Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- lots of expensive rimfires

Thread: Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- lots of expensive rimfires

Default Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- lots of expensive rimfires

I've been going to this show for years, and normally I can find something interesting to take home, but this year I left things on the racks.

In the "almost" category were a Stevens Model 75 and a Remington Model 12, $300 each with honest wear and needed some cleaning. Also saw a an interesting but sad old competition rifle: It was made from an Mauser 98 German military action and had a bull barrel for $150, but it was chromed and the chrome was rusty; and the homemade stock looks like it was made by beavers and then left in someone's garage for decades.

The expensive one I almost bit on was a Remington Model 37 dated 1947 that was gorgeous, no sights but all the mounting blocks, one magazine and a single-loader, $800. Gunbroker had two, one in similar condition thats around half that, and one that can't sell for $900. I'm guessing its gonna go home with the seller.

----

As far as asking prices go, they were pretty nuts. I could not find a single Winchester 1890, 1906, 61, 63, or anything else Winchester in .22 for under a grand, most looked brand-new/restored though. Ditto for Marlin 1897s (thought the 39s were all about $700 to a grand); though a saw a couple later autoloaders for reasonable that I saw last year (seller was a bit of a jerk to me). Lots of older single-shot boys rifles from all manufacturers out there, didn't really get prices. Saw an SMLE conversion from a very early model to a No 2 Mk IV Trainer for $1300. No Swiss .22s this year.

Its still a great show to see stuff and walk around, but its getting harder for me to find good stuff there in terms of rimfires.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

2. Default

This has been the trend at all (or most) gun shows. It's sad to see, but I don't see things going back to the "good old days" now that the internet, Iphones etc. dominate our society.

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    This has been the trend at all (or most) gun shows. It's sad to see, but I don't see things going back to the "good old days" now that the internet, Iphones etc. dominate our society.
    Its a mixed blessing. The Internet helps to find all kinds of obscure stuff, but its pretty much killed shopping malls and antique stores dead.

On the other hand, there are enough old-timers at this particular show that they still don't use the Internet

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp