Stampings found on Arisaka stocks. Anymore out there?

Thread: Stampings found on Arisaka stocks. Anymore out there?

Default Stampings found on Arisaka stocks. Anymore out there?

I have an Arisaka with an American name stamped on the stock, and have seen another with an American name stamped on the stock. If you look at the G's, O's, and U's in both names they appear to be the same font. Anyone else seen this anywhere? Wondering if they picked them up and stamped their names on them to send back. Any help appreciated.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	arisakafont.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	2061082

Yep, my series 23 Kokura Type 99 has "KK" and a single "K" stamped on the stock. It also has a beautiful, fully intact mum.

My guess, based on what I've read from other forum members and in Bring Back books, is that these were done aboard ships where sailors (or soldiers going home) may have had access to number and letter stamps like that. I've seen alot of Arisaka's with names stamped on them in a very similar font. It would explain the uniformity between them.

You should post the whole rifle Nick! I like these little touches. I have a couple Arisakas now that have initials carved into them. I just picked up a Type I today what someone carved their initials on the side of the butt stock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

As mentioned these stamps were G.I. or post war done. In my opinion these take away from value.

Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton, Ca

Quote Originally Posted by Jareth View Post
    As mentioned these stamps were G.I. or post war done. In my opinion these take away from value.
    Yes, initials and other GI markings may detract from the value. But it's still part of the history of the piece.

Dean (the other one)

Quote Originally Posted by Dean View Post
    Yes, initials and other GI markings may detract from the value. But it's still part of the history of the piece.

Dean (the other one)
    ....unless bubba circa 1970 did it! In most cases you'll never know for sure

I must be in the minority, because I get excited when I find little touches like that. Makes the rifle feel a bit more personal, but I can see why it would dissuade some collectors away.

Well like much in the milsurp world its about a 50/50 consensus. I guess I like the bring back idea even if it does take away from the value. Since the fonts on the stamps match and they are both arisakas it seems likely done by returning soldiers. If it was Bubba did it the letters would probably have been a little straighter. The work looks like it was done by someone who didnt have a lot of time to do it. Thanks for the opinions gents.

I had a 99 training rifle with a name stamped on it in similar letters, but lined up much better.

I like to joke with folks as mine is the real "McCoy"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC04291a.jpg  
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson