Gunboards Forums banner

Second Husqvarna

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  BigUke 
#1 ·
I bought my second Husqvarna this past weekend. The first one is an M38 built in 1942 that I bought over 30 years ago for $59.

The second Husqvarna was just what I had been looking for. After cruising this fine website and a few others, I had to get a civilian version.
It's a M-1951 Deluxe Hi Power in 30-06;

The receiver was drilled from the factory for a receiver sight, which will be the next item mounted on the rifle. I have a Layman 57FN with target knobs waiting.
The scope base mounting holes which were later added will be filled with screw plugs for now. (The bases and rings also came with the rifle.)

I can see that these rifles can be addicting. Fine craftsmanship, nice wood, real metal, what's not to like. It's almost my age but in much better shape !

Hmmm, what will I find at the next gun show??

See less See more
#4 ·
The rifle had the tag "Husqvarna M-1951 Deluxe High-Power Walnut 30-06".
The guy I bought it from seemed very aware of what the rifle was, as he had owned a gunshop in northern BC a while back.
The stock back sight is a dovetail fit on the barrel. The screw holes for the receiver sight were drilled at the factory and filled with screw plugs.
The Weaver scope mounts #45 and #46 were mounted on the receiver in holes drilled after the rifle left the factory. Rings came with it as well.
The Lyman 57FN peep sight I also bought unfortunately have the holes drilled for the European standard .630" (16mm) rather than the US standard of .625", so a search is on for a new mount, or a swap for a 57SMET. I'd rather have the older one made from steel, but might mount it with one screw and some Locktite for now to see how it works, temporarily.

#5 · (Edited)
The nickname "1950" and "1951" was dropped pretty fast by Tradewinds. In Europe, it was simply called "640".
Tradewinds made up a lot of confusing names for their lines of rifles....

Your rifle would actually be a "Hi-Power Deluxe" and to add to the confusion, they also called it a 1100 when the bolt was jeweled.... This add is from 1952.

Go see a good gunsmith and he will fit your receiver sight to your rifles, pretty easy to make the holes slighlty oblong...

#6 ·
Yep, the Model 640 was what I thought it was from reading this forum and the M-1951 designation was new to me. The ads on Tradex show the M98 sporter as being a close fit except for the stock forend. I had considered a 1600 in 30-06 from them until I came across this specimen. Who knows, I might still get one.
I might put the 57FN up for sale and look for a compatible base rather than open up the holes on this one.
I can't get the attachment downloaded, could you PM it to me?

Thanks for all your contributions to this group.

#8 · (Edited)
Trade Ex use the names they were first registered in the old Canadian registry system. That's why it goes by M/96 or M/98 Sporter and 1600 etc.

As for the attachment, you should be able to save it by clicking on it, and right clicking your mouse then choose "save the image". Sending it by MP will use the same type of attachment.

As for your sight, 0.012" each side won't make iany difference to anyone... but it's yours.

#10 ·
The pre-48 weren't D&T for scope and receiver sights and in Europe even the late 640's (post 1952) are easily found without D&T and those found already doe are often off standard....
Tradewinds / Johnson started importing the FN based rifles around 1950 and their rifles seems to have been D&T by them (or for them, it's not clear) but it wasn't a standard in Europe until the coming of the 1600/1640.

#12 ·
My guess that the 2 position safety was a Parker Hale aftermarket item added later when the receiver was drilled and scope bases installed.
My batch of 30-06 brass arrived in the mail yesterday, so I should be ready for the range after I get some rounds loaded up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.