Default Thread size on 98k locking screws?

Does anyone know the thread size (metric?) of the locking screws on the locking screws for the 98k?

I have a Danzig 1920's sporter that had a scope mounted on it. The scope was long gone before I bought it but now I have 4 holes in my receiver. I think it would look better if I filled the holes with the correct flush screw. The 98k locking screws fit the threads for the scope mounting screws. Any ideas where I could get some mount (filler) screws of this size?

Here is my original post showing the rifle:
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...339#post554339
    Last edited by Wurger; 11-03-2008 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wurger View Post
    Does anyone know the thread size (metric?) of the locking screws on the locking screws for the 98k?

4mm x .6

Hambone

I'm looking for the size of the locking screws not the action screws. It looks like the dia of the locking screws is about 2.5mm.

My tap (purchased from Brownells) reads 6-40/NF...
    "There is no pleasure in having nothing to do. The fun is having lots to do and not doing it'"

Default locking screws into filler screws

I had to make mine. File the heads off and slot them. They need to be threaded in old triggerguard (Front hole). The blue never matches on new one's so you will have to re-blue the top. Sunfish

Bought some 4mm 70 pitch set screws today at the local hardware store and they are too large in diameter. Looks like about .5mm too large. Only $.45 each so no great loss and now I'm a bit closer to determining the size. I'll try writing Brownells to see what they recommend.

I don't understand what you are needing?
    If you need some "capture" screws, they are quite common and reproductions are also inexpensive.
    I, and no doubt others can provide you with some "real" ones if you need them.
    Again, the size is (as stated above) 6-40/NF... but since the screws themselves are common and you can buy the tap from Brownells, that covers all bases so to speak.
    "There is no pleasure in having nothing to do. The fun is having lots to do and not doing it'"

Quote Originally Posted by chasdev View Post
    Again, the size is (as stated above) 6-40/NF...
    I must respectfully disagree with you on the thread size. #6-40UNF is unified fine and is an inch size (US). It may be close and do a fair job, but the correct thread size for the locking screws on the triggerguard is M3.5x.6 (Metric). The taps can be bought at your local hardware store or even at Sears.
    Last edited by Peter S; 11-09-2008 at 08:53 AM.
    Peter

a Smith & Wesson beats four aces

Thank you Peter. I was earlier repeating what I had been provided by someone else.

Brownells would disagree with you...as do I..
    I can take my "wrong tap" and smoothly, with bare fingers, run it in and out of an undamaged set of capture screw holes which would indicate to me that the threaded hole/s match the tap I bought.
    Perhaps the factory used the wrong taps during manufacturing.

If it works for you...that's great!
    Last edited by Peter S; 11-09-2008 at 11:13 AM.
    Peter

a Smith & Wesson beats four aces

Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    ...the correct thread size for the locking screws on the triggerguard is M3.5x.6 (Metric). The taps can be bought at your local hardware store or even at Sears.
    3.5mm would make sense. Thanks.

I wrote this to Brownells yesterday:

--------------------------------
    Hello

I have a 1920’s Danzig (Mauser) factory sporter. The original German factory scope/mount is no longer with the rifle, as a result there are four screw holes in the receiver ring and two in the receiver bridge. I’d like to locate the appropriate flush fitting ‘plug’ screws to improve the appearance of the rifle and to protect the threads until I can locate an original vintage scope and mount. The thread size (metric) for these holes is the same as those on the Mauser action screw locking screws (319-414-398 M-98 Tiggerguard lock screws). Do you sell a flush fitting plug screw that has the same thread size as the locking screws or could you recommend something else?

Thanks

I'll post their reply when/if I get one.
    Last edited by Wurger; 11-09-2008 at 04:37 PM.

Well I got my answer:

Unfortunately we do not carry any metric plug screws for your rifle. You may have to make them or have them made from an existing screw. Sorry we can't help. Thanks for writing.

Steve Ostrem
    Brownells Technical Support
    www.brownells.com
    Brownells was very quick with an answer but I was hoping that 'the' source for gun-smithing would have what I needed. I'll have to search for a European source for these plug screws. If I had just one screw to make I would have a go at it but with four screws sitting in close proximity I doubt I could make them identical so that it would look better than just the empty holes.
    Last edited by Wurger; 11-12-2008 at 08:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kysunfish View Post
    I had to make mine. File the heads off and slot them. They need to be threaded in old triggerguard (Front hole). The blue never matches on new one's so you will have to re-blue the top. Sunfish
    horse to water.... horse to water............

Quote Originally Posted by hannah View Post
    horse to water.... horse to water............

Granted………but I still don’t want it to look like a poorly done shop project…..Sometimes the water is brackish and unfit to drink.