9mm Luger brass trimmed to 9mm Mak

Thread: 9mm Luger brass trimmed to 9mm Mak

Default 9mm Luger brass trimmed to 9mm Mak

First, I am neither encouraging nor discouraging the use of trimmed 9mm Luger brass for use as 9mm Makarov.

But I have a bunch that I got from the estate of a very experienced and respected reloader who recently passed. Most are new that he had trimmed and some he had already belled the mouth for the slightly larger bullet.

I desire only to gauge interest and learn if this is a common and accepted practice. If there is any, I will list for sale or trade in the appropriate swap section, otherwise it goes to the metal recycler (cuz I don't have a Mak but would surely like one).

Comments welcome.

Jeff

I am a 9X18 shooter and just recently a reloader but I only reload 9X18 brass because I shoot at a public range. Many people do trim 9mm for 9X18 but I wouldn't want to shoot it at a public range where an unsuspecting person might pick it up and reload 9mm on it because of the label. If you shoot it on your private land I don't think it's a problem at all.

I've done this extensively with no problem. I mark the base of the cartridge with a red marker and do my best to keep track of my cartridges.
    Flyer35 does have a point about leaving modified brass laying around. That, and for my own ID I do the red marker bit. There's enough commercial boxer brass cartridges available now that I would probably not trim any new brass though.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

Anybody who reloads should always check thier brass regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by 2muchstuff View Post
    Anybody who reloads should always check their brass regardless.
    Agreed, once 9luger is converted to 9mak, its a very different case. Case gauge or caliper tells the tale.
    Sent from my Nokia 1020 win 8.1 phone

I have done it with a handful of 9x19 cases just to see if it works as well as others on the net have said it does. It does. I had zero issues. But I have over 1000 pieces of good 9x18 brass and I shoot way more .45 and 9x19 than I do 9x18 so for now, I have not trimmed any more for this purpose. If 9x18 brass ever dries up drastically and starts selling for even more ridiculous prices than it already does, I will certainly start using 9x19 brass.