Huskvarna M-1951 Bolt Disassembly

Thread: Huskvarna M-1951 Bolt Disassembly

Default Huskvarna M-1951 Bolt Disassembly

How do I take apart the bolt on my M-1951 ? It''s an FN receiver and the bolt has a low rise 2 position safety. The usual k98 videos don't help

Thanks

??? Any pics of that bolt? If the rifle really is a 1951, it's a standard M/98 action.
    Coagula / Solve

Baribal; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baribal

Your rifle has an aftermarket, so-called ‘Low Scope’ bolt safety for scope non-interference in safety function. There are differing models of these aftermarket products and they don’t all function for bolt disassembly in the same manner. Perhaps the most proliferate, the Buhler model for the 98 mauser, replacing the standard three position military type safety, which the Husqvarna Model 1951 action was equipped.
    To my recollection the common disassembly method, (assurance the rifle is unloaded) withdraw the bolt. Place striker on a solid hard surface to engage the sear. Then to bear down on the bolt body in a manner to draw the sear backward against spring pressure, away from the bolt shroud. With sufficient clearance between shroud and sear unit obtained, inserting a coin or like object in the resulting space made affordable between the two. If successful, from that point, the bolt dismountable in conventional stock mauser 98 manner. See Website reference below.
    Hope my recollections are correct, my instructions reasonably clear and, of course, that it works! Please advise or ask for further assistance if necessary.
    With caveat regarding ‘senior recollection’ of matters some decades ago … Good luck and…
    Just my take

Ref: http://www.realguns.com/articles/382.htm

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the help. It's been taken apart, cleaned, and returned to the rifle !
    The bolt did have a 2 position low rise safety which didn't allow for me to cock the bolt and then engage the safety before removing the bolt. When on safe the bolt was locked.
    I removed the bolt uncocked, then was fiddling with it while depressing the plunger and did get the shroud turned 1/4 before getting stuck. I found a YouTube video which showed the striker being cocked with the help of a vise, after which I could disassemble the bolt after then moving the safety beyond the safe position when in the rifle and all the way clockwise.
    I have a couple of Swedish Mausers, and have reassembled these standard military bolts in the 96 action before, but this safety had me flummoxed.

I bought this beauty at a gunshow this past weekend. Serial number shows it was built in 1953. The last photo shows the predrilled holes for a receiver mount. I had intended to mount a Lyman 57FN peep sight I bought from the same vendor. Problem; holes are for the U.S. standard and are a bit too far apart for the European standard of the peep sight. I'll probably mount the base with one screw and locktite until I can find another compatible base.
    Anyone want a Lyman 57FN with European base, made from solid steel??

Iskra has it right. Pennies are great; they don't mar the bluing.
    The safety must be in the "OFF" or "FIRE" position when you do this.
    Don't try to use a screwdriver to push on the cocking piece because you will end up getting stitches in your hand and a screwdriver through the web is painful. (I learned that one as a teenager. )

Perkerized military shroud and safety, but the process is the same.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bolt Penny.JPG 
Views:	8 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	2066122
    How many psi in a CUP?

I did manage to get the bolt apart, thanks for all the input. I found that I could clamp the rear of the cocking piece in a vise and get enough clearance to unscrew the bolt.
    It looks like an aftermarket addition perhaps?

Can't wait to get some ammo together and try her out. I plan to use some cast bullets at lower velocity for lots of practise shooting.

OK. That appears to be well made. I don't know who the "PH" in a circle logo is. I had a Parker-Hale Safari with that kind of safety, but it, like most things Parker-Hale Midland, was marked simply "P-H" on the lever.
    How many psi in a CUP?

Speaking as someone who has cracked a stock behind the tang on one of these beautiful old rifles consider bedding the stock behind the recoil lug before shooting it. At least disassemble and make sure the lug is tight to the stock and the action screws are tight. Good choice to also use reduced loads if your caliber is compatible with them. Enjoy!