Refurbished Mauser Sniper with added markings.

Thread: Refurbished Mauser Sniper with added markings.

Default Refurbished Mauser Sniper with added markings.

Just wanting to get a survey on what collectors think of this type of work, I'll reserve my comments, as momma said if you ain't got nothin good to say, don't.
    Is it ok to reproduce period markings on rifles that never had them?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3sIWXtmLzA&t=4s

Nope......
    ***ASK ME HOW TO "ACCURIZE" YOUR MOSIN OR MAUSER AND MAKE IT MORE ACCURATE***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) AND "IGOR" PEM MOUNTS***
    ***LOOKING FOR "DMITRY" (Feldscher) DYNAMO "D2" GECO BASE, MOUNT, AND SCOPE***
    ***LOOKING FOR PE AND PEM SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR ZF-39 ZEISS 4X ZIELVIER SCOPES***
    ***LOOKING FOR RUSSIAN CAPTURE K-98'S (43-44 BNZ AND CE 44)***
    ***LOOKING FOR COMPLETE DOUBLE CLAW OBJECTIVE MOUNT ZEISS/HENSOLDT SETS***

Northwest Ohio, about five miles from Lake Erie

I don't need to watch a 1 hour-plus video to say no. Mitchells probably would hire this guy.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Absolutely not.

No, no, no and no.
    Allt du egentligen behöver i livet är en bra kvinnor, en trofast hund och en fin gammal Mauser.

Tony Callender comes to mind
    “Beware that, when fighting monsters, you yourself do not become a monster... for when you gaze long into the abyss. The abyss gazes also into you.”

Friedrich Nietzsche

I watched most of it, I hope nobody tells him what he is doing wrong, other than the whole thing that is..a few corrections to placement and size of fake markings would perhaps fool a newby.
    I'm thankful he's a total dummy with the extra markings they never had in the first place.

Cereal box Kommiefornia: Fruits, nuts and flakes

In VERY rare cases, there MAY be an excuse for welding up imperfections that are not part of the rifle's provenance but the results of neglect and/or stupidity (peep sight mounting holes etc.) in order to restore the rifle's dignity, but how can it be legally OK to alter the serial number on the receiver?

I didn't watch the video but altering the serial number is an absolute legal no no. According to ATF, even relocating while maintaining the same serial number is verboten. Nothing like providing video evidence of your own criminal activity to aid in your prosecution...

I'm not in the leagues of you mauser experts here. Next also to say I too condensed the video into a few minutes. .Yet I wonder: With as labor intensive as this work, even with product deception... A. Could he end up with a profit on a gun obviously (residual pitting) refurbed? For an effort to make a deceptive piece, wouldn't it be far more practical to begin with a considerably nicer specimen?
    I wonder if this project wasn't primarily a public demonstration of skills and perhaps a labor of love. Of course, some dump crooks who even video their work. I don't see the video guy in that category. Any profile info?
    A very non-expert...
    My take

Nein,nein,nein,nein!!!

I have an RC that was redone into a sniper but nothing like that, the RC part of it is still intact and no numbers were altered.

HDH.

NO!

Quote Originally Posted by the gman View Post
    I didn't watch the video but altering the serial number is an absolute legal no no. According to ATF, even relocating while maintaining the same serial number is verboten. Nothing like providing video evidence of your own criminal activity to aid in your prosecution...
    He's in Canada so the ATF is not an issue, but i don't know what Canadian laws are regarding that
    As of 9/17/2011 new member of the 98k Sniper Club, bcd 45 lsr
    11/2/12 SSZZA4 bnz 43 #8301 added to the family
    1/2/13 Joined the Classic Arms 91/30 PU family

Bitterly clinging to my guns and religion since 11/6/2012

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

[QUOTE=the gman;6561282]I didn't watch the video but altering the serial number is an absolute legal no no. According to ATF, even relocating while maintaining the same serial number is verboten. Nothing like providing video evidence of your own criminal activity to aid in your prosecution... [/QUOT

In my prior Post here, not picking up on any “relocated serial number” in plan or execution.

In wider context, the above stated situation concerning ATF administered laws and relocating serial numbers seems absolute sense given the intent of GCA ’68. First is the matter of apparently clear law concerning serial number “Obliteration” as an illegal act.

Next the matter of even faithfully relocating the original number also seeming logically prohibited. Many firearms dealers, seasoned collectors, etc., well familiar with serial locations, fonts, special characters, etc. Placement in any other location suggesting a definite tilt, automatically calling the serial number itself into question. More than a bad idea, illegality seeming a legitimate application of the referenced GCA’68 law.

All said: Nothing here constituting legal advice or to be taken as such. Simply conjecture and within that context...
    My take

That video's product is what is called locally

"Pimp shined"

There should be a series: "Pimp My Rifle". Could be done to a MTV like soundtrack with lots of character conflict/ artificial drama.

Oh.......wait that was already done with the gun morons down in Louisiana, the one where the owner turned out to be a child molester.

Seriously, the real issue is not folks pimp-shining guns, as that is easy to detect. The more significant issue is the many restorations done fairly carefully by collectors, that decades later are very hard to distinguish from the real thing. Here in PA you run across a lot more of those, and I have ended up with a number of them (my bad), none of which brought that much when I finally decided to get rid of them, if you sell them honestly. I am sure any number of folks sell them through dealers which eliminate the trail.