 .45 per coating and thousands per can which goes a very long way.
    Residue can be washed off with carb cleaner spray to return the mold to pristine clean. You can re-coat a hot mold if necessary although it works better cold.

I park my 6 cavity mold on top of the Lee lead pot between fillings and adding lead to keep it up to temp.
    Completely drain and empty the pot every few thousands and scrub out the residue that accumulates on the walls and spout.
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence.
    Thomas Jefferson

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

If you have to smoke the mold, you do not have every other aspect correct. There is never a need to smoke if the lead and mold temp re correct.

Quote Originally Posted by musketshooter View Post
    If you have to smoke the mold, you do not have every other aspect correct. There is never a need to smoke if the lead and mold temp re correct.

In their instructions, Lee says you do.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    In their instructions, Lee says you do.
    I used to smoke my Lee molds as well but stopped doing it several years ago and haven't done it since. Bullets still drop out just fine.
    Linux Mint KDE 18.1 64 Bit