Phoenix, AZ military bolt shooting group?

Thread: Phoenix, AZ military bolt shooting group?

Default Phoenix, AZ military bolt shooting group?

Looking to learn as much as possible about competition shooting, or a group that happens to shoot vintage bolt rifles to test accuracy. I'm very inexperienced, and would love some pointers to up my accuracy, as I would love to eventually get into competition shooting. Was wondering if there was such a group in Phoenix area that has meets, maybe a field day for vintage bolt rifles, (peticularlly ww1-ww2 u.s.)

thank you for any responses.

Tanner

Well if no one has one or can think of one, is there anyone in the Phoenix area that would like to help to start one?

Check with Phoenix Rod and Gun Club, or better yet, Rio Salado. About 15 or more years ago I went to a shoot at Rio Salado for an"Obsolete Rifles" match. It was bolt action competition for military rifles, as I recall, over 60 years old. Amidst the field of really nice old rifles, many Swedish Mausers, was my ratty 98/22 Mauser - it's the ugliest rifle I own, but the bore is pristine. Out of about 78 shooters, I came in at 74th. Of course I was shooting 1939 Turkish ammo & had never fired beyond 200 yards, so didn't do much more than hit paper beyond 200 yards.

Looked around to see if I had any contacts from that old event, but found nothing.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I am surprised the Ben Avery Range does not have a club that does it considering the CMP has a big event out there in the fall.

Patrick
    Co-Author of the book:
    Banzai Special Project No. 1, The Siamese Mauser, A Study Of Siamese / Thai Type 45 & Type 46 Long Rifles and Type 47 Carbines, Including An Overview Of Siamese/Thai Weapons 1860–2014

If they do have something, I can't find any information on it. Range masters are very helpful, but want to get into a group. I was a ww2 reenactor for quite some time, but the group has since disbanded, and has been for years. I will try rio salado out though, I've heard some complains about rod and gun.

The Americans fight for a free world, the English mostly for honor and glory and medals, the French and Canadians decide too late that they have to participate. The Italians are too scared to fight; the Russians have no choice. The Germans for the Fatherland. The Boers? Those sons of bitches fight for the hell of it!” - American General, George “Guts and Glory” Patton

Quote Originally Posted by Planejumper View Post
    If they do have something, I can't find any information on it. Range masters are very helpful, but want to get into a group. I was a ww2 reenactor for quite some time, but the group has since disbanded, and has been for years. I will try rio salado out though, I've heard some complains about rod and gun.

What complaints? I've been shooting there for over 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by AZshooter View Post
    What complaints? I've been shooting there for over 15 years.
    Different reviews of something to do when different management took over. Just what I've read, don't know anyone personally that goes there. I was womdsring if they had any validity, but since you've been there so long, and never had a problem, then I'm more than willing to give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Planejumper View Post
    Different reviews of something to do when different management took over. Just what I've read, don't know anyone personally that goes there. I was womdsring if they had any validity, but since you've been there so long, and never had a problem, then I'm more than willing to give it a go.
    I suppose if you want to become immersed in the governing politics & jockying for positions by the various shooting segments, you'd be sometimes put off. But it's that way in any organization,club or office business. I was President of my HOA for about 15 years & found out early on that, as long as people aren't picked on, hollered at, unduly fined or otherwise behave themselves, only the very few having specific agendas, can all get along. Those who don't, either are corrected, voted out of office or are ignored into obscurity.

I punch in my gate code, I drive over to what on weekends is the Public Range & set up a couple of targets, then shoot until I'm out of either ammo or powder, balls & flint. I pack up & go home. I don't pay much attention to the ruling politics, which never has affected my shooting routine. I actually met Bill Poole back when he was the Board President, but can't for the life of me recall what he looks like today ...

The so called Public Range is great if you want to shoot both rifle and pistol and don't want to have to set up at 2 separate ranges to do it. My Dad was a member of a range in Oro Valley that had 2 separate ranges - 1 for rifle and 1 for pistol. God help you if you wanted to shoot both from a single position. PRGC doesn't have that problem.

When you go shoot on weekdays, you may encounter a couple of other members, but everyone is common sense and safe. Never had any disagreements or squabbles with anyone. The pistol range is snootier, since you have to be a serious and disciplined shooter to use it, but I no longer have the discipline to fit in there - maybe someday after I retire ...

Long ago, I had membership at Rio Salado & the rangemasters were always intrusive, but I was usually too busy working up loads, or busting bottlecaps on a board out at 200 yards with a favorite rifle. Since then, I've "heard stories" about the rangemasters being a little too strict there, but again, they're just stories.