Steyr Werndl m1867/77?

Thread: Steyr Werndl m1867/77?

Default Steyr Werndl m1867/77?

I picked this rifle up this past weekend at a local gunshow. It's a Steyr product originally made in 1869. The bore is in pristine condition and the exterior is in very good shape. It appears to be a mixmaster serial # wise though. From the look of the chamber I think it underwent the 1877 modifications. I believe the unit mark is for "k.u.k. Ungarisches Infanterieregiment „Schreiber“ Nr. 26" a Hungarian unit. Here are some pics.

Len
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

image.jpg  

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Definitely a M.67/77, the rear sight clearly shows it. It is normal for the barrel & the lock to have different dates. Most of the locks were subcontracted to other manufacturers.

Nice set with the bayonet!
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

please tolerate my ignorance here;unfamiliar with the Werndl rifle,but interested in these early Steyr mfg. what was the M.67 chambering,and then the M.77 chambering? thanks for posting the pics. an excellent example,it appears.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Here is some data on Patrone M.67 and Patrone M.77:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails M77.jpg   M67 Werndl.jpg  

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Thanks,Nick. so the 1867 cartridge was alot shorter at 41 or 42 mm. i do have several examples of the 1886 type cartridges;some might be earlier. is there any difference between the 1877 and 1886 cartridges? i recall reading posts here that sounded like people were shooting 1886 ammo in their Werndl rifles. hoping to learn,eventually,Brian.
    Last edited by Frosty; 03-20-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: correction

There is no dimensional difference between M.77 and M.86, only very minor differences in bullet and charge weights.

26 IR of KuK army located in Gyor and Ostrihom, now a near slovakian border. Bayonet is a M1870/73 for NCOc probably,anyway the knot is most real a Officer sabre knot. b.r.Andy