Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by tut1559 View Post
    I just picked up one of these in Tulsa last week. The serial is in the 6500 range. It has the USMC markings, safety like the Garand, I would rate finish 97% or better. Bolt has a little speckle to it. ( I have not tried to clean it ). The stock has a small DOD acceptance stamp on the inside of the pistol grip? Would the stamp be right? The stock is perfect and appears original to the gun. Does anyone know when it would have been made? It also had a garand sling on it. Web that is. I am new to these rifles and any information would be great.
    Hello tut1559:

It sounds like you found a nice one. The MC-58 stocks are the ones that had the DOD stamp. The earlier Mod 65 stocks were unmarked.

That serial number is at the lower end of the range. They ran up to about 9500. The bolts were "in the white", so its common to see them with some speckling even on unissued rifles. The extractors can also rust in place.

They were made in the late 50's, 1958 and 1959. They were introduced at the time the M14 rifles were introduced.

I'll send you an e-mail too.

Thanks,
    Cass

Default Model 65's are C&R

Quote Originally Posted by Cass View Post
    No. I referred to the picture only because the Model MC-58 also has the words "Model #65 Modified" stamped on the receiver and that sometimes causes confusion.

Cass
    Fushigi Ojisan,

Cass is correct. Model 65's are C&R. I have corresponded with ATF on this subject, and they also confirmed C&R status.

David Albert
    [email protected]

Question

Confused a bit. Did only the 58s have the safety in the trigger guard? Also saw one with "APG" stamped on it. Meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
    Confused a bit. Did only the 58s have the safety in the trigger guard? Also saw one with "APG" stamped on it. Meaning?
    vintovka,

Yes, only the MC-58's have the Garand style safety in the trigger guard. Although I've never seen one marked "APG," it's likely to stand for "Aberdeen Proving Ground."

David Albert
    [email protected]

Cass, Spotted another Mod 65 for your records however, this one is a bit strange. Standard Mod 65 markings except that right above the reciever markings it is stamped "USMC property" using what looks like standard die stamps. Two things that were on the down side. Someone had drilled and tapped it for a scope along the left side of the barrel (had to take a small bit of the stock out to fit). The two holes are drilled so the "22 long rifle" is centered in between them. The other thing that was on the down side was the price for the condition at $800 plus. Serial #15518. Seems like a high number for USMC use?

Quote Originally Posted by type-14 View Post
    Cass, Spotted another Mod 65 for your records however, this one is a bit strange. Standard Mod 65 markings except that right above the reciever markings it is stamped "USMC property" using what looks like standard die stamps. Two things that were on the down side. Someone had drilled and tapped it for a scope along the left side of the barrel (had to take a small bit of the stock out to fit). The two holes are drilled so the "22 long rifle" is centered in between them. The other thing that was on the down side was the price for the condition at $800 plus. Serial #15518. Seems like a high number for USMC use?
    type-14,

Any chance of posting a picture of the "USMC Property" marking on your Model 65? I'd like to document it and compare it to my Model 65 NM with a "USMC" marking.

Thanks!

David Albert
    [email protected]

Default My "Civilian" Version - H&R Leatherneck Model 150

Those are nice. I would like to have one of the US Issued ones; I have a Model 150 Leatherneck, the civilian version by H&R. Here's a few photos of the civvie:

I have too many guns...heh heh heh

Dabert, sorry not mine. Saw it at a local show and due to the price and drilling for a scope I left it on the seller's table.

Eureka! After 6 months of toil by me and 3 gunsmiths, I finally have my Model 65 up and running like a clock!
    When I purchase it, the rear sight had been "hit" such that the adjustment screws would no longer turn. I sent that off to the "rear sight doctor" to be straightened up and fixed. Also the rifle refused to cycle 2 rounds consecutively-ever. My attempt to diagnosis the problem was without success. Gunsmith # 1 said he fixed it and it shot fine for him but never would for me. I came close to selling it at this point. However I tried another gunsmith this past weekend and by gosh he fixed it! I shot several magazines through it without a hitch. For what it's worth, he said there were was discernable roughness to the bolt face which prevented the base of the next round from sliding up and seating properly. He carefully smoothed the bolt face and that solved the problem.
    The gun is immaculate so I figure the bolt face issue must have always existed and the gun must not have ever been fired much.
    I probably have more gunsmith money in this rifle than what it is worth but that is no longer important. I'm excited about getting it up and running and am now curious at how well it will shoot. For those interested, the serial # on mine is 17190, has all the early pre-1947 features and is parkerized (it now has that greenish tinge to it).

