Old war time Carcano pics

Thread: Old war time Carcano pics

Default Old war time Carcano pics

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Instagator; 04-03-2017 at 03:12 PM.

The female Carb and GdF definitely are not "old wartime"....

Interesting. Thanks for posting.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ArianoKid View Post
    The female Carb and GdF definitely are not "old wartime"....
    That 1 slipped in

The Italian seem to be adept at finding exceptionally attractive females in the military and use them in nicely staged photos. A lot more effective than the standard recruiting poster.Attachment 2110578 Attached is another example.... Ralph

the guy that took a round in line with his right has got to be the luckiest guy in the world!!! what is the chance of it hitting in that spot!!!?

Default WW2 Italian Partisan fighter with Carcano carbine

Italian Partisan looks like he removed the folding bayonet on his carbine?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails italian partisan.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by BOLO View Post
    Italian Parisian looks like he removed the folding bayonet on his carbine?
    No, the bayonet is in place. That's the top side of the bayonet (in the closed position) visible in the photo.
    Purists of the world, unite!

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”
    Samuel Adams

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Richard in NY* View Post
    No, the bayonet is in place. That's the top side of the bayonet (in the closed position) visible in the photo.
    Oh, OK thats why it looks like that since it's the backside
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails carcano bayo.jpg  

Here are some from the German side of things-
    Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tumblr_lujwkfucdP1qk6uvyo1_1280.jpg  

IMG_4336.JPG  

4c13fa0fb31a25232aab3ed9ef03c157_article.jpg  

erich-priebke-fosse-ardeatine-9-770x689.jpg  

Mannlicher-Carcano.jpg  

athene-6os2l87v4iofg34dc5u_layout.jpg  

athene-6os2le8l0rsf0iofc5u_layout.jpg  

athene-5am9rh2kqhkc2izqezd_layout.jpg  

athene-55ifn04kt0w154k966ie_layout.jpg  

Germans w-Carcanos.jpg  

For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

Good pics, Pat! Top one appears to be Volkssturm = very old & very young guys waiting for Zhukov's T-34s to come clattering their way.

The remainder appear to be from anti-partisan operations in the Balkans. SW
    Of all the things I ever lost, I miss my mind the most.

Pics 2 and 3 are in Rome, after the V. Rasella attack.
    Last two show the disarmament of Italian troops after the 8th September armistice.

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    Good pics, Pat! Top one appears to be Volkssturm = very old & very young guys waiting for Zhukov's T-34s to come clattering their way.

The remainder appear to be from anti-partisan operations in the Balkans. SW
    Thank you, Sir! Correct, the first two very small ones are from what is thought to be Bosnia in 1944. They're part of a series in which M41's figure very prominently. Some of the others are supposed to be from northern Italy.

Quote Originally Posted by kanister View Post
    Pics 2 and 3 are in Rome, after the V. Rasella attack.
    Last two show the disarmament of Italian troops after the 8th September armistice.
    Hi kannister,
    Also correct. These were taken during the prelude to the Fosse Ardeatine massacre/murders. Like the photos from Bosnia, these also show M41's in use. The two showing disarmament are from the German take-over of the Greek island of Leros. Most sources appear to agree on 400,000 Italian rifles/carbines being seized by the Germans in September 1943, but I wonder if this only included those taken in peninsular Italy, and not in Yugoslavia, Greece and the Greek islands?

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

I'm looking for pre-war Yugoslav Mauser bolt number 36455. If you have it, let me know! I'll pay a finder's fee on top of the selling price.

Quote Originally Posted by Instagator View Post

Photo 1: Abyssinia, 1935-36; Long M91s, Soldiers carrying ammo boxes for ?Breda M30 or ?Revelli M1914?

Photo 2: WW I, three Bersaglieri carrying early Issue M91TS, one with straight bolt handle (Very early). Earlier Vetterli type sling (wide)

Photo 3: Late 1930s, early WW II: Trucks belong to "Artillery of Army Corps", 2nd Battery; Soldiers either MVSN or Artillerymen. Film "LUCE": newsreel.

Photo 4: Bersaglieri in Ceremonial dress, Boots and Zouave trousers of WW I or Early 20s.

Photo 5: Probably Bersaglieri ( 8th Regiment), North Africa. Note Italian solar/tropical topee (Better than the British one), m91Cav Carbines, light tropical dress. 1941-42.

Photo 6: Modern ( 1990s onwards) Guard duty, Important Gov't Building ( probably in Rome) Full Dress Carabiniera, being relieved by Full dressed Guardia di Finanza (Both Female) Italian Forces abandoned Conscription in the Mid 1990s, and went Gender Neutral & Volunteer/Career Service for all rank.

Photo 7: German ?Volksturm? or Volksgrenadiers, Late War (44-45.

Photo 8: Infantry, Standard Kit and uniform, 1940, Long M91s,l Vetterli type wide sling.

Photo 9: Alpini with ammunition Pack Mules WW II...could be anywhere ( Italy, Albania, Greece, Nth Africa, Russia).

Photo 10: Probably Russian Front, M38 (6,5)-- FC or TS? Breda Ammo Box (M37 MG) on Back.

Photo 11; Women's Auxiliary, RSI, 1945, at Training...many of these young Girls were executed by the Communists in April 45 at war's end.

Great collection of Photos.

Here are two more that might be of interest...

