Finned 1939 Izhevesk M91/30

Thread: Finned 1939 Izhevesk M91/30

Default Finned 1939 Izhevesk M91/30

Nice features on this one - double stacked front sight and wartime finger-spliced stock. Bolt is Finn ground and renumbered, buttplate and magazine cover non-matching as is typical for these. The rifle had the original pigskin hangers, I added a Finn marked sling I had laying around.

It's packed with cosmoline, I still need to degrease and clean it. Hopefully a range trip on Friday.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shank.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	399.0 KB 
ID:	2066458Click image for larger version. 

Name:	double-stacked.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	418.7 KB 
ID:	2066466Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1939 Finned Izhevsk M91-30.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	317.0 KB 
ID:	2066474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SA-proof.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	401.3 KB 
ID:	2066482Click image for larger version. 

Name:	splice-side-view.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	394.4 KB 
ID:	2066490Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bolt-serno.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	374.6 KB 
ID:	2066498Click image for larger version. 

Name:	finger-splice.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	393.7 KB 
ID:	2066506Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Finnish-marked-sling.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	2066514

This is the rifle that had the trigger housing and rear bolt problem as described here:

http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...=1#post6512578

These pictures are after I replaced the parts from another rifle that's a non-shooter (I guess the other one is now just a parts rifle).

Beautiful rifle, congrats
    Left the army, still I'll never get promoted from a "Knuckle Dragger".

Default 41 marked shank and stock - additional photos

More photos - The shank and the stock are both "41" marked. I've got another 1939 Finn captured M91/30 but it's in a Russian stock and only 41 marked on the shank.

This rifle also has what appears to be a plugged sling swivel hole on the underside of the buttstock behind the rear escutcheon.

Name:	41-shank.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	395.0 KB 
ID:	2066562Click image for larger version. 

Name:	41-stock.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	303.7 KB 
ID:	2066570

Plugged sling swivel hole?

Name:	stock-plug.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	368.1 KB 
ID:	2066578

Magazine and buttplate

Name:	magazine.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	328.6 KB 
ID:	2066586Click image for larger version. 

Name:	buttplate.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	311.1 KB 
ID:	2066594

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Nice looking rifle! Now you know how I end up with so many parts rifles! Had quite a few of these over the years. There are mechanically inclined people in this world and then there are people who ought to stay away from tools of any sort! That is how things like this come about. America is indeed one of the only countries in the world where we have the right to breed imbeciles I am afraid. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    Nice looking rifle! Now you know how I end up with so many parts rifles! Had quite a few of these over the years. There are mechanically inclined people in this world and then there are people who ought to stay away from tools of any sort! That is how things like this come about. America is indeed one of the only countries in the world where we have the right to breed imbeciles I am afraid. Bill
    Have you got a spare magazine and rear bolt available? The magazine I had to replace has the older Tula hammer on it. Let me know, thanks!

Talking Finnish 1930 M91/30 - update

*UPDATE* - I finally had time to disassemble and clean it up before a range trip last weekend. The underside of the barreled action and internal portion of the magazine were slathered in old grease, with lots of some sort of pine needles added into the mix. Although hard to believe, my conclusion is that the rifle was assembled this way in Finland, and the rear bolt was forced into place at that time.

Given the extreme effort required to remove the bolt, I'm convinced that it was never disassembled after importation.

There are shims of some sort installed both front and rear, and they are held in place wit a small steel nail or brad. The barrel and chamber were also packed with dark thick grease, I was tempted to save some of it but had no suitable container at the time.

The tang date is 1939, matching the barrel date.

The rifle shoots slightly to the left, so I need to drift the front sight left just a little. With Kentucky windage, I was able to consistently hit the 9 and 10 rings at 100 yards.

I'm VERY pleased with this acquisition.

What was the Finnish designation for this rifle? For some reason, "M30" comes to mind. Is that correct?

I think the M30 refers to the specific '43 and '44 Tikka barreled rifles.....Tikka barrels of the 91-30 length often found in Finn 2 piece or 2 piece potbelly stocks. Denny