Rear Turret Mount Shim For Dovetail

Thread: Rear Turret Mount Shim For Dovetail

Default Rear Turret Mount Shim For Dovetail

I'm shooting a K98 with Accumount high turret mounts for a vintage Weaver K4 scope and am really impressed with the quality and function of that fine piece of gear. I am ,however, stumped by how to properly install the shim for the rear dovetail. I recently shot a local match with it and noticed, through the hole through the the base, that the screw holding the shim to the rear mount base dovetail was working loose. That shim was tricky to get the mount assembled in the first place. If screwed tightly into place the upper part of the mount will not slide onto the dovetail. The screw must be slightly loose for it to slide on and install correctly. If screwed down tightly (maybe locktite, too) after the top is on the dovetail then doesn't that lock the upper part of the mount to the lower part not allowing the scope to be swiveled forward on the turret to be removed?
    Trying to contact AccuMounts with questions has been a waste of time and I've not found any instructions for installation and use of a high turret mount. Can anyone here give me any info about correct installation of this shim?
    Thank you.

That shim , as you call it is really a spring to hold the rear mount down on the rear base. The germans ground the loaded side of the spring with a slight bevel to alow the rear base to start sliding over it. It does have to be screwd down tightly so that it does not shoot loose.

Great info. I would have never thought that "shim" to be a flat spring. Mine hasn't any curvature and I can't see how it would exert any spring pressure from the base, where it's screwed down, to the upper piece (the mount). Just like you mentioned above, the mount is making contact with the edge of the screwed down flat spring preventing it from sliding onto the dovetail completely. I'll do like the Germans and put a slight bevel on it. Even without it there is very little play between the base and mount..barely perceptible moving the rear of the scope up and down with the thump latch unlocked. With the latch locked there is no perceptible movement without that spring.

I'm familiar with Redfield Jr mounts which have a similar system of a rotating front and windage adjustable rear and that mount doesn't have such a spring. Also thinking about all the tiny set screw to hold the larger stop screw on the right rear mount makes me thing those Germans maybe over engineered these turret mounts. That's probably why I like it so much. It's a very cool piece of gear.

Thank you very much for that information and if you have any links to more info about installation/operation of the turret mount please let me know.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

dgill120 got me on the right track with the info about flat spring and bevel and I was able to get it correctly installed, screwed down tightly into the mount base. The problem was that the bottom edge of the dovetail in the upper mount would make hard contact with the sharp square edge of the flat spring/shim and stop the mount short of alignment against the stop screw. A few minutes with a jewelers file beveling the bottom edge that first makes contact with the upper mount dovetail allowed for full travel against the stop screw.
    I'm still searching for more information about installation and operation of these turret mounts (arcane art of installation of vintage Weaver side mounts (like shimming for initial windage), too