Need info on what I believe to be some Dutch .30-06

Thread: Need info on what I believe to be some Dutch .30-06

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

Default Need info on what I believe to be some Dutch .30-06

Apologies.

I have been using the site search feature for a while today, and have come up with total bupkus so far.

I figure I am probably just not getting the right words together.

I got a pretty good deal today on a decent quantity of surplus .30-06 at a gun show and I am trying to confirm its origin and details about the case and primer.

If it helps any, I believe it is 1960 Dutch production.

The headstamp reads AI A 60

Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Ronbo6 View Post
    Apologies.

I have been using the site search feature for a while today, and have come up with total bupkus so far.

I figure I am probably just not getting the right words together.

I got a pretty good deal today on a decent quantity of surplus .30-06 at a gun show and I am trying to confirm its origin and details about the case and primer.

If it helps any, I believe it is 1960 Dutch production.

The headstamp reads AI A 60

Any help?
    Yes Dutch and decent ammo. I got one BIG (1800rd?) case from Century in the 1990s. All shot good back then (M1 Garand and Springfield). I can't remember for sure if it was Corrosive or not.
    "Saigon Tea, 60 P, you no buy you di di DI!"

You are correct. It is Dutch. The "AI" should be at the 12, 3 or 6 O'clock position, and is likely the factory code. This same factory is thought to have used much the same code (a1 or al) under German occupation in WW2. The "A" is perhaps the lot and "60" being year of production.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

The ammo can this stuff came in was marked with the typical information.

It is one of the older-style (WWII-ish) .30 caliber cans with the long latching lever and the 'corrugated' top and sides.

The yellow stencil on the can reads: '250 CAL .30' over 'AI 60 Lot 9' . The ammunition shows some signs of being de-linked, and there is FAR more than 250 rounds in the can.

For being well over 50 years old, the can looks to be in perfect condition. The off-green paint on the can (probably the standard color Danish military stuff gets panted) is still glossy, and isn't scratched up at all.

Corrosive or not doesn't really bother me. Other than with my reloads, I always assume the worst. My cleaning routine includes running about a half gallon of water directly out of the water heater through the bore.

Guess I will pull one down later today and count the holes in the bottom of the case.

At .45 cents per round with the can thrown in for free, I figure I couldn't go too wrong.

It has Berdan primers.

Quote Originally Posted by ammolab View Post
    It has Berdan primers.
    Thanks.

I suspected as much, but I am glad to get confirmation.

Nearly all the other .30-06 I have is Boxer primed and it is going to be nice to have some 'fire and forget' ammunition I can use for a change.

Made by Artillerie Inrichtingen, Zaandam. They produced .30 Caliber 1959-1964, if my memory serves me correctly, for those good 'ole Garands we loaned them. Then the NWM (Nederland Wapen Munitlefabrik N.V.) plant picked up and started producing boxer primed and non corrosive stuff. It might actually be non-corrosive but I'm not sure.

The .303 produced around the same time was non corrosive. Quality was very good for military ammo.

Almost sure the Dutch 30-06 I had tested noncorrosive.