Question regarding a Trapdoor issued to Co L 16th Inf. Springfield Research Service

Thread: Question regarding a Trapdoor issued to Co L 16th Inf. Springfield Research Service

Default Question regarding a Trapdoor issued to Co L 16th Inf. Springfield Research Service

I found a nice Trapdoor rifle at a gun show and came home and looked the serial number up and lo and behold, it actually popped up on the SRS on 08/31/1886. I have a few questions though. After the serial number, the model designation was 84B. What does the B mean? If I remember correctly ( I looked at four trapdoors that day ) I think this rifle had the flower after the serial number. I may be wrong though. Would that have something to do with the "B"

Anyway, it says it was issued to Company L of the 16th Infantry. I read online that they fought at San Juan Hill and over 20 engagements in the Philippines. That's all I found but it doesn't say what company did all of that. Any idea as to what Company L of the 16th infantry did during the war?

thanks,
    BARQS19
    "If it ain't something, then it's something else," Robert Sherrill

Buffington rear sight ?

Quote Originally Posted by irishsteve View Post
    Buffington rear sight ?
    I believe Steve is correct.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Well, in that serial number range, some had an A after 84, the rest were 84R for rifle. or 84C for carbine. Only a few were marked 84A or 84B
    "If it ain't something, then it's something else," Robert Sherrill

Go here:
    http://www.jouster.com/forums/forumd...rapdoor-Rifles

and ask Dick Hosmer. He's got several decades of practical Trapdoor knowledge to share.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -