Default Range Report: Taurus 605, .357 Mag, 24 ozs, 2 in barrel

Range Report: Taurus 605, .357 Mag, 24 ozs, 2 in barrel

Photo A is the first time I ever shot it - supported. Put 38 Specials through it. Shot from 10 yards. 38's were nice.

Photo B is the first time I shot .357 through it - supported. Same distance. the flier at 5 o'clock was due to the target swinging left and right on the cable mechanism. Shot good, but those .357's rocked me. Can't imagine shooting .357 in a SW Chief which weighs in at 12 ozs - man that would have to hurt.

Photo C is at 7 yds, using just right hand, unsupported - rapid fire (about as fast as I could pull the trigger. 38s

Photo D is at 7 yds, using just right hand, unsupported - but slowed down and fired 5 times. 4 bullets in the center ring. .357s. Put 2 bullets through same hole (at about 11 o'clock)

Photo E is at 10 yds, using just right hand, unsupported - rapid fire (about as fast as I could pull the trigger. .357s

In all, I put 50 38's through it and 100 .357s. Should have been the other way around. The 38's are a pleasure to shoot. The .357s make you pay.

All in all, I am very pleased with my new addition. The gun shoots better than me. I have even ordered a Crimson Trace LG-185 laser for it.

All but maybe 3 - 4 bullets hit the black. I stick my Shoot-N-See targets on cardboard that has been used by others. That explains the multitude of bullet holes way off outside the black - I ain't that bad a shot.

Hack
    Last edited by bltefft; 11-05-2008 at 10:40 PM.

Not bad shooting with a 2" Hack. Seems it prefers the 357 loads. Which were you shooting in both calibers? 158gr., 125gr.? If I were you I would practice mostly with 38's, shooting at least 10 to 20 rounds of 357 with every range visit, if that is what you will carry. You won't beat up the gun with 38's and it will keep you familiar with the blast and recoil of the 357.
    A steady diet of 38Spl.+P's will never harm the 605 either. But a little more expensive than 38's for practice and target shooting.
    Glad your happy with your purchase.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by armyrat1970 View Post
    Not bad shooting with a 2" Hack. Seems it prefers the 357 loads. Which were you shooting in both calibers? 158gr., 125gr.? If I were you I would practice mostly with 38's, shooting at least 10 to 20 rounds of 357 with every range visit, if that is what you will carry. You won't beat up the gun with 38's and it will keep you familiar with the blast and recoil of the 357.
    A steady diet of 38Spl.+P's will never harm the 605 either. But a little more expensive than 38's for practice and target shooting.
    Glad your happy with your purchase.
    At first, I was shooting 158 gr in both 38 Spl (Magtech) and .357 (Blazer). Then I got some Fiochii .357 in 147 gr - that's what I ended the shooting session with. As far as recoil, I couldn't tell the difference between the 158 gr .357 Blazers and the 147 gr Fiochii .357s - both rocked me. I fully agree, lay off the .357 and shoot mainly .38s. Those 38s shot sweet.

In fact, I just ordered the shell plate and dies to reload the .357 cases on my Hornady Lock N Load press. But, I'm going to work up a recipe to produce 38s in the .357 cases. Got to look for the powder that most fills the case, if you know what I mean.

Hack

Quote Originally Posted by bltefft View Post
    At first, I was shooting 158 gr in both 38 Spl (Magtech) and .357 (Blazer). Then I got some Fiochii .357 in 147 gr - that's what I ended the shooting session with. As far as recoil, I couldn't tell the difference between the 158 gr .357 Blazers and the 147 gr Fiochii .357s - both rocked me. I fully agree, lay off the .357 and shoot mainly .38s. Those 38s shot sweet.

In fact, I just ordered the shell plate and dies to reload the .357 cases on my Hornady Lock N Load press. But, I'm going to work up a recipe to produce 38s in the .357 cases. Got to look for the powder that most fills the case, if you know what I mean.

Hack
    You can hardly tell any difference between the 125 and 158gr. 357 loads also. They both have a little punch. Even more so through a 2" barrel.
    Also remember to clean your cylinder well after shooting alot of 38's through a 357. The 38 is much shorter and will leave a powder residue around the case mouth. If not cleaned properly it could result in a build-up of residue and not allow you to chamber the 357 cartridge. And the longer you don't clean, the harder to clean.
    It may be hard to work up such a load from the 357 case. Remember, the 357 has a greater case capacity than the 38. I don't know if you can find a powder that will fill the case and give 38 pressures, recoil and velocity. Seems it would be the reverse. If you want a milder load using 357 cases, why not just start with the start loads given in any good manual? JMT. Many different powders offer lower pressure start loads than fullhouse factory loads. Velocity and recoil would be somewhat higher than 38spl+p but lower pressures, recoil and velocity than fullhouse 357. Most 357 factory seem to be between start and max loads in handloading manuals.
    Why not post this as a question on the Reloading Handloading Digest Forum. Many there have extensive experience, much more than I, in handloading and will let you know if it will be possible. And if so they may have already done it and give you some advice as to how.
    Last edited by armyrat1970; 11-07-2008 at 04:59 AM.
    If a man has nothing greater to believe in than himself, he is a very lonely man.

I reckon so. I guess we all died a little in that damn war.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by MEJ1990TM View Post
    Well, all right. Maybe just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by armyrat1970 View Post
    You can hardly tell any difference between the 125 and 158gr. 357 loads also. They both have a little punch. Even more so through a 2" barrel.
    Also remember to clean your cylinder well after shooting alot of 38's through a 357. The 38 is much shorter and will leave a powder residue around the case mouth. If not cleaned properly it could result in a build-up of residue and not allow you to chamber the 357 cartridge. And the longer you don't clean, the harder to clean.
    It may be hard to work up such a load from the 357 case. Remember, the 357 has a greater case capacity than the 38. I don't know if you can find a powder that will fill the case and give 38 pressures, recoil and velocity. Seems it would be the reverse. If you want a milder load using 357 cases, why not just start with the start loads given in any good manual? JMT. Many different powders offer lower pressure start loads than fullhouse factory loads. Velocity and recoil would be somewhat higher than 38spl+p but lower pressures, recoil and velocity than fullhouse 357. Most 357 factory seem to be between start and max loads in handloading manuals.
    Why not post this as a question on the Reloading Handloading Digest Forum. Many there have extensive experience, much more than I, in handloading and will let you know if it will be possible. And if so they may have already done it and give you some advice as to how.
    I don't want to duplicate in 38 load in a .357 case. What I plan to do is come up with a recipe that is way over 38 Spl and just under minimum for a real .357 load.

I've been told by many to be sure the use a powder that best fills the case. In other words, if two powders look good and one calls for 12.2 and the other calls for 8.5, then I should use the one for 12.2 - it fills more of the case.

And I will check the Forum you mentioned. Have never paid them a visit.

Hack
    Last edited by bltefft; 11-07-2008 at 08:38 AM.