Original SKS sniper project.

Thread: Original SKS sniper project.

Default Original SKS sniper project.

I embarked on a massive project a year or so ago. I won a yugo SKS on gunbroker with a unique mount base on its side. I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I though it would be interesting to see if I could complete it. Well since i won the rifle I did about 6 months or so of intelligence gathering and reading. I discovered that the yugo's created and fielded in incredibly small numbers (my sources say 200 or less) Scoped SKS rifles that used a ON-2 mauser scope cammed in 7.62x39. My sources say they were all a little bit different and the hardware made by different arsenals and there were small discrepencies between mounts but the two I have in my possession seem to be identical. The mount base on my rifle appears to be a one of a kind type deal and I will not likely every find a mount for it. These are professionally done and not field made rifles like some of the other yugo's that were imported with various or faked by some importers (looking at you IO inc). After learning what it was i needed I decided to try and find the more common mount to develop a clone and modify it to use the unique base on the rifle pictured. After making contact with some people in the balkans one man said he could help me find one, but it would not be cheap. I promised him a good chunk of money and he said he would see what he could turn up. After a couple of months he finally contacts me and says he found what I was looking for, he would have to travel to get it though. The first ON-2 scope, mount, and hardware cost me 2,678 dollars. I was a bit nervous sending that much to a complete stranger in croatia but no risk no reward and after hearing people have been looking for years upon years for this I went through with the deal. My guy delivered on his end and i got my first unit in a reasonable time frame. After I got it I then decided to use an ON-52 scope on my replica mount and keep the one I bought from croatia whole. Then I realized i needed to find one of the original sks rifles that were imported with the ON-2 Pattern base so I could have an actual original. So i put out adds all over and offered a 100 bounty to whoever could help me out with a successful sale. Someone then put me in touch with Mark Kubes of buymilsurp.com and said he had 3 of them. One complete with the scope and two not. So I reached out to mark and we stuck up a deal where if I could set something up where he could purchase another ON-2 to complete his second rifle he would give me the third to put my ON-2 mount on. So i had my contact in croatia work his magic and he did find another mount for $2800. I called mark and told him the price and he agreed to it and told me to have my guy pick it up. My guy paid for the cost to get it out of his pocket. I had my guy send me pictures of everything in fine detail so I could forward them to mark. I emailed Mark repeatedly with the payment info and pictures of the item and got no response. I tried calling both his shop and personal phone for a week and never got a call back, he pretty much cut contact when it came time to pay. I then find out from his shop help that he said he lost interest because he never heard from my guy, even though it was agreed on that I would be handling the transaction and payment. So then I had to make up the 2800 to pay my guy because mark kubes flaked out. Guess I was to trusting but I ended up having to sell my whole navy arms SKS collection to pay my partner back. So this second scope, mount, and hardware cost me quite a bit but it is in really nice shape so thats nice. I have a deal with another collector who contacted me for two of the original rifles so I will eventually end up with two of the original ON-2 SKS rifles and one that I am doing my best to make a repro mount and scope for. Also came across a yugo refurbed k98 that the yugos drilled and tapped for m76 optics. Will hopefully have that complete next week. Sorry about the wall of text but I just wanted to share my collectors tale.

“Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

Nice stuff.

Here is a tip and request.

Please edit your post and add spaces between thoughts and paragraph brakes.

That 6 inch wall of text is pretty daunting on the eyes.

I forget sentence structure and paragraph when ive got some empties on my table. I will re format it tomorrow haha.
    “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

So now we need targets! (Great scope, by the way.)

I built a replica Yugo sniper using a PSO sidemount scope a few years back and found, of course, what I already knew - they really are about 3 MOA rifles on a good day with decent ammo.

Fun and cool looking for mine with my grenade launcher still on there, but not to a real sniper standard due to the fairly weak cartridge and the reliable but sloppy rifle - mine can ring the 300 yard gong with regularity but wind and bullet drop make it pretty unreliable for any modestly precise accuracy much beyond that. A bit better than my scoped AK but no cigar in the bullseye department!
    Last edited by Stalin's Ghost; 03-24-2017 at 12:19 PM.

I have a clone Bosnian DMR using a ZRAK M89 scope. The scope and the rifle shoot well. With Serbian M67 I can frequently get 2 MOA groups. The ergos and shooting feel is really nice on the 59/66. As good as any PSL I own at shorter distances of 100-200 yards.
    But firearms can differ on accuracy and feel and ergos..

That SKS with the reversed 91/30 type mount is a true Yugo sniper. Yours is probably marked Century Arms as the importer since they brought in around 50 in 2010. There were a variety of field built snipers built during the war but this type, plus one that straddled the receiver cover, are factory built. I have one but am missing the rings and scope.
    SteveK

the yugo ammo is an improvement over the original russian.
    having said that it dies quickly at distance.
    with a 100 yd zero, you drop 26" at 300 yards.
    pretty much a miss if you aim center of mass.

the same round in an ar will do much closer to 1 moa.
    i shoot chinese copper wash, yugo to almost the same point of impact.
    hand loads go right at 1 "

The Zastava SKS is not a sniper designed firearm. Nor were they sorted to any level of performance for use as one., AFAIK. Though the Log Books did reveal the shot groups. Unlike the Mosin Nagant 91/30 which seemed to have been sorted/selected to a higher level of performance for sniper use.

The 7.62 cartridge is also not a long range full power cartridge like the 54r or .308 etc.
    The Serbian M67 ammunition is brass cased,high quality ammunition but not sniper quality.

It seems the Zastava SKS was pressed into service during the Balkan War and possibly other engagements as an expedient DMR type rifle.

They can shoot reasonably well. I have never read any reports of how effectively they were used in the Balkan War or if any training accompanied the riflemen who carried them.

I noticed in Teddy Bear's first photo that his SKS had a normal length recoil pad. Most of the shipment that Century received had the long (2 inch) pad. Is the eye relief OK using the normal pad?
    Is your gun a Century import?
    SteveK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0010.jpg  

DSCF0011.jpg  

DSCF0013.jpg  

the one I have is a century import. The ON-2 scope sits pretty far back on it so part of me wants to believe it was some sort of ON-52 mount or another smaller scope. I dont think I will ever know for sure. All I can tell was that it was professionally made and is stamped number 1. the machining on it matches most yugo machining.

Friedrich Nietzsche

The extra inch and a half of the thick pad would probably solve your problem. I don't know if any are available. The only ones that I 've seen were on the snipers that came in from Serbia.
    SteveK

Quite a story and a very interesting rifle. Sorry to hear a fellow collector flaked out on you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was his loss, just put me in a very uncomfortable position and I will now do everything in my power to see to it that he never completes any of his other rifles in his lifetime...

Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
    The extra inch and a half of the thick pad would probably solve your problem. I don't know if any are available. The only ones that I 've seen were on the snipers that came in from Serbia.
    SteveK
    I am not going to add one because I am pretty sure it never had one originally. I am just going to make an ON-2 copycat style mount to fit the oddball base and use an ON-52. (yugo PU scope).

In other news I got the scope, cover, and mounts for the K98 today, the holes line up but I am going to have to do some serious fitting on the rear base to get everything to clear and sit properly. the holes were drilled slightly off

Friedrich Nietzsche