Gunboards Forums banner

Sharps .50 cal model 1863

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Ordtech 
#1 ·
Hello fellow shooters/collectors/enthusiasts.

By way of inheritance recently I came to be the owner a several new firearms, of which the most interesting is probably this Sharps .50-cal Model 1863. And it was my curiosity about this firearm is actually what led me to join this community to see if anyone here could help me find out more about it.

It includes a 3 groove barrel, saddle ring, and patch-box in the stock. Serial number is 71754.

Any rough ideas of an estimated value on this? Anything else in particular I should look for that might be of interest?

Gun Revolver Trigger Shotgun Air gun
Personal protective equipment Photography Cameras & optics
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Air gun
Trigger Shotgun Rim Metal

Thank you!
-cg

See less See more
#2 ·
Flayderman's GUIDE will tell you quite a bit about the gun and help with determination as to whether altered or not (quick look at photos looks good to me, but I am NOT an expert on Sharps).

Blue Book or Standard Catalog or cruising on-line auction sites like Gunbroker will offer some ideas as to going pries.

#3 ·
Post war conversion to cartridge with a lined barrel.The bore looks ok as far as can be seen.Being a shooter would be a big plus value wise.I thought heirlooms were meant to be kept in the family,not sold so as to buy some new electronic tat.,but maybe Im just out of date.Regards John.

#6 ·
I found 2 carbines with close numbers. 71744, 10th Illinois, and 71740 1st Iowa. These were shipped with seemingly, no regard to any order. The early Sharps were slant breech but later were made straight. The patchbox was usually on the 1859 Sharps but by 1863, it was gone. The buttplate for the patchbox was used until gone. The last version before conversion was 1865 , made by Burnside of all people. [Some were made as 50-70 and so are not sleeved].The fact that it was sleeved means it was converted to use as an .50 centerfire, [50-70] . I have paid from $150 to $1250 for them though they are rarely under $2000, and don't sell !! I bought 50-70 cases from Dixie as well as .50 cal bullets and a hand primer. They are fun to shoot . Most were sent west with the black troops on the frontier, after the Civil War. Some may be marked . B

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.