What to do?

Thread: What to do?

Default What to do?

Purchased this FN M93 dirt cheap to use as donor for a few parts (mainly stock) for a largely original Turk M93. The latter was never altered from its original form and still has the cutoff but the stock (duffle cut) is very poor and I'd like to put the rifle in better wood. My dilemma is that the FN turned out to be a surprisingly nice piece- all mismatched (other than original barrel) but with a nice patina and a good, shootable bore. No markings on the wood but written in pencil inside stock channel appears to be the word "Espana". I also think there's a few Spanish pieces on the bolt. My question is: does a mismatched piece like this have any collector value at all? Price-wise, I probably couldn't order a '93 stock for what I paid for the entire rifle so I am tempted to go ahead with the project which will entail permanently altering the stock. Any thoughts?

Ruprecht
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN5028.JPG   DSCN5032.JPG   DSCN5033.JPG   DSCN5034.JPG   DSCN5037.JPG   DSCN5038.jpg  

DSCN5039.JPG  

seems to me the early FN 93s are rather scarce;might be worth a little more than you realize.if you don't like it enuff to keep,why not try selling at a profit. then buy the correct stock for the Turk. stocks with alterations are usually noticed and dissed by collectors. the FN 93 has some originality,even with M/M parts. the Turk won't,with an altered stock. cheers.

geladen is offline Platinum Bullet Member and Curmudgeon-in-Training

No wood is better wood for your Turk M1893 than is the original stock, so long as it is complete. Your FN1893 was made for Spain (rear sight slider is Spanish replacement) and is certainly collectible by my standards unless and until an affordable better example comes along. If that happens, you can sell the original FN for a big part of the price for the new FN.

You might consider buying a Turk M1893/38 rifle to get the stock, then sell it in your bad stock. Look for one that has the cutout for the magazine shutoff box and no pistol grip.

The photo is my M1893/38.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Turkish M1893 1.JPG  
    Every post I make is made with a request for corrections. I'm here to learn.

Regards,
    Bill

III, GOA Life

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the replies, Frosty and geladen. I guess I'll be leaving the FN alone- if it was Spanish then there's a place for it in my collection. Leaves me back at square one with the Turk- the stock is not only a duffle cut but is very heavily sanded at the nose. I certainly could rejoin the nose but it will always detract from a pretty nice rifle. I also need a sight for it- that was the one part missing and, of course, there appear to be none out there. I had planned to use the sight from the donor rifle just to fill the void for now. Quite a few matching parts and those that don't are all Turkish. Here's a few shots of the Turk. Regards.

Ruprecht
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN3991.jpg   DSCN4003.jpg   DSCN4012N.jpg  

that is a pretty darn good example. the problem of the wood that you're describing doesn't show in the pics. you have two very good collectible early Mausers that imo,should be left as is.

+1 They're both pretty nice examples. I would find a sight and repair the cut.

A duffle cut stock is a pretty good assurance that it was brought home by a GI. I'd repair it and keep it original.
    "Though I've belted you and flayed you, by the livin' Gawd that made you, you're a better man than I am, Gunga Din"

Thanks for the helpful comments guys- the FN goes back into the safe unmolested. With regard to the Turk, I'm going to unobtrusively rejoin the two pieces of wood and continue the search for a sight leaf. Regards.

Ruprecht

I'd agree with those who would keep it as is, if I had it. I suggest if you really can't stand the fore end that you get a 93/38 stock as geladen suggested, and match the fore end from that stock with the rest of your original stock. That and the FN are both nice rifles.
    Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum.
    (To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.)

-M. Tullius Cicero

"Don't rejoice in his defeat, you men. For though the world stood up and stopped the bastard, the bitch that bore him is in heat again." -Bertolt Brecht

Quote Originally Posted by Ruprecht View Post
    Thanks for the replies, Frosty and geladen. I guess I'll be leaving the FN alone- if it was Spanish then there's a place for it in my collection. Leaves me back at square one with the Turk- the stock is not only a duffle cut but is very heavily sanded at the nose. I certainly could rejoin the nose but it will always detract from a pretty nice rifle. I also need a sight for it- that was the one part missing and, of course, there appear to be none out there. I had planned to use the sight from the donor rifle just to fill the void for now. Quite a few matching parts and those that don't are all Turkish. Here's a few shots of the Turk. Regards.

Ruprecht
    That gun is not bad at all. Concerning the stock, personally I would leave it alone. It is worth more with it's original stock, "duffle cut" or not.