Need Identification Help on Finnish SA marked Bag

Thread: Need Identification Help on Finnish SA marked Bag

Default Need Identification Help on Finnish SA marked Bag

I could use some assistance in identifying this strange, presumably Finnish bag that I came by recently. The bag is very well used, with an SA marked strap across the top. It has numerous sewn repairs on the interior. I presume that it would have been used to carry a gas mask or perhaps miscellaneous gear? Any ideas?

Thanks for any leads or info.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170211_215047 (1).jpg   IMG_20170211_215054 (1).jpg   IMG_20170211_215105.jpg   IMG_20170211_215109.jpg   IMG_20170211_214912.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Airbornetrooper View Post
    The bag is very well used, with an SA marked strap across the top. It has numerous sewn repairs on the interior. I presume that it would have been used to carry a gas mask or perhaps miscellaneous gear? Any ideas?
    Not knowing the dimensions, this is probably a bag for carrying Degtyaryov and/or Lahti-Saloranta light machine gun magazines as suggested by the [SA] T marking.

Finnish Lahti-Saloranta Machine-gun Magazine Bag, Surplus - Varusteleka.fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mangrove View Post
    Not knowing the dimensions, this is probably a bag for carrying Degtyaryov and/or Lahti-Saloranta light machine gun magazines as suggested by the [SA] T marking.

Finnish Lahti-Saloranta Machine-gun Magazine Bag, Surplus - Varusteleka.fi
    Good call Mangrove. I too have had one of these bags for years & could never make much sense of how to use it & what exactly it was used for. Leave it to the guys at Varusteleka to clear things up in only a way they can lol!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Really! Matt I used to carry my lunch in that smelly bag.
    Now I'm going to have to clean that rifle!!

Thanks all, especially Alsky. Makes sense now, bag seems about the right dimensions for pan magazine of the DP.

Quote Originally Posted by Alsky View Post
    Really! Matt I used to carry my lunch in that smelly bag.
    Sure it wasn't your barf bag! Denny

Quote Originally Posted by Airbornetrooper View Post
    Thanks all, especially Alsky. Makes sense now, bag seems about the right dimensions for pan magazine of the DP.
    The bag was originally designed for Lahti-Saloranta m/26 LMG magazines (with 10 mags carried in each bag), but ultimately Finnish Army ended up using them for carrying magazines for all kinds of light machineguns and submachine guns that were in Finnish inventory. Might be worth noting that very few Finnish-issued automatic weapons came with magazine pouches or -carriers of any kind during World War 2. At the same time the number of magazines carried for each Lahti-Saloranta LMG was reduced in drastic manner, hence much less of these bags were needed for their original purpose.

Jarkko