Views:	17 
Size:	219.2 KB 
ID:	2117618
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	manual baikal 442-6-2.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	190.4 KB 
ID:	2117626

I'm not sold on the fixed rear sight yet, I'd prefer to keep the gun in the condition it was original sold in 199?

I'm trying to figure out the adjustable rear sight assembly. Looking at a couple manuals, part 33 is described as a Retainer in the Baikal 442 manual and a Lock in the IJ-70 manual. Then Numrich describes an Adjusting Rear Sight Elevation Plunger part #1397470B. I have seen some posts about this plunger falling out or some believing they were sold without them.

Does anyone have a detail picture of the sight assembly broken down? What is the orientation of the Plunger?

I would assume this is the main cause of the loose sight assembly, the spring is just loose with out the plunger's thickness or being their to guide the spring. That allows the set screw to back out. Does anyone have experience with replacing the missing plunger to solve the notoriously loose rear sight?

I think I have this mostly figured out now.

The plunger goes on top of spring, the small nipple facing up and that fits in a slot in the rear sight assembly to guide it. I didn't grab a picture, but you can see from this google image, the rear elevation set screw is keyed with 4 notches to lock up with the plunger, so it must be turned in 1/4 turns. The whole assembly was full of gunk. The plunger wasn't seating in the notches on the set screw, in fact it kept getting depressed and slipping completely under the site assembly. With the plunger set properly in the set screw the whole sight was much tighter.

Name:	IMG_0389_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	61.1 KB 
ID:	2119754

My plunger looks pretty rounded off, like its a softer metal and the set screw has worn it down. I wasnt able to get my sight assembly flipped up enough to pull the spring and plunger out, but I am wondering if replacing the plunger with a fresh one will help keep the sight tight?

Another image ripped from google. My plunger is notably worn so the nipple is much smaller than this image. It also looks dark grey, almost like the soft Zamak material used on Hi-Points and Jimenez Arms / Jennings low budget pistols (yes I have a guilty pleasure saturday night special collection).

Name:	IMG_0394_1024x1024.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	89.1 KB 
ID:	2119778