Ski Trooper M28

Thread: Ski Trooper M28

Default Ski Trooper M28

Been looking for one of these for a long time - Just about always when one popped up on the trader or on the auctions....I was outbid....or was broke and could not afford one. A long time member here had this one for sale on auction....I saw it....the rifle had unique features that made the piece more appealing....features that are uncommon and hard to find nowadays.....I placed my bid and looked away.....

I won the auction & due to the sellers good pics & description, I knew the piece had issues....missing toe.....cracked handguard.....missing a hard to find screw......I asked myself how many of these have I seen in person these past several years.....Zero, Zip....Nada.....

Real glad I bought it, love the patina on the Black Walnut stock, will try to save the handguard if I can, if not, I have a couple spare NOS handguards waiting if need be.

Perhaps a member has a donor Bubba'd Black Walnut stock we can dicker over..... Perhaps a member has a spare rear handguard screw we can make a deal on....if not.....I have a Tig welder and a tap and die set for small screws....can make my own screw if I have to...

Enjoy the pictures!

Pahtu.

Missing the screw for the rear handguard band....anybody got one for sale....?

Look next to the screw....a smiley face!

Real cool, uncommon Finned rear adjustable rear sight - Very uncommon!

This rare version of the m/28 rear sight utilized a sliding plate between inner and outer plates. By adjusting the side screws the innner plate as seen above could be moved either left or right slightly to adjust for poinht of impact or windage.Courtesy of www.mosinnagant.net]

Missing the "Toe" of the rifle - Will need a Bubba'd Black Walnut project stock to rob a splice off of....got a Remington Black Walnut trainer stock....but really hate to cut it up for just a splice... Anybody got a bubba'd Remington or N.E.W. black walnut stock for sale....trade...

Got some project stocks I can rob a splice off of, but they are not Black Walnut & I think the splice would look funny...

Read & learn more here.....

http://www.mosinnagant.net/finland/M28-Rifle.asp
    Last edited by Pahtu; 03-19-2017 at 04:31 PM.

That is super cool, I've always wanted one too. Like you, for one reason or another, I've never been able to acquire one.

Very cool rifle, a very worthy project. The M28 ski troopers have always intrigued me. I love the way they look. I'm sure you'll get it back to its former glory in fairly short order. As always, I love your photography too. You do a great job of displaying your rifles.

I also have a M28 in need of some TLC. Although it has a high serial number, at some point in its life it ended up in a ski trooper stock. The stock has cracks that radiate from the rear of the trigger guard area, going towards the lower sling slot on either side. There is also a crack on the left side from the crossbolt, going towards the rear. A piece of wood is missing from the left side too, perhaps 1/4" x 2", going from the crossbolt rearward. I'm not sure if the rifle was fired without the actions screws being tightened, or what happened. The stock looks fine if it were hung up on a wall, but it isn't safe to use for shooting.

I'd be tempted to deal the stock (or entire rifle) to you Pahtu, but I don't believe my stock is walnut like yours. The rifle is in fine shape, but I'll need to find a suitable "standard" M28 stock...as well as a forward nose cap screw. I included the photos (from auction) to show the wood grain, since I'm not very proficient at identifying one type of wood from another.

"When Stalin says dance, a wise man dances."
    N. Khrushchev in Khrushchev Remembers

I am looking for a pre-war or war-time M38 stock

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

When you think of how few of these stocks were actually made, it's amazing we see as many as we do. They are usually pretty beat up as one would expect. As for the splice....once I had to match up a muzzleloader stock that was real dark. If you melt up some chunks of that solid meltable roofing tar, and mix with diesel, you can darken standard walnut stain (oil based) and mix to match. I would imaging you could use any old machine screw and blue it up some, nobody would call you on it, ('cept us here at the 'Boards. Yes that sight is trey cool.

Great find!

The handguard can be repaired with waterproof marine epoxy carefully clamped or tied tight around a greased wood dowel to hold shape while it sets. You can put a fiberglass drywall tape backing on the inside if things seem weak after that. Cover any scratches or repairs with Tom's Pine Tar as needed. Fill gaps with fine sawdust filler mixed with epoxy, then sand and apply Tom's.

Wish I had an extra stock for you but my spare ski trooper sock went to another member a few weeks back. I will look to see if I have a chopped black walnut stock around.

It is funny how orphaned ski troopers have been turning up recently.

That's really awesome. Especially the rear sight. Here's a question. Since the first 6k were ski troopers and yours is in the 8k is it still considered a ski trooper. I almost bought one yesterday that was in a ski trooper stock and had a 6500 serial. It was rough and mismatched so I passed. Also wasn't sure if ones that had ski trooper stocks put on them still bring that premium.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Nice rifle and nice pictures. That rear sight is very interesting. Seems like a fair amount of complexity for a relatively small amount of adjustment, but it's probably more than they ever needed after the initial sighting in with front sight adjustment.

Cool project Gary and I look forward to following the restoration. love that rear sight. Denny

I am in the same boat as you, did you get yours from the same guy on Gunbrokers.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...per-quot-stock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0210172140.jpg   0210172138a.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by ExecChef View Post
    That is super cool, I've always wanted one too. Like you, for one reason or another, I've never been able to acquire one.
    Thanks!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by learjet60 View Post
    Very cool rifle, a very worthy project. The M28 ski troopers have always intrigued me. I love the way they look. I'm sure you'll get it back to its former glory in fairly short order. As always, I love your photography too. You do a great job of displaying your rifles.

I also have a M28 in need of some TLC. Although it has a high serial number, at some point in its life it ended up in a ski trooper stock. The stock has cracks that radiate from the rear of the trigger guard area, going towards the lower sling slot on either side. There is also a crack on the left side from the crossbolt, going towards the rear. A piece of wood is missing from the left side too, perhaps 1/4" x 2", going from the crossbolt rearward. I'm not sure if the rifle was fired without the actions screws being tightened, or what happened. The stock looks fine if it were hung up on a wall, but it isn't safe to use for shooting.

I'd be tempted to deal the stock (or entire rifle) to you Pahtu, but I don't believe my stock is walnut like yours. The rifle is in fine shape, but I'll need to find a suitable "standard" M28 stock...as well as a forward nose cap screw. I included the photos (from auction) to show the wood grain, since I'm not very proficient at identifying one type of wood from another.

From what I can see, the rifle stock looks like Birch. I appreciate the offer!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by patchnball View Post
    When you think of how few of these stocks were actually made, it's amazing we see as many as we do. They are usually pretty beat up as one would expect. As for the splice....once I had to match up a muzzleloader stock that was real dark. If you melt up some chunks of that solid meltable roofing tar, and mix with diesel, you can darken standard walnut stain (oil based) and mix to match. I would imaging you could use any old machine screw and blue it up some, nobody would call you on it, ('cept us here at the 'Boards. Yes that sight is trey cool.
    Thank you sir! I am pretty good at blending a stock finish to the original finish.....and with Walnut....it will be easier.

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Stalin's Ghost View Post
    Great find!

The handguard can be repaired with waterproof marine epoxy carefully clamped or tied tight around a greased wood dowel to hold shape while it sets. You can put a fiberglass drywall tape backing on the inside if things seem weak after that. Cover any scratches or repairs with Tom's Pine Tar as needed. Fill gaps with fine sawdust filler mixed with epoxy, then sand and apply Tom's.

Wish I had an extra stock for you but my spare ski trooper sock went to another member a few weeks back. I will look to see if I have a chopped black walnut stock around.

It is funny how orphaned ski troopers have been turning up recently.
    Thanks, will take the handguard fixin advice - I do have some epoxy on hand!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasily Zaytsev View Post
    That's really awesome. Especially the rear sight. Here's a question. Since the first 6k were ski troopers and yours is in the 8k is it still considered a ski trooper. I almost bought one yesterday that was in a ski trooper stock and had a 6500 serial. It was rough and mismatched so I passed. Also wasn't sure if ones that had ski trooper stocks put on them still bring that premium.

Boy ya got me....I am just happy to own one, it would be good if it were under the 6K production, but all is still good for me! Notice it has a M27 sheetmetal cap on the bayo lug...?

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphorus32 View Post
    Nice rifle and nice pictures. That rear sight is very interesting. Seems like a fair amount of complexity for a relatively small amount of adjustment, but it's probably more than they ever needed after the initial sighting in with front sight adjustment.
    Thanks! I always wanted one of these with an adj rear sight, thought them to be neat! These must have inspired the 28-30s to have adj front sights?

Pahtu.
    Last edited by Pahtu; 03-19-2017 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Boy ya got me....I am just happy to own one, it would be good if it were under the 6K production, but all is still good for me! Notice it has a M27 sheetmetal cap on the bayo lug...?

Pahtu.
    Yeah I'd be happy too. I wish I got that one the price just wasn't right. I'm not sure what you mean about the sheet metal plug.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    Cool project Gary and I look forward to following the restoration. love that rear sight. Denny
    Thanks Denny, will post the finished product this Fall.....Mountain pics!

Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by metalman3006 View Post
    I am in the same boat as you, did you get yours from the same guy on Gunbrokers.

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...per-quot-stock
    Yup, a member here cleaning out his project guns.....

Pahtu.

Pahtu - even with the break it is a great gun - much better than a pretty refurbed m28. I like the 28/30 front band with the original S marked and oXXX marked bolt. Neat adjustable rear. No doubt the damage happened in the importing process. You'll find a bubba stock sometime. Hold out for the right part. What a beautiful gun and great pictures as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky236 View Post
    Pahtu - even with the break it is a great gun - much better than a pretty refurbed m28. I like the 28/30 front band with the original S marked and oXXX marked bolt. Neat adjustable rear. No doubt the damage happened in the importing process. You'll find a bubba stock sometime. Hold out for the right part. What a beautiful gun and great pictures as usual.
    Thanks Sparky, will do.

Pahtu.

Lovely rifle Pahtu!

Not even Seen that back sight before. Thanks for all the good photos as well.

I don't think it'll be black walnut, most likely European.
    Fiebing's leather dye is also wonderful for matching woods, as it'll even soak in to oily wood. Comes in a good few shades of brown and black so can match more or less anything.
    I use dark brown and a bit of black mostly..

Congrats again!
    Wish one would turn up in Canada!

i had one with a split stock in the wrist area, and when i found this one in better condition i sold it to another collector. this one is in very good condition with a ex bore and no splits or cracks, but plenty of bunps and scrapes. i have never shot it. eastbank.Attachment 2061914Attachment 2061922Attachment 2061930Attachment 2061938Attachment 2061946

Yes! That's what the m/28 bolt should look like!

Maybe Sako could work the stock? I've read they use Best Available Technology.

Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Thanks Sparky, will do.

Pahtu.
    If you lived farther east, you could find a chunk of walnut to make a repair with. Heck, even firewood will work. You can do it with hand tools. No biggie. I wouldn't waste another stock to fix this one.......even a sporterized one.

I almost bid on an m28 on GB earlier this month with a walnut butt spliced to a birch forend by the Finns. It was so unique that it looked great.

I would not shy away from a birch splice, the Finns didn't.

If you don't find a screw, pm me the dimensions and I'll make one next week on the lathe for you. I don't have one here to copy, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook View Post
    Lovely rifle Pahtu!

Not even Seen that back sight before. Thanks for all the good photos as well.

I don't think it'll be black walnut, most likely European.
    Fiebing's leather dye is also wonderful for matching woods, as it'll even soak in to oily wood. Comes in a good few shades of brown and black so can match more or less anything.
    I use dark brown and a bit of black mostly..

