Going to Sweden - what should I look for? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Going to Sweden - what should I look for?

Well Bainter1212........... How did you like Stockholm? Myself visited Walter Borg last thursday at lunchtime.......
    Arms are for hugging

Quote Originally Posted by arilar View Post
    Well Bainter1212........... How did you like Stockholm? Myself visited Walter Borg last thursday at lunchtime.......
    Won't be going until the end of the month.
    I just noticed that I had put "next week" in my OP, that was an error. It was supposed to be next month. Sorry....will have to wait some more for the outcome

Are you there on the 30th of April/1st of May?

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Bainter1212, I'm pretty sure you could use a chaperone. I'll start looking for flights...
    Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Hejsan View Post
    Are you there on the 30th of April/1st of May?
    Leaving today, coming back on the 3rd. Looking forward to it!

Great! I was hoping that these would be your travel days. You'll get to participate in two Swedish holidays! The first is on the evening of the 30th which will be Valborg. You'll see students in white hats celebrating graduation and at night there will be many bonfires and fireworks. Its a great excuse for a Swedish party with crayfish, shrimp, beer and akavit. If that isn't enough, the 30th is also the Kings birthday. That will require a couple of toast to be sure. He and the royal family usually make a special appearance at the palace if you'd like to stop by. The 1st of May is a National Holiday. The Swedes sort of look at it as the first day of Spring and are inclined to do strange things like jump into the lake, etc. There are also parades and most of the country is shut down. This is also a reason for a day long party. So, my advice is to pace yourself carefully, enjoy the crayfish but don't try to keep up with festive Swedes or you may find your self also in the lake. Enjoy... it will be a great time. I will look forward to a full report.

1th of May= Labor Day. Celebration day for workers. Loooong Swedish tradition.
    Arms are for hugging

So I got back to the U.S. last night.

Had a great time. We stayed within walking distance to the Gamlastan and were able to explore most of downtown, I must have walked 30 miles in 3 days.
    As mentioned, Valborg and the 1st of May were going on, which made it fun. Went to a bonfire on the water. Went to see some museums.....the Vasa which is amazing, my favorite though was the Armory at the royal palace. Lots of ornate weapons and armor on display.
    Also.....the guards at the Palace were all weilding model 94/14 carbines with fixed bayonets. I asked one of the guards if they ever get to shoot their carbines, and he nodded yes. All of the guards looked bored and this one looked annoyed that I spoke to him.

Stockholm is a gorgeous city, but the best part is that it is filled with beautiful blond women. Not that I could do anything but look.....I am married after all.

Was contacted by member HenryB who offered to meet up with me, but our plans didn't allow for such, regrettably.

We stayed a few blocks from Walter Borg, so I paid a visit. Lots of beautiful sporting rifles and a few C&Rs. There was a nice antique rolling block I felt like buying, but the gentleman working there didn't know enough about the export laws or selling to a non-citizen, so I declined.

Even though the beer was riotously expensive, we splurged and had a great time. Would visit Sweden again any time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12