Gunboards Forums banner

Like new 1909 Argentine Mauser

2K views 27 replies 18 participants last post by  infantryguy 
#1 ·
Bought this yesterday...it is the newest looking 1909 I've ever seen. All matching down to the cleaning rod. Bore is beyond excellent. It never ceases to amaze me that these were meant to be infantry rifles! The fit, finish, and quality is second to none. It came with about 300 rounds of surplus 7.65 Argentine. Tried to get a clear image of the headstamp. Anyone with any experience with this ammo?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
That is beautiful. Some of those South American Mausers are the best looking firearms around.

#4 ·
Nice! :thumbsup:

#7 ·
A beautiful rifle. Congrats. BTW - that Argentine surplus ammo might be heavily corroded inside the cases. Mine (SF made in 1980) looked pretty good externally, but inside every round I pulled was completely covered with verdigris.

#24 ·
If you clean your weapons, you should have no problem firing corrosive ammunition. Most people shoot corrosive and let it sit a week before cleaning it and that's the bad rep it gets. Light cleaning at the range/water down the bore if possible and then a more thorough cleaning at home and you'll be fine.

As for shooting it. If you found a beautiful 73 corvette convertible in mint condition. Wouldn't you want to take it for a spin just once before put into the garage collection? ;) All of my firearms get shot unless they are battle damaged. Maybe they get fired just once, but it's a rite of passage into the collection.

#12 ·
I would buy new manufacture PPU for it.
+1...

Prvi 180gr SP is accurate, boxer primed brass is reloadable, $15.99 per box of 20 rounds...

#17 ·
There's also 180 gr FMJ ammo available from PPU, albeit somewhat harder to find than the SP rounds. But both are accurate (with the SP shooting a little bit lower from my shooting buddies M1909 carbine) and worth their money.

#19 ·
Yes, Prvi FMJ is good stuff, and $1 less, per box of 20 rounds, than the Soft Points.

But, my local range won't let me shoot the FMJs, as they have been somehow convinced that the FMJs are more "dangerous" than the SPs... haven't "figgered out" why... I reckon either one would be "dangerous" if you were in the line of fire...

#18 ·
Don't remember where or when I got this ad...

Attachments

#23 ·
Beautiful 1909 Argentine rifle. I can honestly say I have never seen one that pristine. Regarding the SF 7.65x54 ammo. I ave about 7 boxes of the Argentine made hunting ammo and is marked SF 7.65x54 with what I believe are 180 grain soft points. None of this will fit in any of my sportered 1891's nor any of the barreled actions. Even went so far as pulling the bullets with an inertia bullet puller, removing the decapping pin and full length resizing the case and even then was stiff chambering.. I'd go with the Privi/PPU stuff as it's good non corrosive ammo and the brass is excellent. You could pull the bullets run them through a tumbler and load them inn your once fired cases. Dispose of the powder and scrap the brass. Again beautiful rifle. Frank

#25 ·
I worked at a tool & die shop where a regular customer was an old car collector. He had us make all sorts of one off parts for old rare cars. All of them were meticulously rebuilt and restored from the ground up. He had several car lifts that he worked on the cars. I forget what I was machining for him one time, something for the pistons of an engine, and I asked to drive the car by sometime so I could see it. You would have thought I asked him to feed his cat through a wood chipper.

Apparently when you are an antique car collector of rare and valuable cars you do not actually USE the cars. My boss later told me he had been over to the guys place. The guy waxes the under body when they are finished. He has cars and motorcycles perfectly restored that the engine will never see oil or coolant, or EVER be turned over even by hand.

To say I was floored is an understatement.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.