Gunboards Forums banner

looked at a old lefever double barrel DS grade last night.

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Will M 
#1 ·
a friend brought this old 12ga lefever 12ga last night for me to look at. 12ga with two triggers, extractors, 30 "steel barrels with ex bores and in over all very good condition serial number 671xx. i have a chance to buy it, any guess as to what its worth? eastbank.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks to have been taken care of and used with pride....cleaning and carfull use!
Lots of case left adds to value.
inside barrels I would have to see, the condition?
Chamber lengths measure Do?
Ware in locking leavers...being a little to right while locked is usual.
Markings under barrel have not been looked up?
Wood excellent figure, no cracks, dents to barrels or rust pits inside?

All this being said...and answered by your observations...
$600 to $675 in trade about the plus minus $50 cash $575 to $600.
In my next of the woods...owned more than a few some we restored saved...some in near that shown condition!
Not in my hands or researched I could be off $100 plus or minus .><> Dan

Ps: just found this checking,my figures later? http://www.thecobbs.com/auction-2011-10-16-lot-526.html

#4 ·
Most welcome my learned friend....at that price I would have jumped with that trade.

Now that being said before shooting:
check behind false locks plates for cracks, soft wood oil induced over its life.
A common thing in hard used guns of that design, era...l this one not looking as such "BUT," easy fixed before hard use.
Learned working with my smith friend before he passed!
><> Dan

#5 ·
hi dan, the wood work is good and solid and the barrels(steel) are tight on face with next ex bores with 2-3/4" chambers. as i load shotgun shells, i,ll load low pressure shells with one oz #6,s at 1050 fps.i use that load in several other older steel barreled shotgun. it will not be hunted to hard, maybe 6-8 shots a year at small game. eastbank.

#6 ·
Not that "old" as its likely an early 20th Century gun. Lefever Arms was sold to Ithaca in 1916. It should handle any non magnum or maximum loads.

#7 ·
i agree, its just that parts are as hard to find as hens teeth and made of gold it seems. and i just use the one oz #6,s for rabbits. for heavy loads for ringnecks,1-1/2 oz #5,s i use my browning 12ga upland special. i have several box,s of old winchester paper shells and shoot several each years just to smell the smoke, it takes me back 60 years when hunting with my grandfather. eastbank.

#8 ·
Unless its a very common make a gunsmith will usually make parts for these vintage shotguns instead of trying to find them. Usually they need fitting anyway.

#9 ·
Looks the same as my grandfathers Lafever shotgun. I've used it for grouse for many years. When I was young I dry fired it a few times only to have the tip of a firing pin make a tinkling noise while going down the barrel. These are fairly easy firing pins to reproduce as I found out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.