M28 at Knob Creek

Thread: M28 at Knob Creek

Default M28 at Knob Creek

Talked to a young fella Friday at Knob Creek carrying a nice M28 around that he had just bought for $300 and I teased him saying that ought to show up on Gun Boards but so far nothing? I am disappointed as it was a sweet looking rifle and he was rightfully proud of his recent purchase. I figured we would see it by now as it was a great buy and beautiful rifle. I still have hopes though! Bill
    zeebill live from the hills of West Virginia!

Damn It! I knew I should have gone. There's always something there to be found. Oh well, I'll take solace in the Izhevsk SKS I picked up on Friday!
    Was it a good show Bill? Any good deals? I will be there in the fall. Bank on that!

It was cold and dusty Friday but warmed up eventually. I found little to nothing other than that one M28. Prices were jacked up through the sky and all I heard was dealers crying no one is buying anything. Go figure out why. I stayed away from Knob Creek for many years after many physical deprivations and finding nothing to buy. Went to last 2 Knob Creeks and found little or nothing and have remembered why I stayed away all those years. Won't be going in the fall I decided already. Went to Pa. show Sunday and saw more there then Knob Creek and that made up my mind about going back.

I agree with poster above about needed improvements in parking and access but what really makes my mind up is dealers all seem to jack prices sky high and whine about nobody buying anything. That is why I tend to hit more and more local small shows in my older and maybe wiser old age. Younger and less experienced collectors abound at big shows these days and I guess that is a sign of the times?

What did I see? Things like a $1200 Remington Mosin M91 that was not worth a 1/4 of that condition wise, bet it sold though. A $2000 Kovrof SVT 40. Bayonets priced higher than I ever believed possible. $300 plus 91/30 refurbs. All the M44 and type 53's priced above $375 to in the $500 range. PU snipers from $950 on up. People shopping hard that had not idea what the Russian Dragoon I was carrying to sell even was, just a funny looking old 91/30 that needed to be refurbed to be wanted at all. Kind of disturbing to be honest about it but then a sign of the times I am afraid.

No I won't be going back in the fall and probably not for another 5 or 6 years if I am still around? It just doesn't make me think it is worth the money or time anymore. Bill

4. Remove Advertisements
    GunBoards.com
    Advertisements

All very legit points zeebill. I haven't bought anything there in years. Used to go there for surplus ammo and what ever oddities I could find. Still was able to find reasonable M14 parts on occasion and 1903 Springfield parts occasionally. Oh no doubt it has gained popularity with the masses and is much more like an overpriced flea market. The internet {thanks Al Gore and Vic} has made so much available to people that places like KC or Camp Perry have lost a lot of the original charm for a lot of us who remember the "old charm" of these types of places. Why go to KC to find a bargain, stay home and go on line. Even with ammo I gave up on KC long ago, pay the shipping and avoid the hassles. I still like going once every couple of years with my buddies, it is more of a camaraderie thing than what kind of deals we will find. My buddies and I are older now and retired or soon to be in my case. The people watching is great. One day is enough for me though. I wanted to go and see if a vendor had GI socks, that was my goal to go in the last few years. Last time I found a P27 or 26 Finn and a rough 1934 M27 both only $75 over priced for the time. If I got the time and money I go for those reasons. If I find a treasure fine, but don't count on it and save my money for real treasures {subjective subject}. Years ago Coles Dist used to have some real bargains on not so hard to find surplus rifles {at the time they were not anyway}. Guess that was probably over 10 years ago that I picked up $89 Romanian SKS and 1000 rd ammo for $79. Think that was the last year I saw cheap anything. Since then it is a greasy breakfast and people watching and mud. Watching people shoot thousands of dollars down range while smoking a cigar and acting bored is not my cup of tea. Who knows, the next time might be my last time too. Last time I went one day, let my buddies go back the second day. I walked a few miles from our motel and found a bunch of pawn shops to visit and enjoyed myself just walking around in relative peace and quiet. To each his own I guess. But certainly isn't what it used to be but then again either am I? Regards, John.

Many vendors at KC seem to have failed charm school and act like a question is an insult to them. I won't buy anything from a rude vendor. Except years ago I would buy from Paragon. It was a running joke amongst friends who could get the rudest insults from him. Had a lot of interesting over priced stuff and occasionally a good price. But he was a sour puss x10.
    Last edited by Handsome Devil; 04-11-2017 at 12:08 PM.

