Going to Sweden - what should I look for?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going to Sweden - what should I look for?

Default Going to Sweden - what should I look for?

Hey all,
    I am going to Stockholm for a few days next month, and would love to visit a gunshop or a military surplus store while I'm there.
    Should I look for any parts or equipment that may be hard to find here? I can always mail it to myself.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Bainter1212; 04-03-2017 at 03:52 PM.

find out where the no go areas are and stay away. and remember euro women are much easier to get into bed
    former member of the society of east german militaria collectors

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
    find out where the no go areas are and stay away. and remember euro women are much easier to get into bed
    Thanks, I will pass your advice on to my wife - I am sure she'll give me the OK!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Visit an IKEA. They're impossible to find anywhere else...

From the news most of sweden is a no go area. Sad

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    From the news most of sweden is a no go area. Sad
    Don't believe that news.

Quote Originally Posted by 2P Steel 6 View Post
    Visit an IKEA. They're impossible to find anywhere else...
    Hah!

Quote Originally Posted by daveccarlson View Post
    Seems to me a legitimate question by the OP: "I'm gonna go, and it'd save me
    time if I knew where a particular type of shop might be located."

So instead of getting info by, you know, someone who's actually been there and can offer an informed answer.... He get's ol' Cap'n. Jack's lewd fantasy about Swedish women and some wort of bizarre belief that Stockholm is somehow Bogotá Colombia back in the 1980s, or Mogadishu Somalia or something...

No one is more paranoid and seeking to terrorize Americans from traveling abroad than the post-11-M-'04 Madrid, post-7-7-'05 U.S. State Department.
    Here's Sweden:

"
    Sweden has been subject to terrorist incidents in the past, and the potential for a terrorist incident remains. Like other countries in the Schengen area, Sweden's open borders with its Western European neighbors could permit terrorist groups to enter and exit the country with anonymity. European governments are taking action to guard against terrorist attacks; however, all European countries remain potentially vulnerable to attacks from transnational terrorist organizations.
    Crime: Sweden has a low crime rate. Violent crimes, such as homicides and sexual assaults, do occur in Sweden; however, the majority of violent crimes occur in larger cities such as Stockholm, Gothenburg, and Malmo.

• Most crimes involve the theft of personal property from vehicles, residences, and public areas.
    • Pick-pocketing and petty theft are common in or near major tourist attractions, especially Stockholm’s Old Town, but also at restaurants, amusement parks, museums, bars, and on public transportation, including at airports.
    • Hotel breakfast rooms and lobbies attract professional, well-dressed thieves who blend in with guests and target purses and briefcases left unguarded by tourists and business travelers.
    • Do not leave your valuables in parked cars. Do not buy counterfeit or pirated goods, even if they are widely available. Not only are bootlegs illegal to bring back into the United States, but if you purchase them, you may also be breaking local law.
    • See the Department of State’s and the FBI’s webpages for information on scams."

Clearly the OP found your post amusing, but I wonder how helpful it was?
    Aside form it being named the rape capitol of the world since the "migrant" invasion.
    If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention!

DON`T BELIEVE IN ALL CRAP YOU READ IN NEWSPAPERS OR HEAR IN THE TV !!!!!!!!
    As you describe Sweden it is doubtful if you dare stay here. Although there are isolated problems here as well as there is in the US so personally, I have never seen any of this. I´m born here sixty years ago and frequents constantly through my job most of the mentioned cities also in so called “no go zones” and have never known me threatened.
    But everywhere in the world should perhaps not radiate wealth or behave grandiose, then you have no problems. Moreover, as a tourist you will for sure not visit those suburbs, the so called “no-go zones”, where there is nothing to see or look for as you intend.
    So my advice, go to Stockholm and have a good stay. Furthermore is it only some single dealer or shops that sell weapon or stuff you search for, and they seldom have something interesting in the area “Swedish Mausers”.
    "Einbildung ist auch ne Bildung, bei Manche Leuten sogar die einzige"

We hear a bunch of crap about the rest of the world just like they hear a bunch of crap about us. I'm afraid the news is agenda driven these days. I talk to friends and relatives in Sweden and Germany about unrest and have come to the conclusion that you can't believe the media these days on either side of the ocean.
    Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Boy - sure would be nice if my thread hadn't devolved into a pissing match.
    What are people looking for....bayonets? Diopter sights? Nothing at all?

