Winchester model 19895 magazine issues

Thread: Winchester model 19895 magazine issues

frown Winchester model 19895 magazine issues

a friend of mine has a model 95 and is having some feed problems. it's 30-40 caliber, appears to chamber and eject properly, but it's obvious it's a re-barrel. it appears there is a clearance problem with the rounds in the magazine. the heads of the shells drag on the walls of the magazine.

i'll admit I don't know much about these guns and was wondering if there is a difference in the magazine size depending on the round it was built for. judging from the fit of the magazine when installed in the gun, I don't see how there could or would be much difference. considering how close the tolerance is between the lever action and the magazine, it looks to me as if it would be a one size fits all.

any expert observations or knowledge would be helpful.
    trying to gain clearance for the rounds to function in the magazine and not having any luck.

thanks.

Clyde is offline Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by jgimar View Post
    a friend of mine has a model 95 and is having some feed problems. it's 30-40 caliber, appears to chamber and eject properly, but it's obvious it's a re-barrel. it appears there is a clearance problem with the rounds in the magazine. the heads of the shells drag on the walls of the magazine.

i'll admit I don't know much about these guns and was wondering if there is a difference in the magazine size depending on the round it was built for. judging from the fit of the magazine when installed in the gun, I don't see how there could or would be much difference. considering how close the tolerance is between the lever action and the magazine, it looks to me as if it would be a one size fits all.

any expert observations or knowledge would be helpful.
    trying to gain clearance for the rounds to function in the magazine and not having any luck.

thanks.
    As I understand it, the magazines vary with the round, just a bit. Need right magazine follower and such for 30-40 and all should be well. Finding the right one, now that could be a problem... Oh - so can installing and timing it - needs to be done by somebody who understands the gun.
    Absent comrades (sound of breaking glass)

thank you.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

If it's re-barreled perhaps it started life as a 30-06 which is a rimless style cartridge. Perhaps the problem is trying to use a 30-40 Krag in a 30-06 magazine. Maybe it just needs to have some file work depending on how badly the cartridges are dragging. If it were mind, I would try that in a heartbeat. I assume he is using the 1895 loading procedure by inserting the cartridge upright and tipping it down. This prevents cartridge head to be BEHIND the cartridge head below it. Hickock45 did this with a 30-06 version not realizing it was not necessary. I very much enjoyed the short lived feeling of superior knowledge. Hahahaha

I doubt you can get any of the rimmed cartridges that the 95 is chambered for to load easily into a magazine fitted for the .30-03/.30-06. Without the gun in my hand I'm just guessing, but the loading process for the rimmed cartridges must be followed or there will be issues. I also doubt Bubba rebarreled anything but the Miller Light tapper in his fridge. If you only load two rounds and they cycle ok then I would look at ctg stops/ctg guide fitting in the reciever. If that's the case and skill/experience/ability level is low, stop right there and get some qualified help. The guy that builds ar's or scrapes crud out of milsurps probably isn't your guy, no offense to anyone's tender ego, but you don't need your gun to be their first date.

Could be a simple case of Bubba squeezing the magazine in a vice without realizing he bent it inwards. As I recall the rear magazine lips are separate pieces that spring to accept cartridges. One of my very first rifles was an 1895 and I had problems with the lips being worn or buggered with somehow. I remember silver soldering them, fixed the problem to this day. Learned about the first time I loaded it to make sure the rim of the next cartridge was in front of the proceeding one.

if I get it working, I intend to point this out to him. that's one of the first things I remembered with the rimmed cartridge, but I recalled the procedure from reading about loading a 303 brit into the p-14 box mag. thanks for the tip.

not at all. I appreciate your candor and that may be very well what I do is slap it back together and tell the owner it may be a single shot. I think I'm getting a pretty good picture now that there obviously are some differences with the magazines depending on the caliber the gun was originally built for and I can't honestly say that it was an original 30-40. it seems to chamber and eject the round appropriately but that's loading a single round by hand. may be back in touch, thanks for the help.

thank you.