I know how you feel Bill. I've been collecting for around twenty years and it is almost comical to hear vendors complain about people not buying at these price levels. Being newer to this, I am more accepting of the new normal on prices. When you go to show after show and see commercial SKS's in the $400 range along with the Type 56 veterans or the refurb 91/30s in the $300 range, you begin to realize the lower priced days are behind us. I search for the deals like usual, but even the deals are higher these days. I found and bought a non-import '46 M44 at KC last spring because it was reasonable (by the new normal) and it may have been a vet bringback judging by its patina. I debated about the price, but bought it anyway. Glad I did. I'm with you though. I go to shows and end up leaving wondering why I even went knowing that prices were gonna be jacked up. Its that occasional find that keeps me going I guess. That chance of finding a seller that doesn't know what they have. Wish I could have chatted with you though. Would have been some good conversation. As for me, I will be there in the fall for sure.

I have to agree with Bill, prices were mostly high on some things. The mosin market is pretty much dead right now, as nothing is coming in right now, so it's gonna be limbo for a while I guess I didn't see any screaming deals, but I did see several fair deals. Ammo was at decent prices, not 54R, but prices are falling. I picked up some brown bear 9mm 500rnds for $75. MAinly ammo out there is gonna be the interent low price, without having to pay shipping.

A couple things that caught my eye was a crate of Yugo SKS rifles in the grease, some rifles had Yugo carvings from their civil war, $350 each. A nice VZ24, with lion crest looked all matching $250. Century had some hard to find ammo for fair prices as well.

Mind you this is my second trip there, but the mule drivers this time seemed awful grouchy. I'm not sure on how that operation works, if you are supposed to pay, tip or what, but a few didn't seem to give a crap if they helped anyone out. There were a few good ones though who'd give you a ride if you asked nice.

I might go back in the fall, just depends on how much money i have, and what other adventures Zeebill drags me on this summer
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

They'll always be a empty chair at the gunshows for you buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7170 View Post
    I have to agree with Bill, prices were mostly high on some things. The mosin market is pretty much dead right now, as nothing is coming in right now, so it's gonna be limbo for a while I guess I didn't see any screaming deals, but I did see several fair deals. Ammo was at decent prices, not 54R, but prices are falling. I picked up some brown bear 9mm 500rnds for $75. MAinly ammo out there is gonna be the interent low price, without having to pay shipping.

A couple things that caught my eye was a crate of Yugo SKS rifles in the grease, some rifles had Yugo carvings from their civil war, $350 each. A nice VZ24, with lion crest looked all matching $250. Century had some hard to find ammo for fair prices as well.

Mind you this is my second trip there, but the mule drivers this time seemed awful grouchy. I'm not sure on how that operation works, if you are supposed to pay, tip or what, but a few didn't seem to give a crap if they helped anyone out. There were a few good ones though who'd give you a ride if you asked nice.

I might go back in the fall, just depends on how much money i have, and what other adventures Zeebill drags me on this summer
    I saw those Yugo SKS', probably the best deal by far for a rifle in the whole place. I saw many with Bosnian fleur de lys carved in the stock. I should have purchased. I did get a bunch of 7.62x39mm for $.20 round and Yugo BHO mags new in cosmolene for $9. I did buy those in bulk. Didn't see the M28 or Zeebill, wish I had. I was there from 10a to about 2:30p. We had to park in the lower 40 and walk, and it was a vigorous walk at that. Per Google Earth, it was 3/4 mile from my car to the firing line. I walked that maybe 6 times in the course of the visit. Their shuttles were both down for a large part of the time we were there. They need to get that figured out, if I had any physical limitations I wouldn't be interested in making the walk. I go to KC almost every shoot, and as of the last couple years there is a real shortage of decent guns on dealer tables. The best bet is walk throughs, and I know I've seen rare guns and real deals to be had, usually walking out in member's hands.
    Veritas vos liberabit

Quote Originally Posted by selectfire View Post
    I saw those Yugo SKS', probably the best deal by far for a rifle in the whole place. I saw many with Bosnian fleur de lys carved in the stock. I should have purchased. I did get a bunch of 7.62x39mm for $.20 round and Yugo BHO mags new in cosmolene for $9. I did buy those in bulk. Didn't see the M28 or Zeebill, wish I had. I was there from 10a to about 2:30p. We had to park in the lower 40 and walk, and it was a vigorous walk at that. Per Google Earth, it was 3/4 mile from my car to the firing line. I walked that maybe 6 times in the course of the visit. Their shuttles were both down for a large part of the time we were there. They need to get that figured out, if I had any physical limitations I wouldn't be interested in making the walk. I go to KC almost every shoot, and as of the last couple years there is a real shortage of decent guns on dealer tables. The best bet is walk throughs, and I know I've seen rare guns and real deals to be had, usually walking out in member's hands.

Yeah I REALLY wish I had the money for one of those SKS's, the carvings were neat, like a time capsule! I did see the Yugo BHO mags as well, if I didn't already have 15, I would have bought more. I seen ALOT of stuff I could have bought in bulk if I had the money, but i just didn't this trip. Good thing about KC is if you are interesting in buying something in bulk, some vendors will deal with you, except for the guy selling 54R crates back in the fall, but that is another tale!
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

I drag in there with my 2 replacement knees at now 73 years old and it really starts to get to me these days. I especially have trouble with Afib now too and that will really knock the crap out of you but if the desire is there you do it! By the way I have already decided I will not make the fall trip as there is just not enough to make me go through it again. I'll maybe try and do some strenuous stuff out west like maybe Tulsa. I do the Reading Air show a day early too but I rent a scooter there. It is just well worth the time to take in some of that stuff. Airplanes are a passion of mine and last year I finally took a ride in a P51d Mustang for 50 minutes of pure bliss! That is off the bucket list at least! I will live without the frustrations of Knob Creek being as they refuse to do any real work on the place without total closing being faced if they don't. It is what it is and everyone should do it at least once but after that stuff is getting pretty thin down there and local shows far outstrip it around here. Plus we have a local machine gun shoot put on by DNA Guns local to here. I park where I set up there so you can't beat that! Bill

Quote Originally Posted by zeebill View Post
    I drag in there with my 2 replacement knees at now 73 years old and it really starts to get to me these days. I especially have trouble with Afib now too and that will really knock the crap out of you but if the desire is there you do it! By the way I have already decided I will not make the fall trip as there is just not enough to make me go through it again. I'll maybe try and do some strenuous stuff out west like maybe Tulsa. I do the Reading Air show a day early too but I rent a scooter there. It is just well worth the time to take in some of that stuff. Airplanes are a passion of mine and last year I finally took a ride in a P51d Mustang for 50 minutes of pure bliss! That is off the bucket list at least! I will live without the frustrations of Knob Creek being as they refuse to do any real work on the place without total closing being faced if they don't. It is what it is and everyone should do it at least once but after that stuff is getting pretty thin down there and local shows far outstrip it around here. Plus we have a local machine gun shoot put on by DNA Guns local to here. I park where I set up there so you can't beat that! Bill

Looking forward to Reading! Last year was my first trip, and it was very cool! Yeah, sometimes I wonder how you do it Bill, if it wasn't for your 2 new knees, I don't think you'd be doing much! You got the knees straitened out, then the heart acted up, guess you can't win for losing?

I do tend to agree on Knob creek. Alot of folks go there for the shoot, but neither one of us do, we just went for the gunshow, and while it is a "military gunshow" it is mostly MG parts, and the popularity of the place has jacked the prices out of site, as folks with more money then sense walk in there and pay outrageous prices for stuff. It just depends on how my wallet looks in the fall weather I go back, but in the end is it worth driving 5hrs to go to a gunshow?
    RIP Kevin Carney 10/3/14

Bill if I had two knee replacement and Afib kicking in and out, my attitude towards parking and such would be different. Actually packing in fields and walking on rough trails or all the uneven black top is hard on you when your older. I have no problems yet, but being a nurse in long term I do know what is coming down the pike. Both from watching the aging process and living it. Hope to meet you while we are both here someday. Regards, John.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
    Bill if I had two knee replacement and Afib kicking in and out, my attitude towards parking and such would be different. Actually packing in fields and walking on rough trails or all the uneven black top is hard on you when your older. I have no problems yet, but being a nurse in long term I do know what is coming down the pike. Both from watching the aging process and living it. Hope to meet you while we are both here someday. Regards, John.
    John I too look forward to meeting you some day too! Bill