Also a question: Is the barrel and receiver one piece or two pieces? Is the barrel screwed into the receiver?
    Thanks!
    Kim
    Last edited by kfields; 07-13-2009 at 06:27 AM.

Default My dad's Mod 65

Hello, my name is Doug Farrell from So Cal and I just found this site. I'm posting because I have un-earthed my dads Korean war target rifle. The last time it was fired was by me, in 1976. It has been lost, found, lost, and found again due to moving several times. But I have always held onto it and I have always had it in a rifle case.
    I know nothing about this rifle. It seems to be in tact but I seem to be missing the mag(can't even remember how many rounds it holds). I'd like to get a couple of them if they are available.
    The barrel has this stamped next to the three site dials:

MOD 65-H & R Reising 22 CAL
    Harrington and Richardson Arms Co.
    Worchestor, MASS USA

The serial# is 17142

Is there a way to find out when it was manufactured? My dad served in '50-'51. Any special hidden spots to look for? What is the big screw for in front where the mag goes in? It also has a sling that is in great shape. The whole rifle looks to be in great shape.

I am not looking to sell it but to get it back to operating order. It worked great in '76...25 years after it was in service.

Any help or guidance would be apprecated. I remember it being really heavy when I was 16. Not so much anymore at 49.

Thanks,

Doug
    P.S. I can post pictures

You H&R 65 was probaly made at the end of WW11. The H&R 65 was a training rifle for USMC. Somewhere it was written about serial number 17,000 is thought to be the cut off serial number for military guns. There are no records known. So yours could be and it could not be military. In 1945 H&R started selling remaining Models 65 to civilians.
    You should be able to get magazines from Dave McWhorter sales in Mich, 260-962-0214. [email protected] Good luck.

Thank you for your information. My goal is to have this rifle in top firing order so I can take my dad to the firing range for his birthday while he can still shoot straight. I know he hasn't seen the rifle in at least 40 years and hasn't fired any firearm since the war.
    Doug

Gent's on my model 65 the mag is very hard to remove, any help would be appreicated. Thanks Joe.

There is a posting over on milsup.com under .22 Smallbore rifles about a H&R 65 USMC "Rat-Gun". Posted as a H&R 65 Trainer during WW11 with a silencer on it to shoot rats in the garbage dumps in the South Seas Islands. Anyone ever heard of this?

Default Model 65

I just found a nice MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
    HARRINGTON AND RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
    WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A. at a local flea market it is in great condition unfortunately someone tapped a old weaver scope and frame on side. other than that excellent wood clean no rust or other damage. i removed buttplate it it stamped on wood B-400 serial Number 5746 i paid 120.00 for it. i sort of knew it was military this wonderfull website confirmed it. I am now in the market for the correct peep site for it ! does anyone here know from the serial number range the age of this? thanks Carlos

Hello to everyone I'm New to the Group!
    Among other weapons, I have a Model 65-H&R Reising S#58xx No US Government Property Makings or USMC Markings Visible anywhere? Just curious am I missing them or where should they be stamped at? What a wonderful shooter it is. I shot this and won Many of our Local Club shooting matches back in the 80's and early 90's, and my nephews used it after me with the same results. Also have a Mossberg 144LSB .22, and a Vickers Empire .22. But theres nothing like the General.

Also notice Earlier in this thread there were some picture links posted, after I joined they went away? Why can't I veiw them now?
    Last edited by Petro_58; 03-14-2010 at 06:34 AM.

All pix. were lost on this sight during the server change over.. Its too bad as well there were many great photos of mc-58's.. Basicly the mc-58 is a modified M-65. The real differance is the move of the safety to the triggerguard like an m1/m14.. As the m50 reising was no longer in use. The marine corp modified these rifle to replicate the m1/m14 rifle...The mc58 had a slightly larger stock and is shaped just like an m1...Other than that there is no real differance. Other than price of course.. M65's can be had any where 100-650 where mc58's seem to start at 1k and go up from there...

a commercial note.. there apears to be a few differant models called the' leather neck' I have a m165. it's basicly a m65 with a different front sight and stock. the rear sight styed the same. The m150 above is also called the 'leather neck' shares the receiver only.. I think this is where they used up the last batch of receivers..

