AR15 platform - is $399 the bottom?

Thread: AR15 platform - is $399 the bottom?

Default AR15 platform - is $399 the bottom?

Went to another bee class in Blount County Saturday, took a circuitous route home and stopped at one of the establishments along my old gun & pawn route I used to run during my more aggressive collecting days. Owner was there, semi-retired, place had not changed much, sleeping dogs were replaced by a sleeping old codger, and inventory had shrunken to a sad level. Owner didn't care, was trying to remove the semi from semi-retired so he could fish more than the 4 days a week he presently partook of that endeavor.

Not much of interest there, and what do you do in a gun shop other than talk guns? Reader's Digest version, he maintained some of the AR players were stuck with significant inventory having bet on Hillary to be elected. Nothing new there. At least one industry giant was really in the tank he claimed, and had decided that making 60 cents on the dollar return was better than nothing. He stated he had been told by an industry insider that the $399 ARs we are beginning to see is not the bottom of the market. When he queried $299, he was met with a "doubtful, but perhaps" type response. His interpretation was that we might see another $50 or so drop to $350 or even a bit lower before the bottom.

I think I may wait a bit longer before stacking a few back.

SlimTim
    Budweiser's Real Man of Genius: Mr. Gun Show Junkie

Georgians! Tennesseans! Join your neighbors in the TN/GA Shooters forum.

I think to play the waiting game is spot on at this point.

I said this Jan. And na Sayers got fuzzy hissing.
    $450 last show used competition with new $485!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I am waiting......There is a lot of ammo that has come out of the woodwork lately if you have noticed and prices are falling.

I think some of our so called "firends" in the firearms and ammo industry had a Hitlery Presidency figured into inventory.

Brass 223. Fed bullets hodges powder CCI primers loaded by vets....520 rounds $125.
    best I've encountered two shows back.
    762 by 39 $5 a box.
    45 same company $175 same way put together. 500 rounds.

I am taking the same approach. Buying the cheap x39 when I run across and keeping my eyes open for sub 400 ARs. I won't touch the AR until then. Just stick with my sks if I have to!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cool

I have 4 rifles ...and a new Anderson ar pistol to feed....Tekka varmint 223!
    Two Russian SKS
    I feel this window open is a saving grace...
    Could slam quickly, tightly.....like before with out noise?
    I've bought a lot just recently at pre Clinton prices ...
    have to take make time or get help carrying it all into the bunker.."basement"

While we are on the subject, who is selling the lowest price decent quality AR at the moment?
    "You'd know what it is if you needed one!"

Quote Originally Posted by DK PHILLIPS View Post
    I have 4 rifles ...and a new Anderson ar pistol to feed....Tekka varmint 223!
    Two Russian SKS
    I feel this window open is a saving grace...
    Could slam quickly, tightly.....like before with out noise?
    I've bought a lot just recently at pre Clinton prices ...
    have to take make time or get help carrying it all into the bunker.."basement"
    I agree. Keeping my eyes open for people shedding sks. But so far most of what I am seeing are 600-700 refurbished Russians...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let your use / mission for a AR drive the price you intend to pay and its entirely possible a factory build AR in the $400 below region will meet your needs and run effectively. Competition seems to have driven Ruger to the $499 level now and you can get a PSA rifle in the $375 region...both will give years of service. Can you wait and find cheaper...I am sure the plastic receiver AR's will return and drive costs to $299 and maybe you are good with one of them...Choice is a wonderful thing.

Before the election I decided to buy a basic M4 and chose the Anderson. That rifle cost me $450 set up with Magpul CTR stock. I thought this was just fine, and its proven to be more accurate than my Colt 6920 out to 600 yds inspite of it having a steel barrel and not a stainless steel or chrome lined barrel. I am sure its the grade of barrel that allows Anderson to produce M4 in the low $400 price window.

I am equally certain its the grade of barrel that allows any maker to offer a AR cheaper than $400. How much / how good a barrel do you need....for home defense perhaps an average barrel will do and for accuracy perhaps a better barrel should flag your attention.

Prices may go down but for sure, this is a good time to hunt for an AR if you know what mission / use you intend for it. Just going cheap may not get you the right rifle you need ... so think of that. For those on budgets, by all means buy the best rifle you can afford .

My last shot: saw some plastic trigger groups in one of the plastic lowers....may work fine but Thanks/ No Thanks. Saving 10 bucks and living with a trigger group less trustworthy is not logical. I t might serve you well if it was a 22LR upper AR and then perhaps plastic trigger group might suffice...for a plinker 22LR M4 maybe it would. Still...steel triggers and hammers are a safer bet.

