Colt 1991 NIB junk?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colt 1991 NIB junk?

Default Colt 1991 NIB junk?

Someone one here was saying these 80 series colts are junk.This is unfired in box I picked up for 450.00,if its junk then I got screwed.Any opinions on this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MVC-020S.JPG   MVC-018S.JPG   MVC-017S.JPG   MVC-016S.JPG   MVC-015S.JPG  

You stole it. In these parts that would be another couple $ hundred more.

The M1991A1 are no-frills Colt Series 80 1911s. Nothing wrong with them that a bit of polishing of the firing pin block bits, tuning of the sear spring, and tuning of the extractor won't fix.

Shoot it.

Noah

Quote Originally Posted by Noah Zark View Post
    You stole it. In these parts that would be another couple $ hundred more.

The M1991A1 are no-frills Colt Series 80 1911s. Nothing wrong with them that a bit of polishing of the firing pin block bits, tuning of the sear spring, and tuning of the extractor won't fix.

Shoot it.

Noah
    Not a thing I would like, the series 80 excess junk in the pistol.

Blackie

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The 1991 series was to offer a slightly lower priced gun to the buyers.
    Colt used the exact same forged and milled slide, frame, barrel and other parts as all the top end models.
    Where they were able to lower the price was in the dull blue or satin stainless finish instead of the higher end polished flats and hard rubber grips instead of nice wood.

Most of them that I've seen needed nothing right out of the box to be 100% reliable and excellent shooting Colt's.

The Series 80 parts are not anywhere near the problem that people assumed when it first appeared.
    Everyone assumed the trigger would be terrible. Most were not.
    All good 1911 pistolsmiths know all about how to get a really great trigger with the Series 80 parts, and you get a drop safety as an added layer of protection if it gets fumbled and dropped.
    Truth is, not that meany even experienced shooters can ID by feel a Series 80 trigger compared to a stock Series 70 type in blind tests.

Depending on the actual condition, for $450 this was armed robbery and the seller was the one robbed....By at least $200.

Quote Originally Posted by 1911SHOOTER View Post
    Not a thing I would like, the series 80 excess junk in the pistol.

Blackie
    What junk ?? So the series 80's have the FP block and associated levers. The little levers require such tiny movement it makes no difference ina properly set up 1911. Like Noah said, a little polishing if needed and it is a lot smoother. Sit down with the complete frame if you never have, a wee bit of pressure on the trigger and the levers move up. Push the actual block/plunger, it takes just an "if" of a push and it will disengage.

I am currently running a Lwt Commander Seies 80, and qualify with no problem. I switched from a Les Baer (series 70 style), due to weight and a bunged up hip. Did the Baer have a better trigger, honestly yes. But I would expect that from a hand built $2400 1911. And to put it in perspective, I started carrying a 1911, Stainless Series 80 as my duty weapon in 1996, Switched to a Kimber TLE in Feb 2004 after I shot the snot out of that Colt. The Kimber for what ever reason was a Friday afternoon build. It never would run 100%. I dumped it for the Les Baer in may 2004. I also picked up a Wilson CQB, safe queen that one was. I have owned/shot three Series 70's, several military 1911's, one Para 9mm commander, one Kimber 9mm commander size, and three Officers ACP's.

Am I under-gunned with my Series 80, hell no!!! Just enjoy the piece of machinery and shoot the vilified Series 80's and go with it.
    /Steve C

Lithgow 1920 No I MK III
    Lithgow 1941 No1 MK III
    Maltby 1942 No 4 MK I
    Long Branch 1943 No 4 MK I*/ 7.62 Conv.
    Long Branch 1944 No 4 MK I*
    Fazarkley 10/47 dated No 5 MK I
    Fazarkley FTR 47 No 4 MK II
    Fazarkley 9/53 No 4 MK II PF series

If you can't smile at yourself, then why even be !

Quote Originally Posted by junker View Post
    Someone one here was saying these 80 series colts are junk.This is unfired in box I picked up for 450.00,if its junk then I got screwed.Any opinions on this?
    junker, I would step up to the plate and take that nasty ol' Series 80 P.O.S. off your hands. I mean if it would help I am here for you.
    /Steve C

Lithgow 1920 No I MK III
    Lithgow 1941 No1 MK III
    Maltby 1942 No 4 MK I

Its junk, if you send it to me immediatly and I will take care of it for you.
    Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ---- Josey Wales

Junk? Hahaha hell no! The one I have is a fantastic gun and the one I carry the most.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Yes, I have an opinion. You didn't get screwed, you made out like a bandit. Seller screwed himself.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

My opinion; every opinion, unless you know him/her, personally, on an internet forum, is worth exactly what one pays for it.

