Stiff Makarov Safety/ Decocker

Thread: Stiff Makarov Safety/ Decocker

Default Stiff Makarov Safety/ Decocker

So I recently got my first Bulgarian Makarov and everything about it seems rather stiff. I have attributed most of this to it likely being not heavily used before. (it's one of the SOG "appears unissued")

It was dipped in cosmoline when I received it so I completely disassembled it and cleaned it all out. Upon re-assembly the only trouble I had reassembling it was getting the safety lever back into position. At first I thought maybe I had the firing pin out of alignment, but that was in the correct position. I was able to get the safety lever into position, but it just took much more force than I thought it should to get the little spring tongue over the 'hump' of the slide. I ended up protecting it with a block of rubber and using a light hammer to get it over. Is this normal?

Also, the safety/decocker is incredibly stiff to switch back and forth. It appears to function normally, decocking the hammer when returning to the 'safe' position. The firing pin is loose and free floating. Everything appears normal, just crazy stiff to move. So much so that I can't switch it with my thumb from the firing position. Is this normal as well? Or am I just being a capitalist weakling against this communist gun?

In addition to that the magazines are crazy difficult to get the 8th round into. I haven't received my loading tool yet, but the springs on those mags seems strong as hell too.

I haven't previously had strength issues when working on my mosin nagants or my sks, this is why I am bringing this up.

Thanks!

You are a disgrace to the Party, Comrade Cow. Babushka's in their 80's do not have this problem. I suggest you start lifting crates of 7.69 ammo to build up your capitalist muscles.

jk

I have experienced exactly the same problems. I'd hate to rely on my own puny hand muscles to flick off the safety in a firefight. And loading the mag to full cap? Double ouch.

I acquired 3 like new bulgy Makarovs, and one was exactly as you describe, and the hammer and safety were both the nice plum color that the others lacked. I ordered a new safety and installed it, problem solved, but it no longer matches the plum hammer. It seems someone else here had the problem. If remember he removed the spring from the safety lever and filed some metal from the underside of the lever and this eased the movement (it was clear on my gun that the underside of the lever was scraping against the slide and restricting movement. I am considering a similar fix to get the colors to match again, but may consider removing metal from the part of the shaft that holds the safety lever against the slide to loosen things up. Not the best description of my plan, but I'll see if I can find time to look at the old lever for study.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

This seems pretty normal for an unissued/little used gun. The inherent design of the safety spring detent, as well as the rough machining inside the safety recess pocket, all combine to a stiff and gritty feel.

I recommend just getting used to it, or flipping the safety on/off several times when watching TV to form a nice deep scratch for smoother operation. Alternatively, you can use a pair of pliers to deform the spring detent so that it doesn't stick out as much out of the safety. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by The Hayman View Post
    I acquired 3 like new bulgy Makarovs, and one was exactly as you describe, and the hammer and safety were both the nice plum color that the others lacked. I ordered a new safety and installed it, problem solved, but it no longer matches the plum hammer. It seems someone else here had the problem. If remember he removed the spring from the safety lever and filed some metal from the underside of the lever and this eased the movement (it was clear on my gun that the underside of the lever was scraping against the slide and restricting movement. I am considering a similar fix to get the colors to match again, but may consider removing metal from the part of the shaft that holds the safety lever against the slide to loosen things up. Not the best description of my plan, but I'll see if I can find time to look at the old lever for study.
    Yep! The safety, extractor and hammer all have that reddish plum finish to them. I was considering filing some of the metal down or deforming the spring under the lever, but I'm going to tough it out for at least 200 rounds before I go messing with it more.

As Meerkoos suggested, I have been sitting around fiddling with it while watching TV haha, hoping that 'working it' might loosen it up over time. I'll let you know as the weeks go on if it gets any better or I decide to try alternative methods....

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

OR, you could go on the WTB forum here and advertise for another plum-colored safety lever (I'm sure SOMEBODY will have one) and see if it works any better than the one you have (it just might).

I do have a spare plum safety, but I am saving it for replacing the one that came in my current carry pistol (a Bulgy Arsenal), which is currently about equal parts silver and plum. If you actually USE the gun, the high edges on the safety will lose that nice plum color rather quickly.

At least, if you can get a spare lever to your liking, you will have a fallback position if something unrecoverable happens when you work on the original safety.

Giving it a while to 'work it in' before you do anything is also a pretty good course of action.

You can just buy the detent safety/decocker spring.
    HERE: http://gunandsurplus.com/Gun-Parts-Accessories/Makarov
    One might try replacing it and deburring the plum piece with steel wool (or a small file, with a deft touch). Personally, I would take the safety off again and practice aligning it and the firing pin. Never heard of needing a small hammer to install one (but if the firing pin and safety/decocker are a little out of alignment, forcing the piece into position, forces the firing pin into position). When reinstalling, a paper matchbook cover under the spring will save scratching the slide on top. YMMV.

If I remember right I just squeezed the detent spring a little with pliers. It doesn't take much.

Sent from my E6782 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stjoan1 View Post
    If I remember right I just squeezed the detent spring a little with pliers.
    That's what I did also but not that much. I wanted it workable with my thumb but still sort of stiff.

Yes, doesn't take much