Late 1970s prices could be bottom for now ...

smile Paid too much now buy components ,

Just traded for bought little cash a Anderson pistol stainless 7 inch barrel. All set up rest, msg pull handle.

my carry permit is for pistols, revolvers only no rifles shot guns.

filled a need traveling in hill Billy well oxi's armed, ghettos at night?.
    as second gun...
    may put lazzer on it?
    with prices dropping faster than the democrat attitude...I may have put too much in it...?
    I considered this with uppers falling fast too..
    when I see a heavy stainless spiral cut 20 inch barrel I will buy it.
    just in case.. And to prop up gains from cheap priced components making it balance out.

Attachment 2060986Attachment 2060994 Attachment 2061002
    So if you got in the game at high prices....your saving grace is QUALITY components at the lowest prices, and ammo. ><> Dan

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    Let your use / mission for a AR drive the price you intend to pay and its entirely possible a factory build AR in the $400 below region will meet your needs and run effectively. Competition seems to have driven Ruger to the $499 level now and you can get a PSA rifle in the $375 region...both will give years of service. Can you wait and find cheaper...I am sure the plastic receiver AR's will return and drive costs to $299 and maybe you are good with one of them...Choice is a wonderful thing.

Before the election I decided to buy a basic M4 and chose the Anderson. That rifle cost me $450 set up with Magpul CTR stock. I thought this was just fine, and its proven to be more accurate than my Colt 6920 out to 600 yds inspite of it having a steel barrel and not a stainless steel or chrome lined barrel. I am sure its the grade of barrel that allows Anderson to produce M4 in the low $400 price window.

I am equally certain its the grade of barrel that allows any maker to offer a AR cheaper than $400. How much / how good a barrel do you need....for home defense perhaps an average barrel will do and for accuracy perhaps a better barrel should flag your attention.

Prices may go down but for sure, this is a good time to hunt for an AR if you know what mission / use you intend for it. Just going cheap may not get you the right rifle you need ... so think of that. For those on budgets, by all means buy the best rifle you can afford .

My last shot: saw some plastic trigger groups in one of the plastic lowers....may work fine but Thanks/ No Thanks. Saving 10 bucks and living with a trigger group less trustworthy is not logical. I t might serve you well if it was a 22LR upper AR and then perhaps plastic trigger group might suffice...for a plinker 22LR M4 maybe it would. Still...steel triggers and hammers are a safer bet.
    re the plastic LPK,

I bought 10 US ARMS Patriot 15 lowers a couple years ago,
    kept one for myself, solely for a Chiappa 22 upper,

it would not work,
    the hammer was a bit too wide to work, and likely a bit too light,
    replaced the FCG with a palmetto or similar group and it works fine,
    nice light little 22 to plink with,

friend bought on of lowers and put a bargin basement upper, 556, and it runs fine, no issues, no drama but it is not his go to gun, just bought it to try it like I did,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by chuter View Post
    While we are on the subject, who is selling the lowest price decent quality AR at the moment?
    I think the Ruger AR556 is one of the best bargains as far as budget AR's are concerned.

Sportsman's Guide had them for $459 a few weeks ago.

Right now they are $499 shipped at Sportmans Outdoor Superstore.

S&W Sport 2 is also excellent. Same price at Gunbuyer.

Thanks, I'll check it out.
    "You'd know what it is if you needed one!"

I've been wanting to assemble an AR-10 and shoot some .308 out of something other than my CETME and HK's. I hear good things about the AR-10 platform, but so far the cumulative prices of all the components is still kind of high. You wouldn't think it should cost twice as much to build an AR-10 as a regular old AR-15. I guess dealers weren't as heavily stocked on the .308 parts before the election?

Quote Originally Posted by stg44_mg42 View Post
    I've been wanting to assemble an AR-10 and shoot some .308 out of something other than my CETME and HK's. I hear good things about the AR-10 platform, but so far the cumulative prices of all the components is still kind of high. You wouldn't think it should cost twice as much to build an AR-10 as a regular old AR-15. I guess dealers weren't as heavily stocked on the .308 parts before the election?
    and there is no common pattern (so to speak)

and AR is an AR is an AR, as far as parts go, no matter who has their name on the receiver (all are interchangeable)

not so with AR10's, there is no common standard,
    several makers may be compatible, but not all at least as far as uppers, lowers etc,
    some small parts (buffer, FCG etc) maybe , but not all
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Oh my ,regarding ArmaLite AR 10 & OTHER .308 AR pattern stuff (I found ArmaLite AR10 GEN 2 Magazines new in wrap for $14.95) SO THE BOTTOM IS NOT HERE YET !