From what I hear there ain't much left. Fson has it all locked up in an underground vault.
    Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinna, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
    Boy - sure would be nice if my thread hadn't devolved into a pissing match.
    What are people looking for....bayonets? Diopter sights? Nothing at all?
    Me, I'd love cheap diopter sights for an M/96...but those words don't go together on this side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by Fson View Post
    DON`T BELIEVE IN ALL CRAP YOU READ IN NEWSPAPERS OR HEAR IN THE TV !!!!!!!!
    As you describe Sweden it is doubtful if you dare stay here. Although there are isolated problems here as well as there is in the US so personally, I have never seen any of this. I´m born here sixty years ago and frequents constantly through my job most of the mentioned cities also in so called “no go zones” and have never known me threatened.
    But everywhere in the world should perhaps not radiate wealth or behave grandiose, then you have no problems. Moreover, as a tourist you will for sure not visit those suburbs, the so called “no-go zones”, where there is nothing to see or look for as you intend.
    So my advice, go to Stockholm and have a good stay. Furthermore is it only some single dealer or shops that sell weapon or stuff you search for, and they seldom have something interesting in the area “Swedish Mausers”.
    OK, I'll go along with this. Apparently I'm misinformed.

Tanned Blondes with green eyes are my weakness ....they slay me!

Calif, land run by liberals, and illegal immigrants

A lot of people would like a M41b mount and Ajack scope. Samco sold quite a few M41bs with no mount or scope. I for one would love to find a correct frog for my M15 naval bayonet. Unobtainable here in the US.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails frog 15.jpg  

Last edited by capnduane; 03-19-2017 at 07:35 PM.

Jeez you guys. Help the OP out. Slings, front sight hoods, any good frogs, diopter sights of any type, front sight (tunnel type) inserts, taller front sights for 96's, nice unmolested stock sets, 94 carbine stuff, Swede mauser books in Svenska, anything original to do with the equipment and gear of the Swedish soldier. If in doubt about something, Internet cafe and Gunboards!

How about a correct sling for an m41/B on the cheap.

I'm envious that you are going, hope you have a great trip.
    If it was me, I'd be looking for other WW1/2 parts like Enfield/Swiss and German.
    You can always trade them back in the USA.
    Ps. if you find a Enfiled No1 Mk1 nosecap, please let me know what you wan't for it!

Quote Originally Posted by sheepdawg View Post
    How about a correct sling for an m41/B on the cheap.
    Oooh, good thinking. I could use a correct sling for a 94/14.

You should look for beautiful blonde women.

I'm looking for a dog sled for my Kg m/37.

I'll take a cute Swedish women that can clean guns, reloads and cooks.

Wanted, woman with gun, and boat. Send photo of gun and boat...
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    Exodus Chapter 22 If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten so that he dieth, there shall be no bloodguiltiness for him.

I would expect as Fson says... that there are very few places there that carry old surplus accoutrements. I would venture to say that the average Swede these days probably wouldn't recognize an m/96, much less identify one as the dominant rifle of their homeland for half of the 20th century. Maybe a few with military service or shooting experience would know about Swedish Mausers, but I'm guessing 9 out of 10 men on the street would not. I could be wrong...

I found the same in Switzerland, although I was fortunate to visit the Festungsmuseum Reuenthal, which happened to have a small store attached. It was like thumbing through a catalog from Cheaper Than Dirt or Sportsman's Guide in the 90s... all kinds of Swedish militaria. Interestingly, the various surplus helmets were somewhat expensive compared to what you can find in the US. But the bayonets were very reasonably priced, and I bought several, which remain in my collection.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

[SA] Marked m/96 bayonet!!

Last time I was in the surplus store in Old Placerville California it was full of Swedish tourists marveling over the piles of Swedish Mil surplus stuff. Overcoats, Hats and even leather bandoleers (which i grabbed). i asked one of the tourists what language they were speaking and wound up in an interesting swedish/english german chat. They said they had not seen much old surplus in many years and bought everything marked with 3 crowns plus some US and israeli items.

