Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- duality of shotguns

Thread: Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- duality of shotguns

Default Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- duality of shotguns

Normally I do not pay attention to shotguns at this show, but I saw a few interesting ones this go around.

As usual. the doubles were either crazy expensive or hulks, also lots of older blackpowder ones, just walked on by.

* Saw an incredibly well-worn Marlin 1898 for $250, the finish was *gone* and wood well-worn but solid (foregrip had some funky old varsnish on it). It just looked overly complex so I passed on it. It was accompanied by a Winchester 1897 in similar condition that felt sloppy in my hands, also $250

* I did see other 1897s, particularly trench guns, most in the the high-three/low-four digits

* I went years before seeing a Marlin Model 90 O/U, and bought one made for sears a few years back. This year, one seller had THREE. Two were upscale with longer barrels and checkered stocks, they were $750, one had a shorter barrel and was more plain-jane, that was $350

* Almost bit on a chromed Model 10, but it look beat up (very dirty) and the buttstock was missing a large chunk which exposed the back of the action. It was $150 and by the time I decided I would haggle for it, it was gone.

* Did see a couple more modern shotguns, a Mossberg 500A and Winchester Model 12s, but the prices were a bit on the high side.

Overall, still a fun show to look through, just hoping I didn't let a bargain slip away with that Marlin 1898

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Naw, you did fine passing on the marlin. $250 gun money can be better spent.

Remington Model 10? oooohhhh, you don't want that one! extremely complex, and as the example you saw proved, the stock wood in the pistol grip area is paper-thin (the bolt travels way back into the grip area). I bought one for $100 at a gunshow, and it took a youtube video to figure out how to take the action apart and put it back correctly, so that the flapper would raise a shell up in the proper timing. I found a new replacement buttstock,( because the original stock was cracked, like all the rest of them) but it took endless dremeling to get clearance for the bolt.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks, now I don't feel so bad.

Though I am still wondering if the Marlin 1898 was worth it, it looked like an oversized Model 39...

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp