Scope mounting recommendations wanted please

Thread: Scope mounting recommendations wanted please

Default Scope mounting recommendations wanted please

Hello All,

First let me say that I am asking you guys because in my eyes you are the people that can get the most out of a rifle. That being said the rifle will be primarily used for hunting to 300 yards, although if it shoots good enough I will be doing some very limited long range target shooting with it.
    The rifle I just purchased is a Carl Gustaf Model 3000, almost identical to the Colt Sauer. Chambered in 6.5X55 Swedish with a heavy 24 inch CG63 type barrel.
    I am leaning toward a Swarovski Z3 4-12 optics, but I am very open to suggestions with about a $1200.00 budget for scope and mounts.

My questions are....
    1. Should I get ballistic turrets, ballistic reticle, or will just a plex reticle and plain turrets work for what I will be using it for? Heavy or fine reticle?
    2. The rifle came without bases and the original bases are two piece aluminum dovetail type and look like the picture below. Should I go with them or Weaver type bases? And would steel Weaver type bases have an advantage over aluminum?
    3. What would be the best rings once I figure out what bases to go with.

Thank you, John

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	641416_01_colt_sauer_640.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	2110906

tuff to compromise on hunting and target work.
    heavy cross hairs for one, and very fine for the other.
    i would buy the best quality hunting scope, and learn to deal with less than best for target work.
    i happen to like burris signature rings with the plastic inserts, but for a hunting
    rig there are nicer looking/fitting rings.

Now if you really intend to use this for hunting, I'd recommend a simple fixed power scope with as wide a field of view as I could get. In my experience speed is the key. The faster you can acquire your target the better your chances.

Also I'd go with a mount set-up that allows you to use the iron sights, for close and sometimes very nasty critters. There are other things out there that are hunting, too.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Cougar Tracks in Mud.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	360.7 KB 
ID:	2111954 Fresh, mountain lion tracks.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

that ignores half of his question.
    with the 4-12x he can turn it down for hunting and up for target.
    single fixed power on a hunting rifle is pretty old school.
    even my big game friends use 2-7,1-4 on dangerous game rifles.
    just leave then cranked down most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post

single fixed power on a hunting rifle is pretty old school.
    Okay, guilty as charged.

Sure, these days I've seen hunters out here with more money wrapped up in their scope, than I'd pay for a used truck. I was real impressed with the high tech set up when the dude I'm thinking about missed a running doe fifty yards away.

What ever, it was free advice, and I meant well by it.

'bait,
    i agree some people make really poor choices,
    i do not see his 4-12 as a poor choice.
    ( i am biased, i have a 30mm tube 4-12x on
    my 30-06)

I'll also chime in and say the Burris zee rings with the inserts are all that I use anymore. They provide a good snug fit on the scope and due to the inserts do not mar the scope's finish. As far as bases are concerned I like the Weaver steel grand slam base sets. Weight difference is not an issue and the Weaver steel bases just look nicer than the anodized aluminum bases. Frank

Quote Originally Posted by ar10ar15man View Post
    'bait,
    i agree some people make really poor choices,
    i do not see his 4-12 as a poor choice.
    ( i am biased, i have a 30mm tube 4-12x on
    my 30-06)
    Well, you know it might just work out well for him. But I know it wouldn't work out for me simply because of the extra weight. At 4am on the way out I wouldn't mind the extra weight of a bigger more complicated scope. But just before dark three fourths the way coming back down off the mountain, every extra ounce seems like a ton, if you know what I mean.

The first thing to look at in scope selection is what kind of hunting you will be doing. If you will be hunting from a fixed position with a relatively short hike in (as I did with a hunting club in Finland), weight is not an issue. If you are going to be climbing mountains in search of elk or mountain sheep, weight is important. In a lightweight hunting scope, I'm partial to a Leupold 2.5x-8x. If the heavier weight isn't problem, the Swarovski or something like it is a great choice. If you are likely to be making quick shots at any range between 25 and 300 yards, a simple ballistic reticle (i.e. a plex with ranging dots) would work nicely. I wouldn't advise a complex, sniper-type reticle. Too easy to get confused when you're trying to make a shot.

On the question of scope mounts, on a rifle of that quality I wouldn't use either a traditional mount like the one in the photo or a Weaver. The turn-in mounts were designed back in the day when many rifles were drilled and tapped for scope mounting by country gunsmiths, and the windage adjustment was to compensate for sloppy hole placement. You don't need that on a high-end, factory-drilled rifle. I'd suggest something in a detachable, return-to-zero mount that would allow you to have two different scopes if you later decide you want to do long-distance target shooting. The EAW swing mount is a good one, and Warne also makes a nice product.

Hi
    I have a brand new in the box Swarovski 4-12 x 50 AV that I never got around to mounting. It has the BR reticle, that is the one with the holdover dots and dashes. Let me know if you might want it. Good luck

Personally I've found that with the new generation of "semi-target" (read indexed, finger adjustable, & re-settable for current zero) turrets like the better Nikons you can have your cake & eat it too.
    These are on my 2~8X32 Monarch, but there are several versions from several different manufacturers.
    “Americans talk a lot about the value of freedom, but are actually afraid of anyone who truly exhibits it”.
    : Billy (The kid / Dennis Hopper).