Gunboards Forums banner

Opinions Requested on Swedish Mauser Value

7K views 36 replies 19 participants last post by  Bobby Ricigliano 
#1 ·
Hello gents,

I am looking to liquidate some milsurps that I don't have any time for and this Swedish Mauser M38 has sat in the safe for some time. I would appreciate any input as to a fair market price. The bore is excellent and the bolt handle matches the receiver, although I am not sure about some of the smaller parts.

Thanks in advance for any input,
BR

See less See more
#10 ·
The Swedes considered all short rifles m38s whether a modified m96 or not. M38/96 is a term never used by the Swedes.

You see an m96 converted to an m38 with an occasional bent bolt numbered to the rifle on late rebuilds.

#11 ·
Southpaw Swede

Aren't the cut-down m/96 to m/38 conversions more valuable?

Every one of the Huskie m/38's I ever seen were lower quality than their older m/96 brothers, which was to be expected.

And as a Southpaw shooter, I much prefer the straight bolts; I can work the bolt almost as fast as any right-hander I've been shooting with.

Beautiful Swede either way!!

#13 ·

Every one of the Huskie m/38's I ever seen were lower quality than their older m/96 brothers, which was to be expected.
Them's fightin' words! Husqvarna declined an offer from CG for parts since they did not meet their standards. Husqvarna didn't bother to finely polish noncritical parts, e.g. the insides of the magazine well. Everything else is the equal of CG in fit or finish. Metallurgy may even be better, but I have no documentation in that regard.

And as a Southpaw shooter, I much prefer the straight bolts; I can work the bolt almost as fast as any right-hander I've been shooting with.

Beautiful Swede either way!!
My range buddy shoots an M96 a la lefty and loves it. He also shoots - very well - his 03-A3, and it is painful to watch the calisthenics involved shooting this rifle left handed. He also shoots a Swiss K31, but has one of the left-handed operating rods Swiss Products made several years ago.

#12 ·
Don't know where you guys get your Swedish rifles, but that gun would be $400+ all day long in my neck of the woods. You could replace the Versteras rear sight with a regular sight, sell the rifle for $350, and get another $100+ for the sight.

If you want to sell it for $300 send me a PM, I'll take it, but I guarantee you can do better on GB.

#16 ·
Swede m/38

I stand corrected, Gentlemen.......and sorry for dragging the thread out into the bush, too.

Actually, I've never owned or fired an m/38, so I was going on hearsay about Husqvarna's quality control.

#17 ·
I gotta agree with SHEEPDAWG concerning the price. As I have written before, I am not usually a buyer of complete militaries but I do like the Swedes and I have a complete M38S like yours but made in 1941. The bolt on mine is turned also but it does have the last 3 #'s from the serial # on it. I have considered putting mine on Gunbroker with an opening price of at least $500 and probably a reserve price above that. Good luck if you decide to sell yours.

#24 ·
I have bought and sold on Gunbroker with a wide spectrum of experiences. There are shill bidders and shenanigans around every corner. Example:

Place the one and only bid on an item
Get outbid by $1 - $5 from a NR bidder
Item is miraculously back for sale a week later

Item is priced attractively to get attention but a Shill account is on standby to ensure the item doesn't sell for less than the seller wants for it.

At at least the seller still has to pay a vig to the house. GB gets their juice no matter what.

#27 · (Edited)
The hand guard has a small (nearly undetectable) split at the rear sight that has been repaired. There is a gouge or ding under the bolt handle that can't be seen when the bolt is closed. The serial number 989 appears on most of the parts including the bolt parts, but the bolt ball is unnumbered. The cleaning rod looks original with same patina as everything else but is unnumbered.

Thanks to all for the information and comments.

#29 ·
Just happened on this thread. Have a nice representation of non-rare Model 96 rifles and a several Husqvarna mils too. Certainly not a highly knowledgeable collector here. But an idea of what sells. Here in SoCal, that puppy would probably at least fetch $500. Perhaps more. Also likely the purchaser wouldn't have a lick of information or expertise. "Looking pretty" the overwhelming criteria and selling point. Representation that it "shoots ok", to clinch the deal.
My take

#31 ·
I picked one up a few months ago. 1902, also inspected by Konrad Berglund, serial # is just about 100 before this one, so very close in manufacture date I'd guess. Mine does not have the fancy rear sight, bluing is a little better, and all parts match, it came with the original sling and the sight hood. Asking price was $350, I paid $325. I think the guy could have gotten $350, but was not moving as many rifles as he'd hoped.

I'd put the value of that one at $275 - 300. $275 being a good deal, and $300 being about the max of what you could expect to get out of it in my market.

#33 ·
I purchased to super nice M39 one made in 1942 the other in 1943 by Husqvarna. They go with my FSR M 96 and my M96 sporter Kimber American.
the over all condition of my M38’s are very similar bone 95% the other 96 to 97%
according to Legact. The bore on both are 9plus on both.out of 10.
got both for less than 6bills plus shipping