44 Izhevsk PU/MO sniper 44-48-51

Thread: 44 Izhevsk PU/MO sniper 44-48-51

Default 44 Izhevsk PU/MO sniper 44-48-51

Wasn't really looking to buy another PU sniper but the fact that this one is a 1944 and MO stamped to boot peaked my interest. So after much thought and a few Bourbons I made an offer and as you can see it was accepted. The rifle is well worn on the outside, the scope was replaced during one of its refurbishments and the scope number ground off, but the bore has great rifling and isn't counter-bored. looking forward to getting her to the range and getting her on paper.

"The only real power comes out of a long rifle."- Joseph Stalin

Miller Tyme, good 3/4 of my collection was bought after few Bourbons/Vodka/quite few beers or red wine. I thought it was only me beautiful rifle

Cheers (sound of clinking glasses)

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I just have to say, after a few glasses of Woodford Reserve, ALL of my rifles look beautiful!! Oh, and here in KY we do know our bourbon!

BTW, as an aside here, on a recent thread I brought up the issue of the 'C' mark on the receiver of Izhevsk PU's but it seemed odd to me that no one seemed to think this was a pattern. I had suggested that I had read a past thread about this a couple of years ago that confirmed my suspicion. Can you help clarify this for me? I have 2 of these and both have the 'C' on the receiver as yours. Thanks,
    Richard

Its a marking to denote that the gun was built as a sniper-снайпер. You see it on some SVT receivers as well. Its not on all but it does show up on some Izhevsk guns. I agree Jaws.
    Administrator of Gunboards.com
    Mosin Nagant.net
    Michigan Historical Collectables

"Tulta munille!"

"Terror is not a new weapon. Throughout history it has been used by those who could not prevail, either by persuasion or example. But inevitably they fail, either because men are not afraid to die for a life worth living, or because the terrorists themselves came to realize that free men cannot be frightened by threats, and that aggression would meet its own response. And it is in the light of that history that every nation today should know, be he friend or foe, that the United States has both the will and the weapons to join free men in standing up to their responsibilities."
    John F. Kennedy

The subject rifle in this thread was obviously built as a sniper. However, I remain unconvinced about any sniper designation being attached to the "C" sometimes seen stamped on the top edge of Izhevsk receivers.

The first time I saw mention of this theory several years ago, I happened to have bought two 1944 Izhevsk 91/30s that day, one an ex-PU and the other an original matching infantry rifle. The ex-PU had no "C", and the infantry rifle did.

I have some PUs and ex-PUs with the C and some without. And I have regular 91/30 infantry rifles (and for that matter, an M38) with the C.

All of which strongly suggests to me that it's just a random proof.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post
    The subject rifle in this thread was obviously built as a sniper. However, I remain unconvinced about any sniper designation being attached to the "C" sometimes seen stamped on the top edge of Izhevsk receivers.

The first time I saw mention of this theory several years ago, I happened to have bought two 1944 Izhevsk 91/30s that day, one an ex-PU and the other an original matching infantry rifle. The ex-PU had no "C", and the infantry rifle did.

I have some PUs and ex-PUs with the C and some without. And I have regular 91/30 infantry rifles (and for that matter, an M38) with the C.

+1. I agree. The only sniper mark you will see on Izhevsk PUs will be the circle c on the barrel. There is no consistency to the c stamped on the receiver.

So if you see a scrubbed scope # on the shank, no circle C, but a C on the receiver, how would that be explained?

I have never seen this. But if that was the case then that would mean that when the scope number was scrubbed (along with the whole receiver) that the circle c was scrubbed away. The circle c is always very lightly struck so it wouldn't take much to take it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol' Relic View Post

We have two ex-PUs. The '44 Izhvesk has both the circled C on the barrel and a small c on the top of the left-side bolt race. The '43 Izhvesk has only the circled C on the barrel. While my son's Classic Arms '43 Izhveck PU has a small c on the right rear hump back by the cocking piece, and the circled C on the barrel. So some do and some don't like you said. Here's the survey on the subject: http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...rs-please-help!

We have had this discussion many times before and I have always said it is not a marking you can rely on to determine if the rifle was a sniper when built.

Since most, if not all Izhevsk snipers had a scope number on the shank when built, then why not look there first? Then look for the circle C mark on the barrel if you are not already satisfied. The C receiver mark is hit or miss and may be random or ??.

Quote Originally Posted by msniper19 View Post
    I have never seen this. But if that was the case then that would mean that when the scope number was scrubbed (along with the whole receiver) that the circle c was scrubbed away. The circle c is always very lightly struck so it wouldn't take much to take it off.
    I went back and looked. Both the circle C and the 'C' on the receiver were on this rifle. I have another with both as well with the 8 on it. Here's the link for a survey on these.
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthre...rs-please-help!