K31 Slings

Thread: K31 Slings

Default K31 Slings

I tried attaching a 1907 style leather sling to my K31 for the 1st time and found it tough to get it attached at the rear, I had to basically remove the rear sling bar to get it on. Once replaced the rear sling loop would not move, being locked tight by the sling bar.

I'm guessing that our Swiss friend didn't use slings for anything other than carrying the rifles and used a thin sling like that found on the German K98K for that purpose.

That surprises me with the Swiss reputation for being a nation of riflemen.

Am I wrong about that? Did the use some of other kind of sling that allowed them to sling up as an aid in shooting the K31?

Thanks

The Swiss did use the sling as a shooting aid, as a hasty sling. To get it to work as a support without any deflection of the barrel, it is not as tight as you would find with a M1907 sling. The techniques is quite different from the US technique, but once learned is fairly easy and shares a lot of the position elements from shooting a lee Enfield, at least that is the closest comparison I can come up with.

The basic difference is you are using the non-firing (left hand ) to hold the rifle right around the finger groves. This hold point does not change regardless of position. The position of the elbow is now nearly under the rifle, and the prone position is quite high, a high Estonian position works well. The firing hand is pulling back and most of the support is in the triangle formed by the shoulder, cheekweld, firing hand grip and the right elbow. The weight supported by the forward hand is not very much as well, the sling is adjusted by the sling buttons to just tighten it up a wee bit, to eliminate the wobble. for all practical purposes it doe nto support the rifles weight more than say 25%?

It is different from the US method where the sling is pretty tight and used to keep the rifle in the shoulder at a constant pressure. That is controlled by the firing hand. with the higher position induced by the non-firing had being father back, the butt sits higher in your shoulder as well. it does not feel natural when you first start but practice will make it comfortable as long as you do not revert to the low US position. The one thing the Swiss allow is a sling support on the shooting coat to keep the sling from falling down the arm.

The proof of the pudding is the scores. The A10 target as a 10 ring that is 1.2 MOA, or 3.93 inches @ 300 M, compared to the US MR target which is 2 MOA. Now I have seen folks put in a 96/100 on the A10 and a 188/200 in a 20 shot sting, using the standard Swiss sling and position (and match sights). Not bad shooting GP11 out of a 8.8 pound rifle. The one thing I have found is I have to consciously relax the non firing hand prior to breaking the shot, or the size of the group opens up.

Used to be an Enfield fan...then I shot a Swiss...once you start, you never go back...well occasionally you do.

The 1907 sling, it should be one with the slots for buttons, should only fit the earlier models, not the K31 which is a different style of sling attachment.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

mine has a sheet metal clip that attaches at the rear wont work so well if you try to thread the leather through there.

Where can I acquire a proper Swiss style sling for the K31?

Thanks

Also thanks on the pointers on proper K31 firing techniques Fritz.

Rick

Nurmrich has them.

Sothern Ohio guns did too.

You can buy a brand new made one to spec on Ebay for not all that much money.

Thanks, I'll follow up on that.

Rick