The first is of a store room of captured weapons in Germany. Note the very obvious profile of Moschettos among the rest.

The second is from a page in a German soldier's Soldbuch, the personal information booklet that recorded (among many other things) equipment assigned. Look at the third to last line. This and the lines above and below it record rifles assigned to the bearer, and an Italian rifle chambered in 6.5 mm is noted. The owner of this Soldbuch informed me that the service member in question was assigned to a Luftwaffe flak unit.

There are German depot stamped Carcanos, German numbered Carcanos and a number of photos of them in German use, but it's kind of neat to have such a personalized record memorialized in this way.

Best,
    Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11sdst3.jpg  

Luft Flak 6.jpg  

For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

That soldbuch entry is cool Poot. Can Steve and I use it in the book?
    Best, Russ

Arditi,
    PM sent-
    Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

I had to concentrate to see the bayonet.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carcano in Africa.jpg  

"It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Nick,
    Want to know how I know you read too much National Geographic as a kid...?
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

WHAT BAYONET???? I don't see a bayonet?

WOW!! she could crawl into my fox hole any time!.

Quote Originally Posted by toot View Post
    WHAT BAYONET???? I don't see a bayonet?
    Here - it's a Carcano and the bayonet is clearly visible this time
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carcano 44-67 - 1.jpg  

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Here's a similar pic of an Italian soldato's 'friend' on his Moto Guzzi somewhere in Abyssinia in the 1930s. SW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000.book3.jpg  

WOW!! that is a great MOTO GUZZI. worth some serious scheckles today!

NICK, thanks for posting. I see it this time. BTW, that is a nice pair. what model and date is it?

Apologies for hijacking the thread...

Carcano needle gun, M1844/67:

Last edited by Nick; 06-18-2017 at 09:25 PM.

NICK, thank you for sharing a gorgeous weapon and a great piece of fire arm history with us. glad i asked what it was. i have never seen or heard of one. i did not know that the ITALIANS got in on the making of NEEDLE GUNS? only thought the FRENCH, and GERMANS made them. again a truly beautiful and historic piece.

There was an Italian needle gun on gunborker recently - went for well over 2000. SW

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/647163455
    Last edited by 5thDragoons; 06-19-2017 at 10:46 AM.

as I said NICK'S was a museum quality piece. I don't think they come any better! an UBER rare piece!

Here's another, apparently Volkssturm troops with Panzerfäuste. Is that an M41?

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Straight bolt handle - short rear sight... very good chance it's an M41. SW

This one might be in one of the recent books, but here it is anyway - two Soviet soldiers, one with a Moschetto.
    Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails capt.jpg  

For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

WOW!! what a great photo keep em coming. they got to be a good weapon when just about every country in the world seems to use them at various times! I wonder what the caliber is, 6.5 or 7.35? if it was captured from the FINS we know what it would be.

could it be that most weapons of the time held only 5 rounds? a sixth might make the difference between life and death, just a thought.

Would not have been captured from the Finns; they bought the 7.35mm M38 from the Italians, not the moschetto. Ralph

Default Old war time Carcano pics

Balillas this time. 1935 Fascist era youth at present arms, from Süddeutsche Zeitung files.
    Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails appell-von-jungen-der-balilla-legion-caio-duilio-1935_00919379_p.jpg  

For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Pat, nice image of "Marinaretti" (Little Sailors) armed with Balillas; I have seen a ton of pictures of little Fascists with Balillas, but I think this is a new one on me... thanks. Ralph

I found a Regia Marina Balilla cap tally at the militaria expo in Belgium a while back. Same vendor had Regia Aeronautica Balilla tallys, but I was low on Euros by that time. SW

Quote Originally Posted by ArianoKid View Post
    Pat, nice image of "Marinaretti" (Little Sailors) armed with Balillas; I have seen a ton of pictures of little Fascists with Balillas, but I think this is a new one on me... thanks. Ralph
    My pleasure, Sir!

Quote Originally Posted by 5thDragoons View Post
    I found a Regia Marina Balilla cap tally at the militaria expo in Belgium a while back. Same vendor had Regia Aeronautica Balilla tallys, but I was low on Euros by that time. SW
    Very neat, Steve. I don't collect militaria, but it sure seems that Europe has far more of it than we do. We make up for it with rifles, carbines and pistols, though

Pat
    For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Ariano Kid, thanks for the info!.

A pile of rifles captured from/surrendered by German troops, and being examined by American soldiers in Germany. There is a Model 1938 Short Rifle leaned against the rest of the rifles in the foreground. In addition to the expected K98k rifles, there is also a Berthier near the bottom and facing towards the camera, what appears to be a Gewehr 98 held by the soldier on the right, and a Norwegian Model 1912 Krag Carbine held by the soldier on the left.

Pat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails a43df0a74ab31e3d7d6cb1c8e7d104e2.jpg  

For My Fallen Brothers:
    WW 2001
    WS 2004
    MD 2009
    JH 2009
    ER 2009
    DS 2009
    DN 2009
    WB 2014

Never Forgotten.

Found more in a flash drive. (I really need to organize my shoe box of flash drives someday!)

Top - Carcanos under new ownership.
    Also a soldato with TS somewhere in East Africa.
    And wouldn't I like to rummage through that pile of captured Carcanos! Might find one of the 200 or so MIDA M91 long rifles from 1916! SW
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000.carcano2.jpg  

0000.carcano3.jpg  

0000.carcano1.jpg