IIRC, there are two H&R Leatherneck models. The Model 150 uses a barrel-mounted rear sight, while the Model 151 uses the Redfield receiver-mounted sight like the Model 65. I always thought the 165s were the ones made from leftover parts and the 150/151 were the new version with the nicer parts (though thinner barrel)

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

my m165 has 'leatherneck' stamped on the barrel. It seems early and has a ramped front sight with a lyman marked blade..F.O. you saw pictures of it as I had it for sale at point on the trader. I have a spare mc-58 stock I was going to drop it in...

Quote Originally Posted by mauser99 View Post
    All pix. were lost on this sight during the server change over.. Its too bad as well there were many great photos of mc-58's.. Basicly the mc-58 is a modified M-65. The real differance is the move of the safety to the triggerguard like an m1/m14.. As the m50 reising was no longer in use. The marine corp modified these rifle to replicate the m1/m14 rifle...The mc58 had a slightly larger stock and is shaped just like an m1...Other than that there is no real differance. Other than price of course.. M65's can be had any where 100-650 where mc58's seem to start at 1k and go up from there...
    I need to go in and repost all the pictures that were lost during the server change. I have them all so will try to do that. I think the software will allow we to edit and add the picutures.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by Petro_58 View Post
    Hello to everyone I'm New to the Group!
    Among other weapons, I have a Model 65-H&R Reising S#58xx No US Government Property Makings or USMC Markings Visible anywhere? Just curious am I missing them or where should they be stamped at? What a wonderful shooter it is. I shot this and won Many of our Local Club shooting matches back in the 80's and early 90's, and my nephews used it after me with the same results. Also have a Mossberg 144LSB .22, and a Vickers Empire .22. But theres nothing like the General.

Also notice Earlier in this thread there were some picture links posted, after I joined they went away? Why can't I veiw them now?
    The H&R Mod 65's that were delivered to the USMC did not have any military markings. I have seen pictures of a few that are marked, but those were apparently added at some point.

Cass

Default I have 8964

Left for me by my dad. Actually was a bag of parts when I found it and put it together without any instructions or drawings (luckily it's not very complicated). Works great and is dead accurate. Took my son out for his first shooting with it yesterday. Got curious about it and found your forum. If you would like any info about it, let me know.

Regards,

Sirk

Quote Originally Posted by sirk View Post
    Left for me by my dad. Actually was a bag of parts when I found it and put it together without any instructions or drawings (luckily it's not very complicated). Works great and is dead accurate. Took my son out for his first shooting with it yesterday. Got curious about it and found your forum. If you would like any info about it, let me know.

Regards,

Sirk
    Sirk:

Yes, I'd like to hear more about it. What markings does it have on the reeiver?

There were two different types of receiver markings on the H&R MC-58 receivers. Both types are different from the earlier WWII era H&R Model 65 Reising trainers.

The two types are:

USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58
    H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED
    HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON, INC.

and:

U.S. MODEL MC-58
    H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED

The earlier WWII trainers were marked:

MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
    WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

Thanks,
    Cass

Sirk:

Yes, I'd like to hear more about it. What markings does it have on the reeiver?

There were two different types of receiver markings on the H&R MC-58 receivers. Both types are different from the earlier WWII era H&R Model 65 Reising trainers.

The two types are:

USMC PROPERTY, MODEL MC-58
    H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED

and:

U.S. MODEL MC-58
    H&R MODEL #65 MODIFIED

The earlier WWII trainers were marked:

MOD. 65 - H.& R. REISING 22 CAL.
    WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A.

Thanks,
    Cass

Cass,

Looks like I have the first one.

Now, further up the barrel, it has another stamp:

USMC Property
    Harrington & Richardson, Inc.
    Worcester, Mass, U.S.A.
    22 Cal Long Rifle Only

Sirk

Sirk:

Thanks for the info! If you ever take any pictures I would enjoy seeing them.

Cass

Just a heads up on some information on the H&R 65 over on rimfirecentral.com. It's in the Military Trainer section.
    There is a post with information about a "letter numbering dating system" by H&R. It states that H&R started stamping the barrel with the letter "A" in 1940 and continued therafter. So my H&R 65 serial # 1964 should be 1943 production date.
    Any comments.

4-16-10 Update. Now the discussion says that the "letter" stamping was added to the serial number. And the author has no idea on the meaning of the "D" stamped on the barrel. Still a a unknown factor.
    Last edited by MK111; 04-16-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Cass and others interested in the MC-58:

Another MC-58 has surfaced. It was sold in the April 28, 2010 Cowan's Auction. The sale price was $1610. Serial number was 8349. Here is a link to the completed auction with a pic. I suspect that this was one of the MC-58s that were sold a few years ago by the CMP.

BTW, has anyone ever turned up an original manual for the MC-58, the TM-ORD-2000? I am still lookng for one.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick

http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sa...p?ItemId=81209

Charlie:

Thanks for the info. That was not one of the CMP sales from 2000 to 2004. I must have been from the DCM, club sales or just leakage.

Thanks,
    Cass

Here are some pictures of a mint unissued MC-58 that was for sale. This was one of the ones sold by auction a few years ago by the CMP. This was actually the first one they sold by auction in 2000 and it brought $2,760.

Cass

Last edited by Cass; 04-20-2011 at 01:28 PM.

I was pointed to this thread over in RimfireCentral, and I thought I would post some pics of my Mod65, as many of the original photos here seem to be lost.
    I picked this one up this past weekend. It is serial # 47xx, and there is a "D" stamped on the barrel at the joint with the receiver. There are no military marks on the stock.

boyt44:

Nice rifle. By the serial number that was definitely one of the WWII USMC rifles. It looks like the original finish that has browned some like many of them do. The parkerizing was a fairly thin finish that browned very easily. If you look under the stock the color is probably more like it would have looked overall. These rifles had no military marking on the stock or metal.

Most of the original pictures in the post were lost when they upgraded the servers here. I have all the pictures on my hard drive but for some reason i can reload them with the posts. I need to start a new thread and get them back as examples.

Cass

I am trying to locate an original Redfield rear sigtht for my Model 65. When I purchased it a couple of years ago. I learned that a previous owner had installed a Mossberg sight where the Redfield sight goes. The Mossberg sight works just fine, but I would rather have an original Redfield sight. Anyone have any sources for an original sight?

Default MC-58 Manual Examples

Quote Originally Posted by ordnanceguy View Post
    BTW, has anyone ever turned up an original manual for the MC-58, the TM-ORD-2000? I am still lookng for one.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick

http://www.cowanauctions.com/past_sa...p?ItemId=81209
    Charlie,

TM-ORD-2000 covers operation, maintenance, and inspection of the MC-58. While I don't have one available to sell, I have one in my personal collection, and it is pictured below for reference.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TM-ORD-2000_Web.JPG 
Views:	22 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	415081
    David Albert Collection

Another MC-58 manual that exists is a Marine Corps Stock List, (SL-4-01423A), which shows and lists all parts for the rifle, along with their procurement stock numbers, for use in repair of the rifle. The example from my collection is pictured below.

Name:	SL-4-01423A_Web.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	415082
    David Albert Collection

David Albert
    [email protected]

I was finally able to restore some of the reference pictures back to the early posts. They had been deleted a year or two ago when the servers at gunboards were upgraded. I was never able to re-upload the pictures on the early posts, so I deleted them and used photobucket instead. I'll add the remaining lost pictures soon.

Thanks,
    Cass

Here are some pictures from a recent auction for one of the sealed CMP auction rifles. This one had never been opened.

A little boring looking at pictures of a box, ha, but pretty amazing to see one unopened since it was shipped in 1959.

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by dalbert View Post
    Charlie,

TM-ORD-2000 covers operation, maintenance, and inspection of the MC-58. While I don't have one available to sell, I have one in my personal collection, and it is pictured below for reference......Another MC-58 manual that exists is a Marine Corps Stock List, (SL-4-01423A), which shows and lists all parts for the rifle, along with their procurement stock numbers, for use in repair of the rifle. The example from my collection is pictured below.

David Albert
    [email protected]
    Hi Dave:

Thanks for posting the pics of the manuals in question. I was not aware of your post here until I got the notification of Cass' posting below. I do have a copy of the Stock List which came with my rifle, but am still looking for the TM-ORD-2000. Your pic is the first one I have seen of this scarce manual. Now at least I know that the Manual does exist and what it looks like. You have a great selection of manuals and other information on your site, something that is helpful to all US martial arms collectors.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick

Here are some pictures from a recent auction for one of the sealed CMP auction rifles. This one had never been opened.

A little boring looking at pictures of a box, ha, but pretty amazing to see one unopened since it was shipped in 1959.

Cass
    Hi Cass:

Thanks for posting these pics and keeping this thread alive. (BTW, I happen to like box pics!) The box shown is exactly like the one that my CMP MC-58 came in. The package even contained a barrel wick. One of these days if I can find the time I will take pics of the entire contents of the package with the rifle and all the doodads that came with it and post them here.

The only thing missing from the package was that darned TM-ORD-2000. Someday I hope to find one of those manuals.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick

Quote Originally Posted by ordnanceguy View Post
    Hi Dave:

Thanks for posting the pics of the manuals in question. I was not aware of your post here until I got the notification of Cass' posting below. I do have a copy of the Stock List which came with my rifle, but am still looking for the TM-ORD-2000. Your pic is the first one I have seen of this scarce manual. Now at least I know that the Manual does exist and what it looks like. You have a great selection of manuals and other information on your site, something that is helpful to all US martial arms collectors.

Regards,
    Charlie Flick
    Charlie,

You are very welcome. The link to the Reising reference page is included below. I recently acquired many paper items from the family of the late Jeff Reising, who was an avid Reising firearm historian, and a relative of Eugene Reising, the designer of the Reising SMG, Reising .22's, and various other firearms. I have posted some of the material on the Reising reference page, and have much more to add when I have the time.

Good luck in your search for TM-ORD-2000. If you would like me to check for some particular information in mine, just let me know.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/foru...showtopic=9688

Thanks!

David Albert
    [email protected]

You provided some amazing resources, its what inspired me to get my on Model 65 and to get my brother-in-law a 150.

A bit off-topic though, what do you know about the Reising .22 pistols of the late 1920s? The research out there is spotty at best and I would love to find about more about these nifty little pistols.

"Brave men tell the truth, a wise man's tools are analogies and puzzles. A woman holds her tongue, knowing silence will speak for her"--Royksopp

Quote Originally Posted by Fushigi Ojisan View Post
    You provided some amazing resources, its what inspired me to get my on Model 65 and to get my brother-in-law a 150.

A bit off-topic though, what do you know about the Reising .22 pistols of the late 1920s? The research out there is spotty at best and I would love to find about more about these nifty little pistols.
    Fushigi Ojisan,

Reising .22 Pistols are the next project I have slated for the Reising reference section. Among the items I acquired from the Jeff Reising estate are several original pamphlets, catalogs, order forms, and other paper items associated with Eugene Reising's namesake company from the 1920's. As best as I can tell, the Reising Arms Company operated from about 1921 to 1929, with the Reising .22 Pistol as their primary product. Early on, the company was based on Broadway in New York City, very close to several other firearm companies, including Auto-Ordnance, and then the company moved to Hartford, CT. The pistols had some variations, including an engraved, deluxe presentation version. Iíve seen 4 different color grips that were available on the pistol, including an ivory color, 2 shades of brown, and black. Eugene Reising worked with John Browning on the M1911 Pistol, and the Reising .22 bears a resemblance to it, with the addition of a unique break-open action. The motto for the company was "It's a Bear," and this motto and theme was molded into the Reising .22 Pistol grips. The Reising competed against the Colt Woodsman.
    More to come on the Reising .22 Pistol...

Name:	ReisingPistol.JPG 
Views:	4 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	423224

David Albert
    [email protected]

David, I look forward to seeing more about the Reising pistols. That is another area where there is a big void in information. Hopefully with Jeff's paperwork you can fill in some of the gaps. The info on the mod 65's and MC-58's has come much the same way, just piecing together information mostly from observation and from a few ads and dates, etc.

Cass

David has already blown bit of conventional wisdom out of the water--that the New York pistols were the later ones (because their SNs have an extra digit or two). They are just such a nifty design and very light--its a shame they are prone to cracking when shot with hotter ammo.

I have a New York model with brown-red grips and surprisingly clean for its age. Can't wait to take it to the range.

Quote Originally Posted by Fushigi Ojisan View Post
    David has already blown bit of conventional wisdom out of the water--that the New York pistols were the later ones (because their SNs have an extra digit or two). They are just such a nifty design and very light--its a shame they are prone to cracking when shot with hotter ammo.

I have a New York model with brown-red grips and surprisingly clean for its age. Can't wait to take it to the range.
    Fushigi Ojisan,

I may need to revise my earlier remarks about the sequence of Reising Arms Company locations. Looks like Hartford is probably the earlier location. I'm digging through the documents right now, and am seeing the Hartford address, two different New York addresses, and a reference to "Works" in Chicopee Falls, MA. I know the pistols were marked with a New York, or a Hartford address. Let me make more sense out of the documents, and I'll post what I find. I made an assumption about New York being first, based on something I remembered, and that recollection may have been in error.

David Albert
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast