Mauser 98

Thread: Mauser 98

frown Mauser 98

Hello, I am more of a Makarov guy, with a few Walther pistols thrown in, and older S&W's. I have been watching a few items on Gun Broker and I certainly have questions about this auction, #627078329, seller Gunsrc, final sale price $5825.00. WW2 98k Mauser , code CE 41.
    I did notice the rifle has two different styles of proof marks, 359=Walther, and 37 which I cannot remember.
    Mauser collectors teach me the facts about this rifle, as why is it so different to command such a high price? I already know the basics of a 98k, however, I am at a total loss on this one.
    Thank you, Philip/ Simson-Suhl

I'd just guess it was a combination of a very nice gun and a bidding war. I doubt my own all-matching ce 41 would bring half that much.

Nice looking piece but some of if makes me wonder it it was doctored..for one thing, when did they put the serial number on a cupped buttplate?
    Also some of the markings on the receiver look shallow, and the font on some of them seem off to me...don't know for sure but that's way too much money if it's all legit and so sorry charley if they are not...

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

We've discussed this one the k98k forum and among the experts there is the belief that someone has done a little work to the gun to make it look nicer and that it really tops was only a $2500 gun at the absolute most
    As of 9/17/2011 new member of the 98k Sniper Club, bcd 45 lsr
    11/2/12 SSZZA4 bnz 43 #8301 added to the family
    1/2/13 Joined the Classic Arms 91/30 PU family

Bitterly clinging to my guns and religion since 11/6/2012

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I was in a discussion of serials on cupped butt plates once. I said 'no' others said 'some', so I checked my small group of K98's and sure enough I have one with a serial number. Guess it was just some early cupped plates. 41 would be an 'early' one, and there are always difference in makers, they never made changes all on the same date!

Yes, the first year or so of cupped buttplates were numbered. My ce 41 has a numbered cupped plate. I think it stopped by late 41 or during 42.

I also have a laminated stock with a s/n stamped in the cupped buttplate. matches the stock and bayo lug I think its a r/c stock

Default Original CE 41 Untouched Since 1958

Happy to see such a going price, even if crazy! My very own CE41 Sauer Model 98, about mint and all matching down to the bands, action screws and… yes, the buttplate. More than a few cartouches on the stock too. The broken off cleaning rod also matching! This my first mauser, a gift from my late father, purchased as passing through Grand Junction, Colorado in 1958 and in my hands since. Yet the point at that time, I doubt anyone this side of the Wehrmacht to be messing with it much! Especially such at the price dad would have paid in those days. Some perhaps relevant photos of the old girl. None ready for ‘prime time’, just from my photo documentation files made about a decade ago in a fit of energy.
    Suggested to show what almost certainly is an original bring back/import. Also, unabashedly worked as an opportunity for sharing an excursion down memory lane. Any observations, opinions, feedback, appreciated.
    My take

Photos Group One. Group two continued, next Post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R366-2.jpg   R366-3.jpg   R366-4.jpg   R366-7.jpg   R366-9.jpg   R366-12U.jpg  

R366-16U.jpg   R366-17.jpg  

My CE 41 rifle photos, Part Dux!
    As I think about it, any observations concerning the meaning of the partially revealed large "S" on the barrel breech right right side, just above the stock line.
    Tnanks for observations/information!
    iskra
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails R366-20.jpg   R366-23.jpg   R366-24.jpg   R366-26.jpg   R366-27.jpg   R366-32.jpg  

R366-37.jpg   R366-38.jpg  

The S5 is probably part of the barrel code of which most is hidden under the stock.