German Post WWII Police marked No. 4 Mk1 rifle

Thread: German Post WWII Police marked No. 4 Mk1 rifle

Default German Post WWII Police marked No. 4 Mk1 rifle

Britian armed rural and city police forces with British arms during the post war occupation of their portion of Germany. I have examples of No.2 revolvers and Smith & Wesson revolvers. This is the only British rifle with police markings I have encountered.

"Pol. Lun. 707" markings appear on the buttplate and buttstock flat. "P" is marked on the receiver ring.
    Can anyone identify Lun? I suspect it is Lunen.
    Attached Thumbnails

Photos aren't showing on my end.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

same here. little x boxes.

Never read of any such thing, but have read that some No 4 MK I* Canadian rifles were used by the Bundeswehr in some capacity in 1956.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Lüneberg in Lower Saxony was in the British Zone. That seems like a good candidate.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

Photos are showing up on this end. Will try a different way. How is this? Preview works okay for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0012.jpg  

IMG_0009.jpg  

IMG_0003.jpg  

IMG_0001.jpg  

IMG_0013.jpg  

Second attempt looks good.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen." --- Samuel Adams

hello, my recently acquired 1942 Long Branch n4mk1* have P stamp on the receiver ring, but no other marks than usual LB and canadian government stamps. Another case of post war german police rifle? One thing i can be sure is, the rifle was in Italy, bears italian proof marks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_6651.jpg  

IMG_6654.jpg  

IMG_6655.jpg  

IMG_6653.jpg  

Last edited by soap; 03-21-2017 at 01:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jrhead75 View Post
    Lüneberg in Lower Saxony was in the British Zone. That seems like a good candidate.
    Thank you for the suggestion. Luneberg may be it as it is a district capital. I was bothered by the high inventory number, 707. Luneberg by itself did not seem to have the population to support such a high number but I can understand it if arms were spread out through the district. thanks, p.

Welcome soap. I can't comment on the receiver P as its style dose not match the one on my rifle and I have not seen any others to make a comparison. I note a nice c broadarrow on yours and would love to have an Italian proofed rifle like yours.

While cleaning my rifle I found an interesting item. It has the Mk1 spring loaded bolt catch but the receiver flat is marked No.4 Mk1* which normally indicates a notched receiver rail for bolt removal. It is a BSA (M) 1944 with BS serial number. Other than a few development pieces (I have one) Britain did not make the 1*.

Paul, are you sure it's not a Maltby? There's a known run of 20k or so 1944 Maltbys that were mismarked in that fashion. "BS" sounds like a '44 Maltby s/n prefix (BSA started using the 3XXXX serial number block in late '43 or early '44, so I don't know if they had time to get that far in the prefix progression).

Quote Originally Posted by jrhead75 View Post
    Paul, are you sure it's not a Maltby? There's a known run of 20k or so 1944 Maltbys that were mismarked in that fashion. "BS" sounds like a '44 Maltby s/n prefix (BSA started using the 3XXXX serial number block in late '43 or early '44, so I don't know if they had time to get that far in the prefix progression).

You are correct, I had a brain .art. socket has M marking next to date. Thanks for the correction.

Default Found Enfield revolver with same German police district markings

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No.2 1 r.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	2067378Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No.2 2 r.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	107.9 KB 
ID:	2067386Click image for larger version. 

Name:	No.2 3 r.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	193.7 KB 
ID:	2067394 Having found the above rifle with police makings, I was having twitches that there was a pistol with similar markings and sorted through stuff to find this pistol. Enfield 1944 No.2 Mk1** with backstrap markings: "Pol. Lun. 329." The backstrap markings do not photograph well. I suggest that rifles and pistols were inventoried together which explains the high rifle number of 707 which had been bothering me. Happy day.

I have a matching 1916 BSA No. 1 Mk. III with Austrian police markings on the Nock's Form. Is an interesting companion for my 1916 BSA single shot .22 conversion.

I've never actually seen one, but I know there are US M-1 Carbines with Bavarian police markings, also post WW II loans/gifts.

It may indcate Luneburg Kreis (sp.) which would be, for lack of a better term, Luneburg County. There's no real good translation of the term. It stands for a Governmental subdivision, Orr similar to Greater Luneburg. Sending from my I phone, not really able to explains better right now.
    "Enjoy every Sandwich" Warren Zevon