Star Model B Mag Catch Problem

Thread: Star Model B Mag Catch Problem

Default Star Model B Mag Catch Problem

Hello,

A few guys from the FALFILES.com recomended that I post a question over on this site about a Star Model B that I have. I've been shooting a Star Model B for fun for many years and have had a problem with the mag catch. I think it has just worn out. A few years ago I put a pretty stiff spring in to replace the factory spring and it held up well by holding the mag in place. I think that the mag is probably held in by friction more than the meat on the actual mag catch. I have two mags for the gun. Every time I rack the slide and release the slide, the mag pops out a little out of the mag well. This happens with both mags.

I was looking for a replacement mag catch and found one on APEX's site. Only problem, it doesn't look like the mag catch I have.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/spanish...mbly-used.html

I've heard there is a old and newer version of the model B..apparently I have an older version that uses a different magazine than the newer version according to this site:

http://www.ammoclip.com/S/star_b_super.htm

Anyone know of a STAR pistol site or source for a mag catch like one pictured below. Let me know if info on additional markings or the Serial Number would help as well. Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0217170049.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	139.6 KB 
ID:	2074074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0217171505.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	2074082
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nbhyir.jpg  

About a year ago I got a new mag catch for an SS 380 I had. I got it from gunpartscorp.com for a very reasonable price.

Yes you have the old style mag catch and recessed magazine, the new style looks like a key hole that the catch fits into. I have an old style frame and a few parts but apparently i have used the mag catch elsewhere.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Why are we assuming it's the catch or catch spring and not the slot in the magazine. Have you established the catch is seating properly in the mag slot? It may need to be fitted.

WarPig, "We" are not assuming anything, simply responding to the OP's questions. You bring up a good point about the notch in the mag aligning properly, I personally would have more than one magazine for each of my pistols. I think that is why I cannot understand the manufacturers who are too cheap to include a second mag with purchase.
    The OP indicates he used two different mags and each now fails, however, apparently they have worked for the past few years. To have the notches wear in both mags at the same time would be a bit unusual but wear on the release could cause the problem.
    Without the pistol to examine the best we can do is guess.

Quote Originally Posted by ibmikey View Post
    The OP indicates he used two different mags and each now fails, however, apparently they have worked for the past few years. To have the notches wear in both mags at the same time would be a bit unusual but wear on the release could cause the problem.
    Re-read the post. He's had the gun for many years and has always had the problem. A new spring held both mags in by friction,,,for a time.
    So, again to the OP, are you sure the catch is seating? If so, it's a wore catch. Not a lot happening mechanically in that area to baffle the mind.