Hi-Point 45 pistol

Thread: Hi-Point 45 pistol

Default Hi-Point 45 pistol

Guys, is anyone familiar with Hi-Point's products? I would appreciate any feedback I can get.
    N.R.A. Life Member

They are reported to be pretty much indestructible and very reliable as you can find some utube torture tests on the 9mm.

I believe they have a lifetime warranty also

I just find them fugly as hell.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Yup, uglier than glocks ( barely ), cheaper than keltec.

Except in ultra rare instances, they go bang when you pull the trigger. If you run out of ammo, the pistol can be used as a hand weapon due to size and weight.

The carbine models are an even better product.

As stated, great warranty.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

That reminds me a friend of mine had the 9mm carbine years ago it was accurate out to 100 yards at our range.

Was built like a tank but was a pita to disassemble it.
    Laugh hard and often.

Gary

Cons: They have very bad ergonomics and handling, they really are not all that durable (seen more than a share broke by a simple drop) and are made from cheaper metals. They are blow back operated so felt recoil is greater than most other designs, it also makes them heavier than most other designs. The maker is anti hi capacity magazine.

Pros: Cheap, accurate, great warranty.

IMO the carbines are alot better than the pistols.
    When your smiling the whole world smiles with you

They're not all that durable or indestructible.

If you can save enough to buy one you can save enough not to

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    Cons: TThey are blow back operated so felt recoil is greater than most other designs, it also makes them heavier than most other designs. T.

I think you hit a contradiction. a locked breech should have a little more felt recial than a blowback.. and the extra weight helps for either style.

I see the last 2 posters claiming the guns are fragile.. While you can find a few pics of people that have blown up their high points.. I don't seem to find any of HP's that just fell apart setting there or attributed to small drops.

There are ont he other hand.. lots of expensive guns that have been damaged.. more pics of expensive guns damaged than hp's just sayin...

Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post

If you can save enough to buy one you can save enough not to

this,

save a few more sheckels and get something else,

while I have sold a bunch and have had none return for warranty work (unlike a taurus) they are big, blocky and just ugly,

the 45 is really large,
    what's so funny about peace love and understanding?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyman1903 View Post
    this,

save a few more sheckels and get something else,

while I have sold a bunch and have had none return for warranty work (unlike a taurus) they are big, blocky and just ugly,

the 45 is really large,
    What I've always wondered is why not stay steel instead of zamak?

While I don't own a modern HP pistol ( I do own a carbine, and they are stamped steel composite ), I do own a late 80's Haskel J?45 they are a steel framed gun.. take 1911 mags usually. and fall into the HP family.

blocky, heavy, fixed sights... but a steel gun.. I bought it as a beater truck/boat gun back then. that gun never , ever, has had a fail to fire, feed, or eject, which is impressive. In fact it still goes out if I need a gun on the boat.

Thanks Guys, I was offered one for $150 and didn't know enough about them to respond. If I got the thing it would probably stay at the house. It's size and weight wouldn't be much of a concern, just its reliability and durability.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Are you buying for a specific reason or just to buy something?

If you just want to spend money then go for it. Otherwise get something better, even if it just sits at your house. The S&W Sheild is a 1000 times better and right now they're running a rebate program. Mail in rebate for $70 and it puts your final purchase at under $300 (depends on what the original sticker price was). In my area the Shield is $350. Take $70 off of that.

Also, new HiPoints cost about $150 so if this is used.....

I think you can get a brand new one at my LGS for right around 150 or 160 so it's not a bargain for a used one. But the lifetime warranty goes with the gun. Offer them 75 and I bet they take it. They do make a nice doorstop.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyer35 View Post
    I think you can get a brand new one at my LGS for right around 150 or 160 so it's not a bargain for a used one. But the lifetime warranty goes with the gun. Offer them 75 and I bet they take it. They do make a nice doorstop.

agreed, 150$ is not a bargain..

I'd spend just a little over 300$ and get a RIA 45 first.

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
    I think you hit a contradiction. a locked breech should have a little more felt recial than a blowback.. and the extra weight helps for either style.
    No, more moving mass equals more felt recoil. I would take people out and let them shoot my RIA 1911 and the Hipoint SXS, it was amazing the difference in the feel even though they were shooting the same cartridge.