Vintovka, that is interesting... I can only surmise that many of them wish that the Swedish government hadn't been so eager (and efficient) in cleaning out the old stockpiles of rifles, parts and accessories.

I suspect the Finns feel the same way.
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Back to the original topic. Stockholm is one of the best cities (and prettiest) in the world and there is so much to enjoy in a short time. Here are a few quick suggestions:
    1. Be sure and have a "chipped" credit card. Old style don´t work most places.
    2. Get a "Busskord" for travel in the metro area. Good for urban rail, subway, and buses. Huge convenience.
    3. Download Apps. First is Res i Sthlm SL Journey Planner. Great. Where are you and where do you want to go. Detailed subway, bus instructions in ENGLISH. A Huge convenience. Bus stops also have digital display screens of buses arriving. Also get an interactive Stockholm city map. Great for navigating.
    4. There might not be gun or surplus stores worth going to but . . . DO go the the Armé Museum! Its at Riddargatan 13. Use the Östermalmstorg subway station to get there.
    5. Nearby at Riddargatan 4 is the Sturekatten Konditori for an open face shrimp sandwich and a slice of princess cake. Coffee is great.
    6. For a neat food experience try going to Hötorgshallen at the Hötorget subway stop. Big open square food market and even more inside. One of the best, sadly, is currently closed for renovation which is the Saluhallen. Next time.
    7. The Scansen open air living museum is one of the best. Great walking experience.
    8. Do walk Gamla Stan. Old Town is a bit touristy but for very good reason. Remember, Stockholm is one of the few cities that have not been bombed during war so nice old architecture is in abundance.
    9. Public transportation is super. No need for a car in the metro area. More of a problem than a convenience.
    10. Remember to adjust your phone and turn off data roaming for international travel unless you want a shocking bill.
    Any of this help?

Quote Originally Posted by Hejsan View Post
    Back to the original topic. Stockholm is one of the best cities (and prettiest) in the world and there is so much to enjoy in a short time. Here are a few quick suggestions:
    1. Be sure and have a "chipped" credit card. Old style don´t work most places.
    2. Get a "Busskord" for travel in the metro area. Good for urban rail, subway, and buses. Huge convenience.
    3. Download Apps. First is Res i Sthlm SL Journey Planner. Great. Where are you and where do you want to go. Detailed subway, bus instructions in ENGLISH. A Huge convenience. Bus stops also have digital display screens of buses arriving. Also get an interactive Stockholm city map. Great for navigating.
    4. There might not be gun or surplus stores worth going to but . . . DO go the the Armé Museum! Its at Riddargatan 13. Use the Östermalmstorg subway station to get there.
    5. Nearby at Riddargatan 4 is the Sturekatten Konditori for an open face shrimp sandwich and a slice of princess cake. Coffee is great.
    6. For a neat food experience try going to Hötorgshallen at the Hötorget subway stop. Big open square food market and even more inside. One of the best, sadly, is currently closed for renovation which is the Saluhallen. Next time.
    7. The Scansen open air living museum is one of the best. Great walking experience.
    8. Do walk Gamla Stan. Old Town is a bit touristy but for very good reason. Remember, Stockholm is one of the few cities that have not been bombed during war so nice old architecture is in abundance.
    9. Public transportation is super. No need for a car in the metro area. More of a problem than a convenience.
    10. Remember to adjust your phone and turn off data roaming for international travel unless you want a shocking bill.
    Any of this help?
    Huge help, thank you!

I forgot to ask if you will have close adult supervision (wife, significant other)? Insofar as "no go" neighborhoods, there may be a few but these are in areas you are very unlikely to go. Generally, blend in with the locals which is pretty easy to do. Leave your Trump Make American Great hat at home. Usually a baseball hat of any kind is a dead giveaway as an American. Did I mention the Nordic Princesses? Yes, they are there.

No wife or supervision....I am going for a bachelor party.....

I am married though, as well as every guy there except the groom. We found round trip flights direct from Oakland, CA to Stockholm for $352/apiece.

Would love to show off my Swedes to a Swede........

A warning. Swedes are normally reserved unless they are at a party. Events like this usually feature the Swedish equivalent of Boilermakers with a lot of beer and aquavit. There will be frequent toasting with the aquavit so pace yourself! A Swedish custom to be observed is to make eye contact with someone as you toast . . . toast... then make eye contact with the same person. Swedes also like drinking songs. Don´t worry this. After a bit of aquavit you will find yourself fluent in Swedish and singing along quite nicely.

What area of Stockholm will you be staying?

Quote Originally Posted by Hejsan View Post
    What area of Stockholm will you be staying?
    Don't know yet. In the process of figuring that out.

I'd be sure to check out the 17th-century 68-gun Wasa warship... But I love maritime history.

Have a great trip!
    In July I'll get to go (very briefly) to Vaesterbotten, but no Stockholm this time... Unfortunately!
    Alle Kunst ist umsonst, Wenn ein Engel in das Zündloch prunst.

Quote Originally Posted by daveccarlson View Post
    I'd be sure to check out the 17th-century 68-gun Wasa warship... But I love maritime history.

Have a great trip!
    In July I'll get to go (very briefly) to Vaesterbotten, but no Stockholm this time... Unfortunately!
    Already at the top of my list. Big maritime history guy myself.

Afterthoughts...
    1. Maritime History? In addition to the Vasa, the National Maritime Museum is also in Stockholm. Add it to your dance card.
    2. Re: Credit Cards. Be sure and contact your credit card company and let them know that you will be in Sweden and the travel dates. Otherwise you might get some purchases declined.
    3. Arriving at Stockholm Arlanda (ARN) is pretty much an easy do and user friendly. You have five options for getting into the city:
    a. Have a friend pick you up
    b. Take a taxi. Use only major taxi companies and check for a flat fare to the area you want to go. The reputable companies all have a flat fare chart. Taxi into the city will be about 50+ USD. Ouch.
    c. Take the airport bus. These will take you to downtown Stockholm and the central train station (T-Centralen). From there you can navigate on your own to the final destination.
    d. Take the Arlanda Express. A no kidding super fast go like hell urban rail train into the city ending up at T-Centralen
    e. Take the urban rail (Pendeltåg) from the domestic terminal which is an easy indoor walk from the international terminal. It has an information counter where you can buy your busskort. This is like a credit card and you can put as much money on it as you like. 300 SEK is a good start if you´re going to use public transportation. This will take you into the city and connections to your final destination.
    4. Hotels? I know nothing about them. I have always stayed with family when I´m in Stockholm. Perhaps your hosts can tell you a convenient area to stay in and make recommendations. If not, AAA is a good source for info. I would not opt for anything near T-Centralen. With public transportation you can easily stay in a Suburb and still be convenient to the city. Do try and get near a public transportation so you don´t have to rely on taxis.
    5. I will be in Stockholm myself in two weeks or so for the semi-annual Militaria Show on the 8th of April. Its in Solna which is a northern suburb of Stockholm. This might just be my 20th or so trip.
    Last edited by Hejsan; 03-23-2017 at 10:34 AM.

of course you look for a jarmann rifle and his bayonet and don't forget the typical hook type sling swivel
    lots of luck
    geeting from flanders
    jarmann

Hi Jarmann,
    This sounds like a misunderstanding, you probably mistake me for someone else! I do NOT deal with rifles.
    Also, please edit the post and remove my (old) phone number.

/per

hi per
    sorry I disturbed you with my error ,I now I ones sended a dutchmen to sweden who would purchase a jarmann rifle ,he came back with one ,and sended me pictures from 5 or 6 pieces taken at the collectors home ,so I must have mistaken you with a other countrymen
    mea culpa, maxima culpa
    sorry
    greetings from jarmann

No problem !

Greetings from Sweden
    /per

Default The best information ever!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bainter1212 View Post
    Hey all,
    I am going to Stockholm for a few days next week, and would love to visit a gunshop or a military surplus store while I'm there.
    Should I look for any parts or equipment that may be hard to find here? I can always mail it to myself.

Thanks in advance.
    Dont pay any attention to previously given proposals. Just listen to this one.
    Very central in Stockholm you will find a gun-shop called "Walter Borg". 5 minutes walk from Central Station and 2 minutes from main streets in very central Stockholm. A very nice gun shop and if lucky you can actually meet the Swedish Royalites shopping in the store. But.........7th of May will this shop hold a major auction on guns. Among the items are Jarmann rifle m/1882, Sniper m/41, Krevadkarbin, Skolgevär m/1867-89 (m/1893), Weaponofficers carbine m/94-14, all different RB both rifles and carbines, carbine m/1894 for sabre-bayonet, m/1938s, strange try-out rifles from 1860s and so on. Many of this rifles will be possible for you to handle in the store during next week! Much better than the nowadays boring Armémuseum that is avoided by Swedish advanced collectors today.
    I am sure that "Hejsan" can also give you advices how to import a gun to USA if you wanna take part in the auction! You can already today find small pics on the rifles at internetsite www.walterborg.se . Try to click on auktion, objekt, kategori, gevär and you will be amazed!
    So, spend time and handle the auction guns at Walter Borg and maybe take part in the auction. A mystery that you havent got this information until now .
    If going to museums take in first case "Wasamuseet" and second "Livrustkammaren" in the Stockholms Slott. In the shop you can buy (now for a bargain) very, very nice books (3 of them) called "Firearms I", "Firearms II" and "Firearms III" by Nils Drejholt written in English with a lot of pics showing firearms from all epocs that belongs to the Livrustkammarens museum. You can thank me later when you have returned to US.

BTW. Dont bother about ridiculous fairy-tales about no go-zones in Sweden. They dont exist! I have for 30 years worked in the socioeconomically problematic areas in Stockholm and rest of Sweden in close contact with the inhabitans in those areas, Myself lived in one of those areas for 10 years, frequentely visited this areas (with my children as late as last week) because I have relatives and close friends living there. I am going to Stockholm next week to hold a lecture for a bunch of medical doctors and myself going to Walter Borg in spare time, hopefully around lunch-time next thursday. Unfortunately dont have enough time, otherwise I could have taken you to the areas that people without knowledge are afraid of. Maybe another time!
    I am certain you will enjoy your vist in Stockholm, Sweden!!
    Arms are for hugging

Quote Originally Posted by arilar View Post
    Dont pay any attention to previously given proposals. Just listen to this one.
    Very central in Stockholm you will find a gun-shop called "Walter Borg". 5 minutes walk from Central Station and 2 minutes from main streets in very central Stockholm. A very nice gun shop and if lucky you can actually meet the Swedish Royalites shopping in the store. But.........7th of May will this shop hold a major auction on guns. Among the items are Jarmann rifle m/1882, Sniper m/41, Krevadkarbin, Skolgevär m/1867-89 (m/1893), Weaponofficers carbine m/94-14, all different RB both rifles and carbines, carbine m/1894 for sabre-bayonet, m/1938s, strange try-out rifles from 1860s and so on. Many of this rifles will be possible for you to handle in the store during next week! Much better than the nowadays boring Armémuseum that is avoided by Swedish advanced collectors today.
    I am sure that "Hejsan" can also give you advices how to import a gun to USA if you wanna take part in the auction! You can already today find small pics on the rifles at internetsite www.walterborg.se . Try to click on auktion, objekt, kategori, gevär and you will be amazed!
    So, spend time and handle the auction guns at Walter Borg and maybe take part in the auction. A mystery that you havent got this information until now .
    If going to museums take in first case "Wasamuseet" and second "Livrustkammaren" in the Stockholms Slott. In the shop you can buy (now for a bargain) very, very nice books (3 of them) called "Firearms I", "Firearms II" and "Firearms III" by Nils Drejholt written in English with a lot of pics showing firearms from all epocs that belongs to the Livrustkammarens museum. You can thank me later when you have returned to US.

BTW. Dont bother about ridiculous fairy-tales about no go-zones in Sweden. They dont exist! I have for 30 years worked in the socioeconomically problematic areas in Stockholm and rest of Sweden in close contact with the inhabitans in those areas, Myself lived in one of those areas for 10 years, frequentely visited this areas (with my children as late as last week) because I have relatives and close friends living there. I am going to Stockholm next week to hold a lecture for a bunch of medical doctors and myself going to Walter Borg in spare time, hopefully around lunch-time next thursday. Unfortunately dont have enough time, otherwise I could have taken you to the areas that people without knowledge are afraid of. Maybe another time!
    I am certain you will enjoy your vist in Stockholm, Sweden!!
    Awesome - thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast