Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- lots of levers

Thread: Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- lots of levers

Default Maryland Arms Collector Show report -- lots of levers

Wandered around this show with a fellow Gunboards member who had been looking for parts to restore an 1894, he got a tang sight and a lot of enlightenment

* As usual, there were A LOT of 1894s, as well as 1892s and 1873s, and the best way to describe the prices would be "stratospheric" with nearly all of them clocking in over four figures regardless of condition. Even most of the pump-action and autoloading rimfires had big price tags

* As for Winchester 1895s, reegardless of caliber or condition, you couldn't touch them for under $1,500; no Russian muskets this year

* Marlins were a mixed bag, the earlier ones, particularly anything that began 189* was also asking four digits. However, I saw a few 1894s that were obviously postwar manufacture clocking in at around the $500-600 range.

* The surprise of the show? Prices on Savage 99s have *dropped* in price, and more .30-30s have come out of the woodwork. Most were the more desirable "pre-mil" models in good condition, with prices down around the $750 range. There were still a handful of high-end 99s asking four figures, but they were now the exception rather than the rule.

As always, its a fun show to walk through

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

I hope this is what I will find at gunshows in my area this year because the Savage 99 is on my list.

Thanks for your observations.

Here is how I explain this show to people: Its like a world-class arms museum threw up.

You are gonna see a lot of very rare and expensive stuff that normally doesn't get seen outside a museum. Also, there is an ebb and flow to the selection; one year could have a lot of Krags and next year only a handful. This seemed to be the year of M1903 Springfields.

If you have a decent budget and a way to get to Baltimore, it might be worth the trip.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Not unusual. Often we can expect to pay double or triple for these items at Gun Shows. Often have better luck at LGS.

Quote Originally Posted by mauser9 View Post
    Not unusual. Often we can expect to pay double or triple for these items at Gun Shows. Often have better luck at LGS.
    This particular show has a reputation for the rare/unusual stuff and lives up to it, and some people try to latch onto that. After seeing Winchester 1894s commanding $1,500+ a Marlin 1894 for $600 seems like a bargain.

If someone is looking for a Savage 99, the folks over at 24hourcampfire have a really good Savage forum

Thanks for the interesting update! It's been more than a few years since I've even been to a show here on the Left Coast! Too often nowadays, more inclusive of the stuffed Chinese collectible panda bears and genuine Native American antique carbon fiber whistles.
    Here in San Diego, by the time the parking and entrance fee paid, the better part of thirty dollars and that a few years ago! Just the number of guns at these shows ever shrinking and then too, much of that just new stuff. All in all... No thanks!
    Conversely, some local shops yet with reputation for more of the collectible stuff, but anymore too much flawed junk requiring astute inspection. Caveat emptor! Critical viewing required!
    Last pruchase, from a local old time shop. A Winchester 71, long tang, second year of production. Nothing fancy, just honest and at about mid nineties in condition. Had it up here on the Win Forum.

If I sound a jaded 'OF'; a good assessment. Too many memories of the 'old days'. I do believe a lot of those stratospheric priced guns go unsold. Then too of course, there is 'One born every minute!' Easy to see such result on some of the Internet gun seller Websites!
    Ah well...
    Just an 'OF' take
    Last edited by iskra; 03-23-2017 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Editing prior unedited post!

I also point out that this show attracts sellers from Europe (three from Switzerland) as well as various buyers. I hear British accents from both sides of the table.

Are you talking about the " Baltimore Antique Arms show" held on March 18-19? That was a great show if you like older pieces. I saw many wonderful things I've never seen before. Brought home several items.

Revolutionary war howitzer . Need a lot of work to restore.

free picture upload
    Last edited by timkel; 03-23-2017 at 05:41 PM.