Quote Originally Posted by soundguy View Post
    I see the last 2 posters claiming the guns are fragile.. While you can find a few pics of people that have blown up their high points.. I don't seem to find any of HP's that just fell apart setting there or attributed to small drops.

There are ont he other hand.. lots of expensive guns that have been damaged.. more pics of expensive guns damaged than hp's just sayin...
    I never said they would blow up, just not all that durable as in parts breakage from simple things like dropping them. Again I think it's a combination of the heavy slide (needed for blow back operation) and weak metal or plastic in the frame, if they drop right they stand a good chance of breaking.

As for the $150 offer, I'd agree with the others I regularly see them used for under $100 and new close to $150 so used for that is not a deal at all.

It's a great training gun, the recoil pulse is over a longer period, so, as far as 'recoil' it's different...
    they are surprisingly nice to shoot, and often, far exceed your accuracy expectations (as long as your sights are good, and you have sighted in)

They help develop arm strength, and don't encourage mag dumping
    that said, everything said about how cheap they are is true, but you buy one, and pay shipping after that for each new one.... their warranty really is that good
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Quote Originally Posted by mriddick View Post
    No, more moving mass equals more felt recoil. I would take people out and let them shoot my RIA 1911 and the Hipoint SXS, it was amazing the difference in the feel even though they were shooting the same cartridge.

I never said they would blow up, just not all that durable as in parts breakage from simple things like dropping them. Again I think it's a combination of the heavy slide (needed for blow back operation) and weak metal or plastic in the frame, if they drop right they stand a good chance of breaking.

As for the $150 offer, I'd agree with the others I regularly see them used for under $100 and new close to $150 so used for that is not a deal at all.

I'd much prefer a blowback, heavy slide and a spring on a recoil heavy gun than a Ss or locked breach light weight gun. Inertia is HELPING you.

I guess that is true, my RIA is all steel and while locked breech and much lighter than the HP is not really a light weight firearm, still though when firing them SXS the RIA felt much less in recoil to everyone who fired it...

I got a Hi Point .45 several years ago on a dare that if I could break it using the same ammo and handling techniques I use for my 1911's & Glocks, the dealer would buy it back plus $25. Several years later, it's in a cheap nylon holster under my truck seat.

IMO, the major design flaw is the takedown pin you need to drive out with a punch in order to do any detailed cleaning. I also removed the mag disconnector spring from under the handgrip.

I've never had any problems with function - it's gone Bang every time. The bore is crudely finished with obvious toolmarks at the breech end, but it doesn't appear to hurt accuracy any. The trigger is better than a couple of ¢rappier Glocks I'd fired ... but not by much. Accuracy is on par with my Glock 21's.

A snooty shooter who belonged over at the Scottsdale indoor gun club range pointed & snickered at my Hi-Point when it sat on the table during a ceasefire at my range, so I challenged him to a match: Winner takes the loser's gun. Of course, I already saw his "skill level" on his targets, so it was a sucker bet. I beat him hands down & of course he reneged & wouldn't hand over his $1500 Kimber. Of course I hadn't expected him to, but the value of shaming him in front of all his snooty-tooty buddies, 'prolly sent his wrecked ego to extensive therapy.

And, of course, I was using my best handloads & he was using whitebox.

My thoughts: Buy one today so you will at least be armed. Meanwhile, you can be saving up for something better to upgrade to.
    "Hey Look! We've got Guns ... and We've got Snacks!"
    - Cdr. Samuel "Sam" Axe, USN, (ret) -

Not a single poster above rated this pistol as optimum, nor great. If you simply cannot afford anything other than a HiPoint, then its best to have a gun over no gun at all.

I cannot recommend this pistol unless its a last ditch situation and you have no other choice.

it's a good crap gun, day to day carry, it's a lead brick
    but, for something rattling around a tool box, tackle box, or truck
    works great, and if it breaks, the manufacture will make it right
    so... it's a great beater gun
    Live, learn and be happy.
    Vic

Its a POS, North Korea makes better pistols.

Avoid it unless you can't afford anything else.

The 9mm H Point is the No1 favorite gun of gang-bangers, all HP guns are ugly, heavy, made with cheap metal and have a forever warranty are at ugly as hell but are very reliable and Mac on Military Arms channel tested the 9mm compact last yr. and it did way better in his tests than guns costing 5x as much and he seemed very impressed with it.