Gunboards Forums banner

Blank fire 1842 Springfield musket methods?

2K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  boyt44 
#1 ·
I assume there are correct or safe ways of firing muskets and older black powder weapons the same as rein actors?

Second, wouldn't shooting older weapons this way reduce the pressure considerably since you don't have the mass of a lead ball?

Last, why are all the 1842 Springfield muskets in the white or without a metal finish? Surely they all haven't been burnished clean and bright? I know mine has been cleaned because of the light pitting, but all the others that I have seen don't have any type of finish.

See less See more
#2 ·
Black powder burns no differently pressurized or not.

Yes, there is probably some pressure drop due to not having a projectile but with BP's same burn characteristics, not a huge amount.

A little paper packed down atop the charge to hold the charge in place and you have a blank.
Probably ought to use damp paper to reduce the risk of grass fires.

#3 ·
Black powder burns no differently pressurized or not.

Yes, there is probably some pressure drop due to not having a projectile but with BP's same burn characteristics, not a huge amount.
Firing without ball, the pressure is depressed considerably.

A little paper packed down atop the charge to hold the charge in place and you have a blank.
Probably ought to use damp paper to reduce the risk of grass fires.
You can add wading to the "blank" but it is not necessary, with a charge of 60 to 80 grains of 2F BP, you can get a respectable bang from the .69 cal. musket without paper. If you use a wad, do not dampen the paper. Depending on how long you wait to fire the weapon, it will dampen a part of the powder in the charge.

#6 ·
That could well be, I'm running on memory until I can winkle one of my Flayderman's out of hiding. Many of our arms that did have case-hardened lockplates used water hardening and they came out black instead of mottled color.

#7 ·
As a CW Reenactor, there is a considerable difference in firing a musket with and without a projectile. In our mock "battles", we just pour 60 grains of BP down the barrel, give the gun butt a little thump on the ground to settle the charge, cap it, and fire. It makes a sort of 'Flooompf" sound, with no recoil. We don't use our ramrods to pack paper over the charge, to prevent someone from getting careless in the battle and firing their ramrod at the "enemy". It's a whole different thing when you fire a minie ball with that same 60 grains-a sharp report and a noticeable recoil.

#8 ·
Thanks everybody for the information. Would FFF be okay in the musket or would it be better to go with FF? I read that the 1842 musket barrels were made thicker than needed for the ability to rifle them in the future.

Has anyone shot an original in good condition with a full load? I have loaded for years with smokeless powders. I would think half the weight in buckshot would be safer than loading a full weight 69 caliber ball. Less weight should produce less pressure, but in smokeless powder you have to be careful about loads that are to light.

Thanks again,

Tribrothers

#9 ·
In my work as a Film Armourer, both Flint and Percussion Muskets for Blanks made the same way as the original "Blank" Cartridges...rolled Paper, with Powder inside, same charge as for Ball. Usually 3Fg ( 2 and greater grades foul too much.)

The Other method is to have "Cartridge Tubes" ( Plastic or Brass) and Just Pour the Powder down, Followed by a Waxed Cardboard disk ( cut from Corrugated Fruit/Vegetable Box, Waxed Board) and Fitted to the Muszzle, then Rammed down to hold the Powder in place. Firing is done with the Safety Parameter of 20 Feet( 6 metres) and the Card wad usually flutters down to earth, unburnt.
Of course the Loading is done by the Armourer, not the extra/actor...unless you have to film the shooter biting off the paper Tail, and pouring the Powder down etc...the entire sequence is usually filmed in "Takes" under armourer control...

And scenes of lines of Redcoats or Bluecoats firing is done after everyone is "Ready" ( loads correctly done, Primed/capped, and Rods returned to barrel channels...Even in re-enactments here, the "Sarn't-major" calling out the Cadence of Loading, ensures that it is all done correctly ( in Pukka British style)...same with Cannon fire ( land and Sea). ( as was done originally.)

I have shot 1720 Blunderbusses ( .75 bore),Flint, Brown Bess "Trade" 1800s, French M1842 (Percussion) Enfield P.53 Percussion, and Prussian M1851 Cavalry Carbine (Percussion) all with Blank loads ( between 50 and 70 grains FFFg.. Waxed Closure wad, Loose Powder from Loading tube---.Great "Crack" ( not "foompah"), right amount of smoke, and a hell of a lot of Water cleaning at the end of the day....

Doc AV
AVBFILMGUNS

Down Under

#10 ·
I had a cut-down 1842 Springfield when I was a kid-I hunted with it all the time. I either used birdshot, or I loaded it with a .69 round ball (I had an original bullet mold for it). I don't remember the charge of FFFg I used, but it varied. With just a small blade on the front band, and no rear sight, aiming was not very precise, and if I was lucky enough to hit something, those big round balls packed a punch.

#11 ·
Thanks DocAv. Are the guns listed original weapons, or reproductions?

Thank you everybody for your comments and experiences.

Boyt44, hunting with a single 69 caliber ball would be an experience. I could see how these as surplus would make effective and cheap shotguns back in the day. I assume yours was a smooth bore, or did you get one that was later rifled?

Tribrothers

#12 ·
The .69 smooth-bores were MAINLY used for small game and birds with appropriate charges of small-shot. With the big balls (or a buck & ball load) they did just fine on larger game or intruders. Had to lie in wait or learn to stalk, of course, as given the lack of sights, was hard to hit if much range. I haven't ever hunted with a smooth-bore musket, but did shoot one on game targets in years past. Beyond 25-35 yards, well, I don't think I'd have brought much game back without a whole lot more practice, and maybe adding better sights. Couple of friends had 1816 Flinters (real thing) and I got to shoot them some

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.