Need reputable gunsmith in Northern Virginia area

Thread: Need reputable gunsmith in Northern Virginia area

Default Need reputable gunsmith in Northern Virginia area

I have a WWII Gew. 43 that I would like to get into a condition that it's safe to fire. My Dad brought it back to the States at the end of WWII and it hasn't been fired since.

Does anyone know a reputable gunsmith in the Northern Virginia area (preferably Fairfax or Prince William Counties) who could check it out?

Thanks so much!

I would send it off to Apfeltor. That will require you to ship it but for such a project you can send it to the local bubba or to someone who knows what they're doing. These guns are not common and for such a simple design it is deceptively tricky(wow that sounds like a rebranded golf quote!) when handed to a local gunsmith used to repairing remington 700s and replacing glock sights.

Am listening here with great interest, as I have yet to find a gunsmith in NoVa who would know anything about a G.43 or frankly any other World War II firearm for that matter. None of the shops I've been to even sell old military rifles (with the possible exception of a recently imported Mosin Nagant or two).... they are basically all modern "black gun" resellers and any gunsmithing if done in-house focuses on customizing and accessorizing AR and AK style rifles. Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Take it to the VGCA gun show at the Manassas fair grounds this week end, someone in the club will know who to use. I am in the club I and I would use Apfeltor, but then I have access to an FFL so shipping is my only problem.

Quote Originally Posted by cartoonist View Post
    Am listening here with great interest, as I have yet to find a gunsmith in NoVa who would know anything about a G.43 or frankly any other World War II firearm for that matter. None of the shops I've been to even sell old military rifles (with the possible exception of a recently imported Mosin Nagant or two).... they are basically all modern "black gun" resellers and any gunsmithing if done in-house focuses on customizing and accessorizing AR and AK style rifles. Good luck!
    that is not just NOVA, but most everywhere it seems,

unfortunately, the nice older stuff is drying up,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

I have used Northern Virginia Gun Works in Newington, and consider them exceptional. They will disassemble and inspect your rifle, and tell you if it is safe, and/or if it needs work to be safe. A very good friend brought a Broomhandle from his late father to them, and they inspected it, and recommended not even removing the patina. They declared it serviceable, but recommended very limited use, if any at all.

I would not hesitate to take a GEW 43 to them for a safety inspection. The Garretts are a class act.

However, if it is in need of substantial restoration, they will not be likely to be interested. Their specialty is 1911 .45 pistols.

Why do you believe it may be unsafe, anyway? Because it has not been used since 1945? That is prudent caution. Or is there something else that is going on with it?

Can you tell us the code, date, and serial number range on the rifle?

Apfeltor....rare guns deserve to be serviced by persons with rare skills

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP Can you tell if the lug flaps match the receiver. if does you're good. I assume nothing is tampered on original rifle. You may have to take out gas system and clean the parts. I wouldn't shoot the all matching original.

Hello,

just for a FYI ANY individual can ship a firearm (NOT PISTOLS) to a place of business that deals in firearms repair AND has a FFL. The individual sending in the firearm for repairs DOES NOT need to go through a FFL holder to send to a FFL for a REPAIR only, it is not the same as a transfer whole different deal of course. The FFL the individual sent it to can send DIRECTLY BACK to the individuals HOME address as long as it is not the 5 boroughs of NEW YORK CITY or any city that bans this type of receiving of firearms. This is a FEDERAL rule. Many FFL holder say this is not true to make money on transfer fee and shipping fees, they are NOT transferring anything all they are doing is shipping a firearm as it doesn't even go into there bound BLUE book or CPU Book. Just thought I could save some folks some money, same goes for ppl who move across state lines. as long as its a LONG ARM not banned in the new state of residence a person can USPS mail and other from themselves to themselves. I have had the USPS when they get nosy and especially UPS show them here is my old address and NEW address and never had any problems.

Later
    vaughn
    Tula 91/30 Ex-Snipers WANTED!!!!!!! See List Below
    Zeiss Type Any Date
    Walther Type Any Date
    1932 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1933 PE, Top Mount, Hex Receiver
    1936 PE, Top Mount, Round Receiver
    1938 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1939 PE, Top Mount СП Marked
    1939 PE, Top Mount Siege Built
    1940 PE, Top Mount Siege Built