Congrats again!
    Wish one would turn up in Canada!
    Thanks for the advice! Lots o American Mosins ended up in Finland - Those Mosins were stocked in Black Walnut - Stock could be French, there is a remnant of a stamp alongside the stock....but it is unreadable.

Quote Originally Posted by CH View Post
    Yes! That's what the m/28 bolt should look like!

Maybe Sako could work the stock? I've read they use Best Available Technology.
    I'll give them a call.... Got a time machine....??

Quote Originally Posted by ole fred View Post
    If you lived farther east, you could find a chunk of walnut to make a repair with. Heck, even firewood will work. You can do it with hand tools. No biggie. I wouldn't waste another stock to fix this one.......even a sporterized one.
    My great great grandpa planted Black Walnut trees on his farm, now my farm.....way back in the 1890's.....My great granddad, grandma, mom....and I have all played around the trees when we were kids. I have a chunk of that wood from one of those trees.....never thought about making my own piece to fit.....just thought it would be easier and quicker to use a table saw. Hmmm points to ponder.....

Unknown fact.....lots of Black Walnut trees in Eastern WA! I planted a seedling from the previous tree on my place 20 years ago. The walnuts are tasty in choc chip cookies....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    I almost bid on an m28 on GB earlier this month with a walnut butt spliced to a birch forend by the Finns. It was so unique that it looked great.

I would not shy away from a birch splice, the Finns didn't.

If you don't find a screw, pm me the dimensions and I'll make one next week on the lathe for you. I don't have one here to copy, unfortunately.
    Thank you for the offer....I do have a screw that can be copied.....

The two tone splices of Finn rifles, esp Birch and Walnut is striking....and beautiful....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by eastbank View Post
    i had one with a split stock in the wrist area, and when i found this one in better condition i sold it to another collector. this one is in very good condition with a ex bore and no splits or cracks, but plenty of bunps and scrapes. i have never shot it. eastbank.Attachment 2061914Attachment 2061922Attachment 2061930Attachment 2061938Attachment 2061946
    Can't see the pics....

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasily Zaytsev View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean about the sheet metal plug.

M27's with the older bayo lug had a removable sheet metal piece & I thought this rifle had one placed in the bayo lug area as well.

Pahtu.

If you make a repair, see if you can route a dovetail slot into the existing butt and make a tongue on the new piece. That is how the Finns would likely have repaired it .

Pahtu, that is a beautiful rifle, even with the damage, well worth fixing her up. I love that adjustable rear sight, but I wonder if they were installed when it was built, or later?
    Look at what I have, and it has normal m28 sights.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M28 8976-14.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	2064562
    Remember-Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Did you get the matching buttplate with the rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    Pahtu, that is a beautiful rifle, even with the damage, well worth fixing her up. I love that adjustable rear sight, but I wonder if they were installed when it was built, or later?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M28 8976-14.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	223.0 KB 
ID:	2064562
    Brothers in arms...very cool!

Wrench, I'm curious...what type of stock is yours in?

Thank you!

Hey! We have consecutive numbered M28's!

I dunno if a regular M28 sight was on this rifle and they replaced it with the adj rear sight.....very cool & thanks for posting! I have another Sig M28 and will check the number on it!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Claven2 View Post
    Did you get the matching buttplate with the rifle?
    No buttplate

Pahtu.

Yeah, it's cool to find a consecutive pair like that...makes me wonder where they have been since they've been apart.
    Mine is also in a ski trooper stock.
    Remember-Gun control is not about guns, it's about control.

Mine is also in a ski trooper stock.
    Cool! I was hoping that was the case, even if it doesn't prove or disprove anything.

Wow, great rifle and great pics. I would trade my "minty" M-28 (without a ski trooper stock) for that one any day of the week. Even the cleaning rod has that "been there done that" look.

Thank you!

I was very pleasantly surprised when the rifle was delivered, it has the right look and feel - I will be moving soon to another house on this property(my old house....been empty for three years), after the move, I can concentrate on a couple projects.

Pahtu.