I think I've gone crazy... MPi night sight repaint

Thread: I think I've gone crazy... MPi night sight repaint

Default I think I've gone crazy... MPi night sight repaint

I was digging around in my spares box and found a set of East German night sights for MPi series Kalashnikov rifles. The tritium paint on these probably died a long time ago as they no longer glow unless I hold a flashlight to them for about a minute, even then they die out. I'm interested in repainting the reticles (not sure of proper term). However, I know not where to find sight paint or what colour is correct for these sights. If I mess them up I can purchase a new set as they are mere pocket change compared to other AK parts. I intend to make this a learning experience for I have never painted sights before nor really felt compelled to.

Here's my plan of action:
    1. Either remove old paint or leave it
    2. Take a toothpick and GitD paint and fill reticles with a conservative amount but an even amount as well
    3. Install on rifle
    4. Have fun

However, I am new to this and as I said I know not where to find paint, let alone the right colour for these. I've never worked with it either so that's another thing all together. Can anyone offer input?

The original glow in the dark element was not tritium. I remember seeing what you are looking for some time back. I'd do a google search for the company that sells it.
    My idea of border control is m-60 machineguns every 100yds with interlocking fields of fire.

I have been informed that the paint is either radium or phosphorescent.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Many of us would appreciate knowing where to get them repainted... safely.
    The measure of a man is that he will take an oath, and keep it forever. My goal, entirely.
    Exodus Chapter 22 If a thief be found breaking in, and be smitten so that he dieth, there shall be no bloodguiltiness for him.

There is a lot of non radiant/tritium type glowing paint for sights.

Kind of wordy but a video.>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0KU2_cAwZA

The product>>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miQ3AE831pQ

Neither the French or the East Germans used tritium - ( a radioactive gas that needs to be encapsulated in glass to "glow" ). What they used was luminescent paint. There are different grades of efficacy available - that will retain varying amounts of light. You can probably buy some at a craft store like Hobby lobby or Michaels. Just paint over the existing, dulled areas.

Well now i have a plan of action. I'll post pictures when I obtain paint and redo the reticles. Thanks guys! Although, would regular GitD green or white be more correct for MPi?

White