A well travelled Peter the Great M91 - Austrian/Czech/SA/Civil Guard?

Thread: A well travelled Peter the Great M91 - Austrian/Czech/SA/Civil Guard?

Default A well travelled Peter the Great M91 - Austrian/Czech/SA/Civil Guard?

I picked this one up the other day, from a fellow member, thanks to a couple other fellow members.

I'd have to say this one is my favorite rifle in the new collection. It would appear it's been just about everywhere in its long history, with some scars here and there to show for it. Russian 1915 Tula PTG M91 with Austrian AZF, Czech S/Lion/4, Finnish SA, and possibly an old cancelled Civil Guard S#. Still not sure on that last one as it was overstamped by a "N" and a "X" at some point; either way, I love this rifle!

I also pulled the buttplate. Probably just a coincidence but the stock is also dated 1915. Also found that the tang indicated an 1899 Tula receiver, though I can't find the typical signs of a Finnish rebarrel. Wonder if it the barreled receiver could be as assembled back in 1915? Probably never know for sure.

I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking on this one, hope you enjoy!

Last edited by LottaMosins; 04-07-2017 at 11:51 PM.

Hey I have seen that one somewhere! Damn dude your pics are awesome!!
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

That just oozes history, great rifle.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

I just starting drooling in my coffee cup. Very cool rifle. History abounds in that old girl.

Quite an acquisition.

Very nice rifle and very nice photos! Lovely looking wood.
    Thank you for showing.

Peter the great though? Don't understand the connection...?

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook View Post
    Thank you for showing.

Tula inscription on the receiver. Made 14-18, I think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing PTG!
    Lotema

-- Below are my favorites from the safe... The others are near and dear to me but these ones are a little more special.
    1905 - M91 - Sestroryetsk
    1916 - M91 - Tula "Peter the Great"
    1917 - M91 - Remington
    1942 - M91 - VKT "B" Barrel
    1941 - M39 - Sako
    1952 - M44 - Radom (11)
    1947 - M91/30 - Izhevsk
    1944 - M91/30 - Tikka

The historic value of that one is far more than the rifle value! That is a gun that we KNOW would have some very interesting stories if it could talk! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Pukka Bundook View Post
    Thank you for showing.

"ИМПЕРАТОРА ПЕТРА ВЕЛИКАГО" = Imperatora Petra Velikago= Emperor Peter the Great

Looks great! Reminds me of the Johnny Cash song I've been everywhere.

Very nice, interesting to me the Finns kept the original barrel but marked it as modified for a d166 chamber, I don't think I've seen that before

So its a rifle captured by Austrians in WWI and likely sold to Finns post WWI...how does the Czech's get ownership...sold or given to them by Austrians at some point and then sold to Finns?

Just curious from a History stand point of the travels of the rifle , anyones ideas on that map sheet would be interesting to hear.

Yes, a fine rifle to own indeed, Congrats to the owner and thanks for those great photos. That old soldier is a treasure ~ !!

Quote Originally Posted by milprileb View Post
    So its a rifle captured by Austrians in WWI and likely sold to Finns post WWI...how does the Czech's get ownership...sold or given to them by Austrians at some point and then sold to Finns?
    The territory that became Czechoslovakia was part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire. Likely the rifle was already in Czech hands when the empire broke up.
    Nescire autem quid ante quam natus sis acciderit, id est semper esse puerum.
    (To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.)

-M. Tullius Cicero

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Very nice gun and very nice pictures! What camera are you using?
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Thanks to all for the kind words and compliments!

Nick, I've been using a Samsung NX500.

Nick is offline Super Moderator/Diamond Bullet member

Looks like a good camera. Time to replace my Kodak, awful optics...
    "It's impossible to grasp the boundless" - Kozma Prutkov

"Бросая в воду камешки, смотри на круги, ими образуемые; иначе такое бросание будет пустою забавою." - Козьма Прутков

"A який чоловiк горилку не п'є - то вiн або хворий, або падлюка." - Невідомий українець

Quote Originally Posted by LottaMosins View Post
    I've been using a Samsung NX500.
    Superb rifle! Great pics!

I hopped online and snooped at prices....boy that camera can be spendy! Takes turbo pics tho!

Pahtu.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Looks like a good camera. Time to replace my Kodak, awful optics...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pahtu View Post
    Superb rifle! Great pics!

I hopped online and snooped at prices....boy that camera can be spendy! Takes turbo pics tho!

Pahtu.
    I love it and it fits my needs perfectly! Thankfully I lucked out on a very gently used one on eBay, I paid less than half of what they retail for new, and it came with another lens.

It was still tough though, as I had to stop looking at mosins for sale for a minute so I could finally actually buy one, ha!

Yes I can see your attraction to this one. Funny years ago I would of turned my head from this one. Now I am envious. Congrats on this one. John.

I had an awful hard time sending that rifle on its way! Like Joe and I say we can't keep them all! If I remember right that is a pretty good shooter too! Very well behaved at range too. Just another one out of the Kevin Carney collection. Many more to come soon online I believe as summer kills the shows. That rifle and many like it sat on the gun show tables since last year now they go up for bidding once we finish up some other business around the home front. Don't bother emailing to ask what as we don't have time to answer stuff right now or later. Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    I had an awful hard time sending that rifle on its way! Like Joe and I say we can't keep them all! If I remember right that is a pretty good shooter too! Very well behaved at range too. Just another one out of the Kevin Carney collection. Many more to come soon online I believe as summer kills the shows. That rifle and many like it sat on the gun show tables since last year now they go up for bidding once we finish up some other business around the home front. Don't bother emailing to ask what as we don't have time to answer stuff right now or later. Bill
    Thanks again, Bill. I truly appreciate you letting this one join my collection. It is definitely the centerpiece!

Nice. I really like the ones that traveled. The unissued models are boring in comparison. Nice and shiny but I'd take one like yours anytime. One of the things the attracted me to Mosin Nagants was their history and how a lot of it can be unraveled. A journey told in wood and steel.