Default Rules for C&R FFL

I just put in for my C&R FFL and hope to hear back from ATF in 4-5 weeks. When (if) if get the license how exactly does it work? I planned on getting 2-3 more Mosin-Nagant variety rifles, but I have a co-worker whose son would like a Mosin-Nagant 91/59 rifle off of aimsurplus.com. Can I buy it for him? I wouldn't charge him a transfer fee and would keep a record of the transaction for ATF.

Thanks..

Hi, and welcome to the boards.

To answer your first question: The BATFE will send you a book of regulations, if your application is approved. This usually arrives before the actual license. Read it. It has all the information you want to know.

Second: NO, you can NOT use your C&R to buy firearms on behalf of another. Not only would that constitute a straw purchase, but you C&R license specifically forbids being used to DEAL in firearms. To buy for another person, you would need a Class 01 (dealer, not a class 03 (C&R) license. Your co-workers son will have top contact a local Class 01 dealer, and pay the proper fees and fill out the correct paperwork.

Ok, thanks for the info. The dealer I got my 91/59 from only charged a $20 fee which I thought was a good deal. Now if only my wife would stop complaining about me taking the rifle to bed with me at night

You must remember the reason for the C&R is collecting. Museums are professional collectors and every museum in the world buys, sells and trades to get what they want for their collections. It's an inherent part of the hobby - just read the Trader forum.
    It's correct that you can't buy specifically for someone.
    However there are no limits on how many or often you can sell any surplus or culls from your collection.
    I've regularly bought in quantity (over 100 via Century's 3fers, 4fers) , kept the best, and sold and traded off the rest to feed my addiction/hobby. I now have about 40 collectible guns at a net cost of zero.
    So if your friend doesn't mind a cast-off, it's OK, but you just can't promise him anything.
    I swear by Jupiter Optimus Maximus .... in the army of the consul Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus and for 10 miles around it I will not steal anything worth more than a sestertius in any one day.

cpw is offline Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member

Quote Originally Posted by BubbaG View Post
    Ok, thanks for the info. The dealer I got my 91/59 from only charged a $20 fee which I thought was a good deal. Now if only my wife would stop complaining about me taking the rifle to bed with me at night
    Just do not let it get between the two of you
    Charlie

Remember, too, you must log all C&R firearms you either acquire or dispose of while your license is valid, regardless of whether or not you "use your license." (For the record, you do not "use" your FFL...you're either a licensee or you're not. No middle ground there.) As far as record keeping for the C&R FFL holder goes, once you are no longer licensed you are not required to send your bound books to the BATF like manufacturers and dealers must do.