Gunboards Forums banner

Soviet AK ??s

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Boris Badinov 
#1 ·
Hey guys. I'm not new to gunboards or old guns. I'm usually over in the K98 mauser or Lee Enfield forum. But I know next to nothing about AKs and was wondering why there are so few Soviet/Russian AKs here in the states?

#4 ·
There was a voluntary treaty signed after the Soviet collapse by the Clinton people, the Russians agreed to a long list of specific weapons to be banned from import and our gun control activists all patted themselves on the back about the flood of military weapons they were keeping off the streets. That's why all the Mosins as well as SKS and AK type guns you see actually come out of the Ukraine or Eastern Europe. Some used to come from China but those got banned from import on a mid nineties Clinton executive order.

#5 ·
The VRA (Voluntary Restraint Agreement) is actually written on what can be imported vs those restricted from import.

For example.,the Mosin Nagant and Nagant pistol are specifically named as importable.

http://tcc.export.gov/Trade_Agreements/All_Trade_Agreements/exp_005371.asp

The Russian AKM47/M/74 and SKS and SVT and SVD are not on the list and are not importable. Exceptions have been granted for firearms or parts that were certified as domicile in another country for a period of 5 years etc. Some AKM parts kits came in as "Bulgarian" but are Russian in reality., but met the domicile criteria.. Of course AK47's etc., cannot be imported as assembled firearms as they are Title II full auto firearms in any case. R-Guns sells the Bulgarian/Russian AKM parts kits. They are $750+ without a barrel or receiver.

The 2005 "barrel ban" also impacts/restricts all formerly full auto firearm barrels from import.

#22 ·
IIRC
the ban was in 89, and signed by Bush I,

affected Valmet, Galil, HK some chinese stuff and many others,
then the clinton business killed off importation of some of the rest (like the 1911;s etc)
The VRA (Voluntary Restraint Agreement) regarding import of Russian firearms and parts and munitions was signed in 1996. It restricts parts kits as well as certain weapons by exclusion. Only named firearms, parts or munitions are importable.

There is/was a import of Russian AKM, AK74 and Krink kits under the "domicile" country ATF regulations about 5 years ago. They were imported as Bulgarian.
These kits can be built to be some of the best visual clones of a Russian AK as they can be built on USA receivers without the import receiver scrawl and proper selector markings etc. Along with the PLO kits they are among the few Russian milspec kits/parts available.
The Vepr and Saiga sporting imports can be reworked as well.

#11 ·
The VPER rifle is an AK rifle made in the Ukraine.
It's pretty much a straight AK design, often with upgrades like various folding stocks and often made as a bullpup.

Of the available AK pattern rifles, the best are sold by Atlantic, Arsenal, and K-Var. Some of these are built as sporting rifles in former Soviet countries, then altered to full military format here in the USA.
Some of the best of the import AK's are the Bulgarian rifles.
Supposedly, in an interview Kalashnikov was asked other then his own Russian factory AK's, who made the best AK rifles, and he said the Bulgarians made the best.

The low end rifles are the Romanian rifles, usually having a poor finish and some possible problems caused by poorly done conversion from single stack receivers to double stack once inside the US.
However, even a cheap AK can be an excellent shooter.
Usually the higher priced rifles will have better fit and finish, and "may" be a little more accurate.

The Russians gave AK manufacturing capability to many countries, and established AK plants in many of their own Soviet era republics. All most all of these factories made AK variants to close Russian specs, and often, like the Bulgarians, the Russians sent them finished parts for assembly.
So, most any AK rifle will be made to Russian specs, but like the Romanians, may not be made to Russian standards of fit and finish.

The AK rifle was designed and built to do two things:
1. Hit a man in the general chest area at 300 meters and under.
2. Fire each and every time the trigger is pulled.

Unless flatly defective they all pretty well meet that standard.
Buy a higher end rifle and you won't be dissatisfied.

http://www.k-var.com/shop/

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/

http://www.arsenalinc.com/

#16 ·
The Molot Vepr Standard

These are our Vepr series semi-automatic rifles from the world famous Molot factory in Russia. Built on the same standard as the military RPK, Vepr is 50% more reinforced than a standard, stamped AK rifle. Each rifle has been manufactured using state of the art technology, effectively creating a heavier duty piece that will last through not just a lifetime but for many generations to come. The RPK-style barrels are hammer forged and chrome lined using techniques that make them four to five times stronger than a standard AK barrel, giving the Vepr rifles substantially extended service life over AK type rifles.

Each rifle comes with high quality, beautifully crafted walnut furniture as well as a rear sight with adjustable windage. They are shipped with magazines, a cleaning rod, and a cleaning kit.

Extremely limited quantities in stock! You can get these premium AK variant series at these low, introductory prices!

http://www.k-var.com/shop/Vepr-rifles

Vepr has always been a Russian made rifle

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#17 ·
Sorry, did a fast search yesterday for VEPR and came up with a page that listed the Ukraine.
Seems that page was talking about a VEPR bullpup rifle and I didn't notice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vepr

The Romanian COMMERCIAL SALES RIFLES AS IMPORTED INTO THE USA are well known for not having great quality.
I didn't compare the WASR to the various American made AK rifles, a comparison to USA build rifles was not the subject of the original post.

#18 ·
The Romanian COMMERCIAL SALES RIFLES AS IMPORTED INTO THE USA are well known for not having great quality.
I didn't compare the WASR to the various American made AK rifles, a comparison to USA build rifles was not the subject of the original post.
Their quality is fine. As a rifle they're reliable and function well. The finish is something I don't now nor ever had considered. If it doesn't directly effect function it's not something I worry about. The occasional canted sights are typically fixable with a simple sight in. And they aren't the only ones. I have a Arsenal SBR thats so canted it may as well be upside down. And this is on a $1300 rifle. The mag well problem is made here and has nothing to do with Romanian quality. This is the importer's refusal to pay a few bucks more and have it properly done

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
The closest you can come to a real Russian Kalashnikov is a Saiga, made side by side at Izhevsk on the same machinery as the full-auto AKs. Same quality and reliability.

These can't be imported now, either, but came in a "sporter" stock to avoid military weapon import reg problems. They are frequently converted to an AK-style stock. Mine is "sporter" to avoid being classed by Kalifornia as a dreaded "assault rifle." (The non-evil sporter rear stock makes it safe and non-assault.)

Mine, bought new back in the day, is my true SHTF rifle, having never jammed or failed to eat any ammo I feed it in years of range time.

You can find Saigas with a short or long barrel on auction sites, but not at the $325 I paid back in the day.

And yes, VEPRs are 100% Russian and are also great rifles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.