My other opinion, it's a Colt, and you got one hell of a great deal!
    Fine Print:
    The preceeding opinion should be considered only as an opinion and not legal advice. In no event will the poster, Unbekannt, be held liable to any party for any damages arising in any way out of the availability, use, reliance on or inability to use poster's opinion or any information provided by or through the poster, or for any claim attributable to errors, omissions or other inaccuracies in, or destructive properties of any information provided by or through the poster.

It's not junk. You got a great deal on a great gun. Shoot it and you'll see.

I have had a stainless government model Series 80 for probably 15 years. It has never failed to go "bang" when I pulled the trigger. I used to think that there was something wrong with it because it had a couple of little dog-leg pieces between the trigger and the hammer, and I actually had to go online to see how to put the little pieces back into it when I cleaned it the first time. Now I don't worry about it one little bit. It is a very reliable piece of equipment and will shoot just as well as any out-of-the-box Colt you find. The only things I changed was that I added green fiber optic sights and Crimson Trace laser grips. I would not have made those changes on my GI WWI 1911, but I had no problem upgrading the Series 80. It's not a collector's item..... yet........ , so have fun with it. And YES you got a great deal.

You stole that gun, seller lost out!

But the fact is is that 80 series just complicate the gun and were a lawyer fix to a problem that didn't exist and are completely unnecessary to to the function of the gun.

It's a 1911 shoot fix shoot improve....shoot for ever!

It's mass produced junk that only you peons would shoot. A real devoted 1911 shooter won't accept anything other than a custom 1911, starting at about $2500. Not that its a better pistol but it lets us elitists sneer at you lesser beings.
    211 BC: I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Gnaeus Fulvius Centumalus Maximus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a denarius in any one day.

2016 AD: To enhance our community's aggregate through multi-platform metrics of media synergy catalyzing integrated outcomes of macro-disciplines toward inclusive methodology paradigms generating positive algorithms of unwavering commitment to our children, the flag, and God.

Colt will soon be out of business, and the pistol you bout is going to triple in value.

Thanks guys for the info and comments!Will have to shoot it and see how I like it,it is a Colt,bet it runs fine.I did a search and it said the ser. no range on these is a continuation of the ww2 1911a1 colt pistols,kind of neat.

lol Jjk! I traded for a Series 80 about 25 years ago. Into it for less than it's polite to say. Didn't run good at first. Stripped,cleaned,polished the usual suspects. Scratched my head over the extra little parts, frowned at the bushing and fit, gave the slide a little squeeze in the vise, hand lapped the frame/slide fit a few hundred times, reassembled and test fired. Hasn't missed a lick since then. Carried it while working for a rural SO. It's spent all of its days working. Rides in motorcycle saddlebags in all weathers, door pocket of my big trucks, under the seat of my pickups, gets shot whenever and wherever and braves it all. It's not jealous of any of the others in my safe either. Replaced a bushing and a couple of mags(my own fault) and a Cerakote refinish a few years back.(about time too). So as a confirmed unwashed heathen with friends in low places, I say shoot it till your hands get sore or you won't have faith. And you did steal it!!

Last year I purchased a new Colt 1991 series 80. It is a 9mm in Stainless. I made a few mods to eliminate the drop safety FP block. I removed those parts and installed the spacer to keep stuff from moving around. I installed a heavier firing pin rebound spring from Wolff. I am not sure that this improved the trigger performance much. It was crisp with a 3.5 pound pull NIB. Now it's 3 lbs and still crisp. I'm not sure that I can even feel the difference so I probably wasted a little time and money. I am a compulsive tinkerer so I had fun doing the work but, in retrospect, I don't think it was needed.

Feeding HP bullets can be a little iffy but everyone with a 1911 knows that. I have switched over to Wilson Combat and CMC mags designed to overcome 9mm feeding issues in traditional 1911's (those without ramped barrels) and they seem to do the trick. I am mostly a recreational shooter so I shoot FMJ ammo most of the time anyway.

Overall, I think my 1991 meets or exceeds my expectations and you should expect the same. I spent about $300 more than you so I envy your purchase.
    97th Signal Bn, Germany, 1960-63

I believe the person calling that junk also thought Hillary was going to win!!

22. Default

Junker Yea Yea that's the ticket You got screwed cut your losses now I will give you $350 for it today. Nothing wrong with it I have had one for over 5 years never had a hiccup out of it.

Had many (some, still) Colts and the best trigger is on a $450 Series 80, with all the "junk" in place. Junk is a myth, but so are brand names, regardless of whom. Enjoy your 1911!

You should fill so bad for buying that gun at that price so bad that you should sell it to me.for $350 awesome deal man wish I had it in my hands.

It's kind of like the comparison of an 870 Express to an 870 Wingmaster.
    "I have owned every gun I've ever wanted, unfortunately not all at the same time." me

I don't think they are junk. I picked up this one about 13 years ago for just under $400. It was in a near stock configuration when I got it, made some changes to it since. Novak sights, new trigger and trigger job, hammer spur trimmed for grip safety, slim grips, flat MSH and lanyard loop.
    Attachment 2059274
    Last edited by idpassr; 03-19-2017 at 01:38 PM. Reason: forgot part

I've owned quite a few 1911s, and still own several. I've had WWIs, WWIIs, 70s, 80s, custom builds, Baers, S&Ws, RIAs, and I will tell you now, I would not hesitate to buy that one at that price. You did well. Enjoy the Colt, the are a pleasure.

Shoot the snot out of it and don't worry about it. You got one of the best deals on a Colt, I would buy ten like that if they were available.

Steve..........

I hope the OP and others wondering now know the truth: this is a fine pistol. Series 80 and 90 Colts are trustworthy reliable pistols and if the purists wish to perpetuate the stigma they are not "Series 70" and let good men gain this pistols cheaper on the market....its all good. I started a thread on this whole subject under Modern Handgun forum her on GB....its worth reading for those wondering about Series 70,80 and 90 pistols. I will jump to a bottom line ..the same purist crown in 1970 went into fits and slandered the 70 Series Colt as heresy for changing Brownings design....and today Series 70 is considered the gold standard.

On this and the other tread we have have the few who don't know and repeat the myths they've heard....negative remarks . However as you can see here on this thread the informed have stepped up and defended the truth.

Beyond the deal (it was killer ) for the OP, he got a great pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by dfariswheel View Post
    The 1991 series was to offer a slightly lower priced gun to the buyers.
    Colt used the exact same forged and milled slide, frame, barrel and other parts as all the top end models.
    Where they were able to lower the price was in the dull blue or satin stainless finish instead of the higher end polished flats and hard rubber grips instead of nice wood.

Most of them that I've seen needed nothing right out of the box to be 100% reliable and excellent shooting Colt's.

The Series 80 parts are not anywhere near the problem that people assumed when it first appeared.
    Everyone assumed the trigger would be terrible. Most were not.
    All good 1911 pistolsmiths know all about how to get a really great trigger with the Series 80 parts, and you get a drop safety as an added layer of protection if it gets fumbled and dropped.
    Truth is, not that meany even experienced shooters can ID by feel a Series 80 trigger compared to a stock Series 70 type in blind tests.

Depending on the actual condition, for $450 this was armed robbery and the seller was the one robbed....By at least $200.
    +1. I bought one new many years ago...while the trigger is crap, the gun was 100% reliable right out of the box. They come with the feed ramp smoothed and chamber throated from the factory. I ran 5 different types of hollow points, including the CCI/SPEER 200 gr "flying ashtray" and all fed and functioned 100%. I still have it, and while I have done a few mods to it (its a 1911, that's what you do ), none were related to making it more reliable, since you can't improve on 100%.

Shoot and enjoy, they are great pistols. You got a very good deal.

Being the great guy I am, I will trade you 2(count them, two) Hi Point handguns(your choice of caliber) for that junk 80. The Hi Points always go BANG! and they will be newer(manufactured date) and NIB.

Please send me all of your NIB Colt 1991 pistols. I will take the junk off your hands and happily pay you $95 for each of those junkers. An extra $5 for each one arriving with the original blue box and two original Colt magazines.

We unfortunately have a faction on the forums that quickly label anything they do not like as "junk". Colt and other major firearms manufacturers do not build and sell inferior products or " junk". There are usually different grades of firearms from the same company and priced accordingly and also some products have teething problems and we find out how good the company is when returned for warranty work.
    I have a couple of Government models with the FP block and find they are in the running construction an finish wise with the other 1911's in their price range, but certainly no " junk"."

I got one soon after they came out. I had 3 FTF's in the first 200 rounds and only one since (over 1000 rounds). It is still completely original. I shoot mostly SWC's through it with no problem. My son's semi-custom 1911 won't do that. You got a great gun at a great price. It will bring you much pleasure with very few problems.
    Last edited by PaulBourbin; 03-19-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: left out a word

Here in Maine that would be a $600-$700 gun. I'd have grabbed it at that price as well! I would just put a short trigger and arched mainspring housing on it.

You got one heck of a dell the one I have is a series 80 Gold Cup national match S.S.
    shoots like a dream and cost me a heck of a lot more than yours and it had those ugly hoge grips I cut front section out still did not like so went online got a set org.wood grips with gold badges and now look right
    Last edited by truckman; 03-19-2017 at 10:02 PM. Reason: adding

Brother, I am so sorry to see you disappointed. I know how frustrating it can be. Tell you what. I in a benevolent mood. I will take it off your hands for what you paid for it and even pay for shipping just to make you feel better. How's that for taking care of our brothers. Just let me know when you want me to send my address to you so we can get that nasty thing off your hands.

These were offered for a time(~20-25 years ago) to NRA instructor's for a hefty 30-40% discount. You could also get a commander or officers model 1991A1-same deal. I think you could buy max of 2 for the reduced price. Still roughly what you paid but long ago... Any NIB Colt anything for $450 is a bargain.

Its a 1911 colt it's going to still be a colt after you shoot the heck out of it...when you improve it and sale it later it's still a 1911 that runs like a Olympic star...may in third place for looks small things ....but it's a bargain gun at a excellent price.
    I didn't like the finish on my, trigger...stamping on the slide...never shot it traded it made a profit...
    The other guy shot the heavy ball out of it love it....
    I shouldn't has set it beside my Gold Cup in the safe ....red head step child feeling!

My father, who now is deceased, gave me the money to buy a Colt 1991A1 back in 1999. It runs like a champ, never had a jam, any stoppages or anything else with it. My father said he was issued a 1911 during his time in the Navy but never shot one, he just carried one on his hip in his official duties when he need one, we are talking the 1950's time frame, as part of his duties was to pick up 'official mail' and was given a pistol to do so. One day my father went with me to the range, the one and only time he ever did this in his life as I knew him, he fired this pistol shooting 7 rounds out of it and hit the X ring 7 times at 25 yards. He commented, well I guess if I had to ever use the one I was issued, I would have hit the target. He never again shot another round in his life. And I still have and use this pistol, I would never sell, trade or get rid of it, it has a good memory for me

Dennis L. Hernandez (1933 - 2008) went to 'boot camp' at Bainbridge, Maryland. He served in the U.S.N. from 1951 - 1961 and he was a TEQ - Teleman (Cryptographer), he served on different ships such as the U.S.S. Goodrich DDR-831; U.S.S Flechteler DDR-870; U.S.S. LST 32 'Alameda County'; U.S.S. Greenwich Bay AVP-41 which he was aboard during the Suez Crisis in 1956 with U.S. Navy Middle East Force.
    He also served in Naples, Italy with Command Mediterranean Fleet and as his first duty station after his rating (technical) school at Naval Air Station Port Lyautey, Morocco, which he was part of the opening of this facility in 1951 and later when we lived in Rabat, Morocco, as he was with the State Department Foreign Service working at the embassy there, he was invited to be the 'guest of honor' when it was shutdown in 1977.

This picture is of him with a Model 1903 at 'boot camp' at Bainbridge, Maryland in 1951, the one and only time he ever handled a rifle during his time in service and his life, he qualified 'Expert' with it.

Patrick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dad USN.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	49.7 KB 
ID:	2061578

His son, me, in Iraq in 2005 / 2006 as part of USAF 577th ERHS, 332nd AEW

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	patrick 235.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	161.6 KB 
ID:	2061586
    Last edited by 1886lebel; 03-20-2017 at 09:08 AM.
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 18602014

Patrick, thanks for sharing that memory !!! And thank you both for your service !!
    Last edited by tahoe; 03-20-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: info
    /Steve C

Lithgow 1920 No I MK III
    Lithgow 1941 No1 MK III
    Maltby 1942 No 4 MK I

Thank you guys again!Thanks for posting that Patrick and thanks for your service.Is there anyway to tell by the serial number what year this one was made,1991?I really like the 45 cal 1911s,didnt know they were made in 9mm,anyway sounds like most guys are of the opinion these are good quality pistols.Thanks for the offers guys but this one aint going anywhere!

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by junker View Post
    Thank you guys again!Thanks for posting that Patrick and thanks for your service.Is there anyway to tell by the serial number what year this one was made,1991?I really like the 45 cal 1911s,didnt know they were made in 9mm,anyway sounds like most guys are of the opinion these are good quality pistols.Thanks for the offers guys but this one aint going anywhere!
    Also .38 ACP and .38 Super (originally issued as Super .38). And, in the Delta Elite model, 10mm.

My DOM booklet indicates 1991A1 started with S/N 2693616 in 1991; 2764353 in 1997; and 2773346 in 1998, numbers indicated as not available 1992-1996. Hope that helps.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

could you look up my gun a series 80 gold cup ser.#SNO1251E thanks

You got a great deal and I know many people who love them. Finish wear is a problem for some, but that is what replacement parts are for.

I don't think this is junk.
    "Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."

Will Rogers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast